MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 01:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm so tired of the constant circletalk with Brunson.

That's what happens when disaster strikes. From my POV, the Brunson series of events is behind most of the negative things going on with the team right now, to the point where I'm not able to muster up much energy for discussion about anything but that topic.

(01-15-2023, 03:30 PM)Jym Wrote: It didn't work out, but I wasn't mad that Nash left in the moment. I really thought he was on his last leg and falling apart 
The Brunson and Tyson decisions bummed me the fucked out tho. Both indefensible as far as I'm concerned

One thing Simmons always brings up with Nash that I think is germane to that conversation is that the hand check rules came into effect literally the very next season. Without that change, Nash and many others like him don't experience as much success. But, I suppose that's just another example of the Mavs being behind the curve predictively.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 05:30 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: This. If news had come out that the Mavs had at the very least matched NY's AAV on a 4 year deal or hopefully offered something like the 5/130-140 I suggested earlier and he STILL chose the Knicks, then I would at least respect that and would agree that he was headed to NY no matter what. But I just don't buy that argument when MacMahon has mentioned multiple times that the Mavs were firm at their "Fred Van Vleet money" offer (5/110).

To me, this take is so obvious and logical that I can't process why someone would argue against it. It's the definitive common sense viewpoint, imho.

(01-15-2023, 05:30 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Sorry you guys are so sick of talking about Brunson, but it's relevant considering we're in the exact same situation again with Wood.

Sure, but it's actually even more relevant than that, considering the lowered quality of play that seems mostly due to Brunson's departure. The team is really paying the price for this disaster, and while I can understand the inclination not to focus on the negative and depressing with one's free time, I can't understand the need to tell others they're wrong to acknowledge the extent to which a disaster is disastrous. The truth is that losing Brunson for nothing is as bad or worse than the failed Porzingis trade with NY, and the team is STILL trying to recover from that, years later. Now, they pile the Brunson thing on top? This was a REALLY bad mistake.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - sterlingmallory - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 07:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, but it's actually even more relevant than that, considering the lowered quality of play that seems mostly due to Brunson's departure. The team is really paying the price for this disaster, and while I can understand the inclination not to focus on the negative and depressing with one's free time, I can't understand the need to tell others they're wrong to acknowledge the extent to which a disaster is disastrous. The truth is that losing Brunson for nothing is as bad or worse than the failed Porzingis trade with NY, and the team is STILL trying to recover from that, years later. Now, they pile the Brunson thing on top? This was a REALLY bad mistake.

Can you imagine how good this team would be had we kept Brunson along with trading for Wood? There was like a 1 week period last June after the Wood trade that I was on absolute cloud nine thinking we would be a legitimate contender very soon. We would have had 3 playmaking guards AND the dynamic pick and roll partner I thought we were missing for Luka. The offense would have been unstoppable. Then with all of our picks coming available soon, we would have had enough assets to really start upgrading the defense around those guys and filling any other holes.

Instead we're now just hoping we can use even more assets to fill the hole we already had covered had we just kept the guys we already had.

(01-15-2023, 07:46 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Can you imagine how good this team would be had we kept Brunson along with trading for Wood? There was like a 1 week period last June after the Wood trade that I was on absolute cloud nine thinking we would be a legitimate contender very soon. We would have had 3 playmaking guards AND the dynamic pick and roll partner I thought we were missing for Luka. The offense would have been unstoppable. Then with all of our picks coming available soon, we would have had enough assets to really start upgrading the defense around those guys and filling any other holes.

Instead we're now just hoping we can use even more assets to fill the hole we already had covered had we just kept the guys we already had.

Again, all of this earns a big, fat "yep" from me. You and I are completely aligned on this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Chicagojk - 01-16-2023

This season feels like 1 step forward, 1 step back with a whole bunch of frustrating play.   Besides that run against poor teams (most close games too), this team has not had the ability to build momentum.

These next 4 games at home are important.  The first three are against teams who had higher expectations entering the year.  They have had similar ups and downs as the Mavs.   Mavs need to play good ball and find ways to win.   The fourth game is against Washington.    It would be great to go 4-0, but I will say 3-1 to allow for a tough loss.  Anything less will be disappointing.   It will be tough though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 08:07 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This season feels like 1 step forward, 1 step back with a whole bunch of frustrating play.   Besides that run against poor teams (most close games too), this team has not had the ability to build momentum.

These next 4 games at home are important.  The first three are against teams who had higher expectations entering the year.  They have had similar ups and downs as the Mavs.   Mavs need to play good ball and find ways to win.   The fourth game is against Washington.    It would be great to go 4-0, but I will say 3-1 to allow for a tough loss.  Anything less will be disappointing.   It will be tough though.

Who are the 4 teams they play next?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-16-2023

Can we please just get some players healthy?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 12:06 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Can we please just get some players healthy?

This. The team was missing 5 of its top 8 players last night. It's pro sports, so you need a "next man up" mentality, of course, but I feel like people aren't cutting them any slack.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This. The team was missing 5 of its top 8 players last night. It's pro sports, so you need a "next man up" mentality, of course, but I feel like people aren't cutting them any slack.

Iztok had a tweet showing offensive and defensive rating by team over time this season and Dallas basically hit top 10 defense right before Green/Finney/Maxi went down and then all hell broke loose on that end. I actually commend this team for being able to go 9-5 or whatever it’s at now over that timeframe while also missing games from Luka/Wood/Hardaway throughout as well. If you had told me that would be the situation/result I would have given it a resounding thumbs up (doesn’t mean it’s any more enjoyable to watch in the moment).

It’s a long season and everyone deals with injuries but man it’s impossible to gain any real understanding of how to get the most out of this roster when it’s never whole. Hopefully that slowly starts to change over the next week or so.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - sefant - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 12:22 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Iztok had a tweet showing offensive and defensive rating by team over time this season and Dallas basically hit top 10 defense right before Green/Finney/Maxi went down and then all hell broke loose on that end. I actually commend this team for being able to go 9-5 or whatever it’s at now over that timeframe while also missing games from Luka/Wood/Hardaway throughout as well. If you had told me that would be the situation/result I would have given it a resounding thumbs up (doesn’t mean it’s any more enjoyable to watch in the moment).

It’s a long season and everyone deals with injuries but man it’s impossible to gain any real understanding of how to get the most out of this roster when it’s never whole. Hopefully that slowly starts to change over the next week or so.

They also got pounded on the glass during that winning streak and nearly all season. Mavs are playing NBA at hard mode. Not much defense + maybe the worst rebounding team in the NBA.

Quote:During their seven-game winning streak, they were outrebounded five times, tied the board game once and won it by three rebounds in the other game.

They were a total of minus-47 on the glass in those seven games (minus 6.7 rebounds per game).

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - MaxiThreeba - 01-16-2023

Mark Cuban is too busy emailing mural artists for being “disrespectful” to realize he’s about to commit the same mistake two years in a row.  Screwing up with JB literally every single way they could is unforgivable.  

Backing that up with the BS Kidd has pulled with CWood this year and then potentially botching his contact situation…I would be disappointed in Luka if he didn’t start pushing for a trade at that point.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 01-17-2023

(01-16-2023, 09:01 PM)sefant Wrote: They also got pounded on the glass during that winning streak and nearly all season. Mavs are playing NBA at hard mode. Not much defense + maybe the worst rebounding team in the NBA.

Would most likely get even worse once the Mavs trade Wood.

Yes Wood doesn't box out like one would normally want in a big. Luka actually has better rebounding numbers, but I've seen Wood snatch highly contested rebounds wherein a vertically challenged Luka has no hope of getting to. I'm quite happy Wood can do this as nobody on the Mavs could. This is a big who is better than a 7'2" KP on the boards, and it's so refreshing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-17-2023

Cato on his podcast saying that Green should be back tomorrow night for the Hawks game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Chicagojk - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 11:52 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Cato on his podcast saying that Green should be back tomorrow night for the Hawks game.

Kidd said both Green and DFS both practiced and hopeful both can go tomorrow.   Hardaway did not practice, so he is probably out, I think

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 03:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kidd said both Green and DFS both practiced and hopeful both can go tomorrow.   Hardaway did not practice, so he is probably out, I think

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bfsnj11yptlvfg6pgjl...y.gif&ct=v]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - SleepingHero - 01-17-2023

(01-16-2023, 11:43 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Mark Cuban is too busy emailing mural artists for being “disrespectful” to realize he’s about to commit the same mistake two years in a row.

I think the main mistake Cuban continues to make (and probably will keep making for the foreseeable future) is that he thinks he can outsmart everyone and pull the rug underneath other GMs.

I just don't think he can wheel and deal like he could in the mid 2000s. Getting valued vet players for pennies on the dollar isn't really a thing anymore. 

As to letting Wood go, if he leaves so be it. Should they not actually get any value from him and let him walk for free it'd be yet another example of Cuban being a dolt and running this team into the ground.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Kammrath - 01-17-2023

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1615451940405534730

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 25th D | 16th Net | 5th in West | - Chicagojk - 01-17-2023

from John Hollinger

travel Geekery: Dallas and Portland
I stopped in Portland this past weekend to catch back-to-back meetings between Dallas and Portland, and the less we say about the games, the better. It was a good showcase of life in the middle of the Western Conference pack, with Dallas betraying its mid-road-trip wear and tear just as the Blazers were coming back to full strength.
The Blazers ended up smashing Dallas twice, but the bigger takeaways came in talking to people around these teams and thinking about their futures. Neither is good enough to contend for anything important right now despite the individual brilliance Luka Dončić and Damian Lillard (averaging a cool 38 points per game over his last five games), but both clubs could be stealth trade deadline entrants.

Dallas played without Christian Wood in the first game and Dončić in the second, and it underscored how wanting the rest of the roster is. Spencer Dinwiddie has been the Mavs’ only other reliably productive player; Dallas, amazingly, has used five different players at least 250 minutes this season who have produced a single-digit PER (and, no, JaVale McGee isn’t one of them).

Standing $15 million into the tax, locked in on some ugly contracts (including the recent McGee own goal) and already owing a 2023 first to the Knicks, it’s not totally clear how the Mavs can fix this in the short term. Wood is a free agent after the season whose price tag is going up, which means the tax is likely in play for 2023-24 as well. Can Dallas use a 2025 first to get out of this mess? Is Josh Green enough of a carrot to swing a deal? Can I interest you in Dāvis Bertāns? Expect the Mavs to be active, but it’s going to be hard to do anything that moves the needle prior to the offseason, when Dallas’ 2024 first-rounder is in play.

(01-17-2023, 04:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: from John Hollinger

travel Geekery: Dallas and Portland
I stopped in Portland this past weekend to catch back-to-back meetings between Dallas and Portland, and the less we say about the games, the better. It was a good showcase of life in the middle of the Western Conference pack, with Dallas betraying its mid-road-trip wear and tear just as the Blazers were coming back to full strength.
The Blazers ended up smashing Dallas twice, but the bigger takeaways came in talking to people around these teams and thinking about their futures. Neither is good enough to contend for anything important right now despite the individual brilliance Luka Dončić and Damian Lillard (averaging a cool 38 points per game over his last five games), but both clubs could be stealth trade deadline entrants.

Dallas played without Christian Wood in the first game and Dončić in the second, and it underscored how wanting the rest of the roster is. Spencer Dinwiddie has been the Mavs’ only other reliably productive player; Dallas, amazingly, has used five different players at least 250 minutes this season who have produced a single-digit PER (and, no, JaVale McGee isn’t one of them).

Standing $15 million into the tax, locked in on some ugly contracts (including the recent McGee own goal) and already owing a 2023 first to the Knicks, it’s not totally clear how the Mavs can fix this in the short term. Wood is a free agent after the season whose price tag is going up, which means the tax is likely in play for 2023-24 as well. Can Dallas use a 2025 first to get out of this mess? Is Josh Green enough of a carrot to swing a deal? Can I interest you in Dāvis Bertāns? Expect the Mavs to be active, but it’s going to be hard to do anything that moves the needle prior to the offseason, when Dallas’ 2024 first-rounder is in play.

One thing that injuries to a team can really highlight is how much national pundits are really paying attention to details at a team level (it's very difficult so it's not really their fault).  Hollinger watching a game with 5 of our 8 rotation players out and trying to make anything of "the rest of the roster" is kind of funny to me.

Russilo did this the other day in his podcast.  He admittedly doesn't watch a lot of Mavs because "Luka is so good it's boring" and then when listing off injuries "that should be noted" he kind of laughed at the idea "the also keep listing Josh Green because I guess he's a huge part of the rotation now".  Shit like that drives me crazy, Josh Green was arguably our 2nd most consistent contributor before he got hurt and we get some sarcastic hand waiving from a guy who prides himself on reporting player development?

It's just weird to me because I like a respect Russilo because he clearly watches a TON of games but it's always clear to me who isn't watching YOUR games when they say stuff like that.