MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - sterlingmallory - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 07:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
sterlingmallory Wrote: Wrote:[*]They get his initial contract right, he'd still be a Mav   
[*]He wasn't going to sign a contract that gave the Mavs control at the end of it.

[*]They offer him the extension before he clearly starts to take off, he'd still be a Mav
[*]New York State of Mind is not only a great song, it's been Brunson's sole goal to return.

[*]They offer him more than 5/110 in free agency and I think there's a great chance he'd still be a Mav
[*]He got the contract offer he wanted from NYK (they could have offered more) before FA started and had little to no more contact with Dallas.
[*]

The FO surely screwed up in that they didn't show JB they valued him enough to woo him to stay. He got his shot to start after injury to teammates. He earned his own right to stay there, but that is on him, not the coaching staff or the FO. 

There are so many millions of theories of what happened, anyone's guess is no better than the next. Like I said before, spilled milk. Clean it up and move on, IMO.
[*]

You're suggesting that a rookie that was drafted in the second round was going to refuse to sign a contract that allowed the team control at the end? I'm not going to even bother refuting that one.

Sure, if it makes you feel better to think that the FO were absolutely helpless to avoid what happened every step of the way then by all means. I on the other hand will continue to suspect that the organization that has a history of undervaluing it's own players and letting them go for nothing probably just undervalued another player and let him go for nothing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 07:40 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: They made it pretty damn easy to choose the Knicks when they lowballed him. Cuban the dolt bragged about not being worried because the Mavs could offer the most money and then proceeded to not offer the most money when it actually came down to it. 

I want to move on from this JB talk.
But apparently, the Mavs aren't.
No lessons learned.

It's a bit different, but the Wood situation feels the same.

36M/2years is definitely reasonable for the Mavs, but in the current rate of how Wood is playing, that's becoming more and more unrealistic. IMHo, that's already a low ball offer. If the Mavs continue the negotiations with a "you-need-us-we-can-replace-you" approach, then they better trade Wood. 

Because when Wood hits free agency, Mark's going to (again) tell everyone, the Mavs have the most to offer.
But if course he wouldn't follow thru with it and say the price tag is now ridiculous.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ItsGoTime - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 08:36 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Sure, if it makes you feel better to think that the FO were absolutely helpless to avoid what happened every step of the way then by all means.
It doesn't make me think one way or the other, it's a theory that has no more validity than yours does. Not even sure I believe it, like I said, it's just 1 of millions of theories of the truth. Go ahead and stay miserable about it. It sucks that it happened, but it happened.

Also, let the FO off the hook? If you've read even a few of my posts through the years, you'd know I love a good FO pile on.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ThisIStheYear - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 08:36 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: [*]

You're suggesting that a rookie that was drafted in the second round was going to refuse to sign a contract that allowed the team control at the end? I'm not going to even bother refuting that one.
[*]
This idea that a rookie second round pick who I don’t even think could go back to college could dictate the terms of his contract is the dumbest thing I’ve read in some time. Must be a Cuban burner account.  And no way Brunson turns down an extension after his third year. The Mavs just shit the bed.  And they did it trying to build around a GOAT level player.  It’s an unforgivable front office mistake.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - loki - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 08:41 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I want to move on from this JB talk.
But apparently, the Mavs aren't.
No lessons learned.

It's a bit different, but the Wood situation feels the same.

36M/2years is definitely reasonable for the Mavs, but in the current rate of how Wood is playing, that's becoming more and more unrealistic. IMHo, that's already a low ball offer. If the Mavs continue the negotiations with a "you-need-us-we-can-replace-you" approach, then they better trade Wood. 

Because when Wood hits free agency, Mark's going to (again) tell everyone, the Mavs have the most to offer.
But if course he wouldn't follow thru with it and say the price tag is now ridiculous.

In my view the 4 year $77m extension offer should have been on the table Dec 24th. Of course, it would have been a lot easier to determine he was worth that if they just put him in the lineup instead of playing childish psychological games.

Let's hope there is still time to salvage the situation. Losing the 2nd best player on the team two years in a row would be a catastrophe. But at this point if I'm Wood's agent, I'm probably telling him to turn down the 4 year deal if the Mavs ever get around to offering it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 07:40 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Yeah, lets see how badly Brunson actually wants to be a Knick if we offered like 5/130 or something like that. Considering Tyler Herro got 4/130 and Jordan Poole got 4/120, 5/130 for Brunson or maybe even a little bit more isn't so bad.

Right there with you, fam. 

Brunson is underpaid on his current contract, and all of my Knicks fan friends are starting to figure that out, one by one. 

I think the sentiment that he has more chances to put up numbers out from under Luka is quite valid. I agree that his averages wouldn't be as high here, and in a world where the Mavs had offered a bigger deal and been able to keep him there would be loads of Mavs fans who thought he was overpaid. From a certain angle, I think they'd be right. 

But, on the other hand, if you're watching the team this season and not registering the degree to which he is missed, you're flat out lying about watching, I think. So...from THAT angle, it seems pretty easy to see that his impact is about more than just his higher averages. 

I think the Mavs will regret the series of events that led to Brunson's departure for a decade, and there's a chance Brunson, himself, might end up regretting it, too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - cow - 01-15-2023

I don't think 5/130 would have convinced him.  He can opt out of his current contract when he is 28.  He is also afforded a much better opportunity at a massive contract by running the show with the Knicks.  He wouldn't be putting up anywhere near the numbers if he had stayed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-15-2023

(01-14-2023, 11:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Right there with you, fam. 

Brunson is underpaid on his current contract, and all of my Knicks fan friends are starting to figure that out, one by one. 

I think the sentiment that he has more chances to put up numbers out from under Luka is quite valid. I agree that his averages wouldn't be as high here, and in a world where the Mavs had offered a bigger deal and been able to keep him there would be loads of Mavs fans who thought he was overpaid. From a certain angle, I think they'd be right. 

But, on the other hand, if you're watching the team this season and not registering the degree to which he is missed, you're flat out lying about watching, I think. So...from THAT angle, it seems pretty easy to see that his impact is about more than just his higher averages. 

I think the Mavs will regret the series of events that led to Brunson's departure for a decade, and there's a chance Brunson, himself, might end up regretting it, too.

For what he's being paid, l don't think he has any regrets at all. He gets to run his own team, and the Knicks are markedly improved since he came aboard.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - KillerLeft - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 01:43 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: For what he's being paid, l don't think he has any regrets at all. He gets to run his own team, and the Knicks are markedly improved since he came aboard.

Oh, I agree, but the Knicks are the Knicks. How long will he even be there? Will he be allowed to be the engine for the rest of his career, even if he is there long term? Hence "might end up regretting".

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ItsGoTime - 01-15-2023

Devin Harris went to NY and was an allstar the first year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Chicagojk - 01-15-2023

(01-14-2023, 03:43 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I know we have some apologists here who take a position that this or that player has a wart and isn’t perfect for Luka so it’s not that big a deal he left. But Luka is probably at least the third greatest talent I’ve ever seen going back to the Showtime Lakers and he has true GOAT potential. His arrival to the NBA reminds me of when Federer came onto the scene in tennis and started dominating the Americans. He’s just a revolutionary player.  You don’t need a perfect team around him just a good one. He’ll cover up many warts.  Just get him some good players even if they don’t fit.  Luka can do just about anything at an all star level except defend and he’s even decent at that now. He can cover up a roster gap or two or an imperfect fit. He just can’t cover every gap at once. There’s no excuse for losing a borderline all star for nothing when you’re building around a generational talent.

Good post.  I can certainly understand looking for the ideal matches to surround Luka.   But my thing is you need to put a high priority on guys who are mentally tough and know how to play the game.  That is more important to me than ideal measurements.   Luka is ready to win now, so you need guys who will be there in those tough moments.  I always felt this was something the organization constantly minimized with Jalen.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - mvossman - 01-15-2023

(01-14-2023, 07:40 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The Mavs FO had every chance in the world to keep Brunson. I don't understand why people want to keep rationalizing and letting them off the hook.
  • They get his initial contract right, he'd still be a Mav
  • They offer him the extension before he clearly starts to take off, he'd still be a Mav
  • They offer him more than 5/110 in free agency and I think there's a great chance he'd still be a Mav
They probably cancelled the last meeting in NY because he and his agent already knew where the Mavs stood on their contract offer. It's not like they had never talked before. Do people honestly believe that meeting in NY was the only chance the Mavs had to make an offer? That's ridiculous. They couldn't call or text his agent? Lol. There's no point in meeting again when they wouldn't even come close to the AAV that the Knicks were offering.  

Blah blah blah his dad works for the Knicks, he only wanted to play for the Knicks, those are all just bullshit excuses designed to let the idiots running this team off the hook. Money talks. They made it pretty damn easy to choose the Knicks when they lowballed him. Cuban the dolt bragged about not being worried because the Mavs could offer the most money and then proceeded to not offer the most money when it actually came down to it. 

Yeah, lets see how badly Brunson actually wants to be a Knick if we offered like 5/130 or something like that. Considering Tyler Herro got 4/130 and Jordan Poole got 4/120, 5/130 for Brunson or maybe even a little bit more isn't so bad. Don't tell me he wouldn't be worth that because he's averaging 22ppg and is probably going to be an all star this year, and anyone with eyes should have been able to see that coming. I sure as hell could see it, especially that Utah series that Luka missed most of. The cap is about to spike and he'd be like 30 at the end of a theoretical 5 year deal. It wouldn't have been that bad, certainly not as bad as just letting him go for nothing despite being capped out.

No, Mark Cuban is a moron and bears full responsibility for Brunson leaving, just like he does for Nash leaving and for Tyson leaving. That kind of history and people still want to say it's not the FO's fault that Brunson left? Please.

You are making statements of fact that I don't think are so certain.

If they gave Brunson a typical contract, he would have been a restricted free agent the prior season.  The Nicks were already coveting him and have shown a willingness to clear cap space to get him.  Suppose they give him a 15 mil AAV offer sheet at that time.  Brunson was a backup point guard who disappeared in the playoffs.  A lot of folks on the board did not think he was worth a max extension and I think more of us would have choked on 15 per at that point in time.  I could easily an S&T situation then, and the return would have been limited.

There is no question in hindsight that the Mavs should have offered Brunson the max extension last offseason, but there was speculation even then that Brunson would not have taken it.  Guys like Followell and others made suggest they thought Brunson wanted the chance to run his own team and would never have it with the Mavs.

As Cow said above, I don't think the Mavs win a bidding war with the Nicks, and its not just because I think he wanted to run his own team and his daddy was in the organizations.  Brunson will be more valuable running the Nicks than playing off guard to Luka on the Mavs.  Not only does it make sense for Nicks number to be higher than Mavs number, it makes sense for Brunson from a long term perspective to maximize his value with Nicks for his next contract.

The point is not to "let the Mavs off the hook".  I have always argued that they bungled the situation from an asset perspective.  I just don't think there was much chance of Brunson being a long term Mav.  If they had managed to get him on that extension, its very likely they would have traded him by now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - omahen - 01-15-2023

I don't get this. All these theories if Brunson would have signed or not at all. There are two simple facts:
1. Mavs never offered an extension until end of TDL and
2. Mavs didn't offer a higher contract than NY.

Mavs. Didn't. Even. Try.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ballsrchr - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 12:43 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't get this. All these theories if Brunson would have signed or not at all. There are two simple facts:

Mavs. Didn't. Even. Try.

I don't think Brunson would still be here even if they had tried.  I suspect hiring Rick Brunson as a coach for the Knicks was one of the preconditions for JB to move to the Knicks.  In other words...the move was decided long before the season was over.

I guess I don't fault JB.  He would never have got the chances and accolades playing behind Luka.  He would have left millions over a career to play behind Luka. 

Dirk was loyal...but even he got enough money to keep himself happy...

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - cow - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 01:19 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I don't think Brunson would still be here even if they had tried.  I suspect hiring Rick Brunson as a coach for the Knicks was one of the preconditions for JB to move to the Knicks.  In other words...the move was decided long before the season was over.

I guess I don't fault JB.  He would never have got the chances and accolades playing behind Luka.  He would have left millions over a career to play behind Luka. 

Dirk was loyal...but even he got enough money to keep himself happy...

That's the ifs and buts of it.  Mavs could have done everything perfectly and JB still might have walked.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - SleepingHero - 01-15-2023

I'm so tired of the constant circletalk with Brunson.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - dirkfansince1998 - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 01:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm so tired of the constant circletalk with Brunson.

Your lucky that social media wasn´t as big of thing when Nash left. In the end the PR damage isn´t nearly as bad.
Even as a Brunson believer I don´t expect him to end up as a 2x MVP. And thankfully he ended up in the east so he won´t get the chance to eliminate the Mavs in a playoff series.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - SleepingHero - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 02:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Your lucky that social media wasn´t as big of thing when Nash left. In the end the PR damage isn´t nearly as bad.

I was just thinking about that. Cubes got off way too easy with Nash and still does tbh.

Hopefully he starts to feel the heat.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Jym - 01-15-2023

It didn't work out, but I wasn't mad that Nash left in the moment. I really thought he was on his last leg and falling apart 
The Brunson and Tyson decisions bummed me the fucked out tho. Both indefensible as far as I'm concerned

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - sterlingmallory - 01-15-2023

(01-15-2023, 12:43 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't get this. All these theories if Brunson would have signed or not at all. There are two simple facts:

Mavs. Didn't. Even. Try.

This. If news had come out that the Mavs had at the very least matched NY's AAV on a 4 year deal or hopefully offered something like the 5/130-140 I suggested earlier and he STILL chose the Knicks, then I would at least respect that and would agree that he was headed to NY no matter what. But I just don't buy that argument when MacMahon has mentioned multiple times that the Mavs were firm at their "Fred Van Vleet money" offer (5/110).

Even that still wouldn't let them off the hook for botching his rookie contract or not trading him at the deadline once it was clear the extension was off the table, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Sorry you guys are so sick of talking about Brunson, but it's relevant considering we're in the exact same situation again with Wood. Teams that are serious about contending don't let someone they can't afford to lose hit UFA. Extend him or trade him. They should have done it with Brunson and they better damn well do it with Wood. 

What pisses me off the most is the whole Brunson saga left me with the impression that this Mavs organization isn't serious about being a true contender. It leaves me with the impression that they're more concerned about the budget more than anything. They'd rather be pretty good and stay within budget and just hope they catch lightning in a bottle one year than commit to being a perennial contender. When you have someone as good as Luka that is absolutely unforgiveable and I will complain about it on message boards like this until the end of time if I have to. The clock is ticking and we're getting closer and closer to being Cleveland during Lebron's first stint every day that goes by.