MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - Kammrath - 01-11-2023

[Image: FmL3j3nWIAEvH8J?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - Kammrath - 01-11-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1613038586177400833

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - Chicagojk - 01-11-2023

It is only one game, but last nights game and similar games against the Celtics and Cavs really give you a depressing feeling how the Mavs get out of this rut in the Luka window.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - KillerLeft - 01-11-2023

(01-10-2023, 11:04 PM)Tunesquad23 Wrote: https://youtu.be/98GWetZc1Lk

Some interesting things that former Mav Jerry Stackhouse said. I enjoyed listening to him.

This was great! Thanks for finding/posting.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-11-2023

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-luka-doncic-passes-kobe-bryant-kevin-durant-with-epic-clippers-distinction

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - Chicagojk - 01-12-2023

Sort of disappointing we have one regular player who isn't afraid to put their body on the line with charges.  Props to Hardaway though.   I don't think he is as good as Jalen as this who sacrificed his body on players barreling into the lane, but disappointing no one else is even close to doing this on the roster.

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1613574903680073729

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - Chicagojk - 01-12-2023

Sort of surprised it wasn't Cuban that was being taken advantage of....

https://twitter.com/JohnMartin929/status/1612981751902617601

RE: MAVS NEWS: 6th O | 22nd D | 10th Net | 4th in West | Kemba waived - SleepingHero - 01-12-2023

(01-12-2023, 12:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sort of surprised it wasn't Cuban that was being taken advantage of....

I think Cubes was well aware of Parsons knees given how close they were, hence why they didn't even make an attempt to resign him. Parson's was a big what-if from the mid 2010's for the Mavs. Had he worked out we'd have had

Jameer/Monta/Parsons/Dirk/Tyson one year and that team was lethal. Could've definitely made some noise.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Kammrath - 01-13-2023

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1613889457219928065

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ThisIStheYear - 01-14-2023

Another 34 points from Brunson.  Who thinks the Mavs could use that guy. What a boneheaded series of decisions by Cuban that led to the loss of such a great player so early in his career with no return. Franchise killer. The Mavs would be leading the West if they had just evaluated their own player correctly.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Mavs2021 - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 02:45 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Another 34 points from Brunson.  Who thinks the Mavs could use that guy. What a boneheaded series of decisions by Cuban that led to the loss of such a great player so early in his career with no return. Franchise killer. The Mavs would be leading the West if they had just evaluated their own player correctly.

Yup. It´s amazing that to build a title contender around the best player in the league is actually not that difficult, if you just make some "normal" moves.The two best players on a 24-19 Knicks team were begging to the Mavs. Markkanen, an All-Star was begging to be a Maverick.

We could easily have this team:

Doncic 37/Dinwiddie 18/Ntilikina 2
Brunson 28/Green 3/Hardy 1
DFS 12/Bullock 10/Vet Min
Markkanen 16/Randle 24/Bertans 16
Kleber 9/Wood 16/Powell 10

$194M vs. $163M now

The roster is not even that much more expensive and everybody is locked into long-term contracts that will actually look very nice, when the cap explodes.

If you pay two first rounders to get rid of Bertans/Powell you end with roughly the same pay-roll we have now.

Anyone think you can get a Markkanen, Randle and Brunson combination level of singular talent for just two first round picks?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-14-2023

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2023/01/13/luka-doncic-mural-in-deep-ellum-targets-dallas-mavericks-front-office-please-send-help/

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - mvossman - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 02:45 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Another 34 points from Brunson.  Who thinks the Mavs could use that guy. What a boneheaded series of decisions by Cuban that led to the loss of such a great player so early in his career with no return. Franchise killer. The Mavs would be leading the West if they had just evaluated their own player correctly.

There is no question they screwed the pooch from an asset standpoint with Brunson, and we really miss him when Luka is not on the court.  But a lot of the complaints folks make about Dinwiddie could apply to Brunson as well.  He could be a bit of a ball stopper on offense and his defense is even worse than Dinwiddie's this season.  He has the worst D rating on the Nicks.  He also would not be putting up these kinds of numbers with Dallas because he would spend too much time on the court with Luka.  

Brunson is the kind of player that needs the ball in his hands to be most effective, which means he was always going to be somewhat constrained playing with Luka on the court.  Unfortunately most really good offensive players need the ball in their hands, and it makes it tough to find high level players who both fit well with Luka and would want to play with him.  I think that's why folks are so interested in the Toronto guys.  They are all good defenders who are used to sharing the ball with other creators, and all of them flourished next to a superstar on way to a championship.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - mvossman - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 05:54 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yup. It´s amazing that to build a title contender around the best player in the league is actually not that difficult, if you just make some "normal" moves.The two best players on a 24-19 Knicks team were begging to the Mavs. Markkanen, an All-Star was begging to be a Maverick.

We could easily have this team:

Doncic 37/Dinwiddie 18/Ntilikina 2
Brunson 28/Green 3/Hardy 1
DFS 12/Bullock 10/Vet Min
Markkanen 16/Randle 24/Bertans 16
Kleber 9/Wood 16/Powell 10

$194M vs. $163M now

The roster is not even that much more expensive and everybody is locked into long-term contracts that will actually look very nice, when the cap explodes.

If you pay two first rounders to get rid of Bertans/Powell you end with roughly the same pay-roll we have now.

Anyone think you can get a Markkanen, Randle and Brunson combination level of singular talent for just two first round picks?

We had no avenue to get Markkanen.

Randle is having his second season of 4 where he is worth his contract and would not be a good fit with Luka.

Brunson was not begging to be/remain a Mav.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - Mavs2021 - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 11:07 AM)mvossman Wrote: There is no question they screwed the pooch from an asset standpoint with Brunson, and we really miss him when Luka is not on the court.  But a lot of the complaints folks make about Dinwiddie could apply to Brunson as well.  He could be a bit of a ball stopper on offense and his defense is even worse than Dinwiddie's this season.  He has the worst D rating on the Nicks.  He also would not be putting up these kinds of numbers with Dallas because he would spend too much time on the court with Luka.  

Brunson is the kind of player that needs the ball in his hands to be most effective, which means he was always going to be somewhat constrained playing with Luka on the court.  Unfortunately most really good offensive players need the ball in their hands, and it makes it tough to find high level players who both fit well with Luka and would want to play with him.  I think that's why folks are so interested in the Toronto guys.  They are all good defenders who are used to sharing the ball with other creators, and all of them flourished next to a superstar on way to a championship.

I don´t buy this ball in hands and want to play with BS at all. Just an excuse for the owner and front office.

Guys want to be paid and win.

We have never seen Luka play with 2-3 truly elite offensive players. Yet Wood is having the best offensive season of his career factoring in percentages. Dinwiddie is having the best offensive season of his career factoring in percentages. They are basically scoring a little less, but on much higher efficiency than they did as #1 options on loser teams.

Brunson was getting better every year in Dallas and I´m sure he could have made another leap this season, too. The only reason Brunson is not in Dallas right now is Cuban. 

If you put Lillard or Lavine on the Mavs they´d probably average 15PPG on three point shots alone playing off Luka. Those 25 shots Bullock, Dinwiddie, THJ, Kleber and Bertans hit at a 36.6% clip you can bump to 40%+ easily. And the roleplayers shots would be even easier playing off Luka and a 2nd offensive star. Luka becomes even more un-guardable and more rested.

Actrually think they´d have an outside shot this year, if that clown at the top just paid Brunson. Somehow Cuban won the worst signing and non-signing in the same off-season.

(01-14-2023, 11:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t buy this ball in hands and want to play with BS at all. Just an excuse for the owner and front office.

Guys want to be paid and win.

We have never seen Luka play with 2-3 truly elite offensive players. Yet Wood is having the best offensive season of his career factoring in percentages. Dinwiddie is having the best offensive season of his career factoring in percentages. They are basically scoring a little less, but on much higher efficiency than they did as #1 options on loser teams.

Brunson was getting better every year in Dallas and I´m sure he could have made another leap this season, too. The only reason Brunson is not in Dallas right now is Cuban. 

If you put Lillard or Lavine on the Mavs they´d probably average 15PPG on three point shots alone playing off Luka. Those 25 shots Bullock, Dinwiddie, THJ, Kleber and Bertans hit at a 36.6% clip you can bump to 40%+ easily. And the roleplayers shots would be even easier playing off Luka and a 2nd offensive star. Luka becomes even more un-guardable and more rested.

Actrually think they´d have an outside shot this year, if that clown at the top just paid Brunson. Somehow Cuban won the worst signing and non-signing in the same off-season.

I think you are simplifying things.  Guys generally want to get paid, they generally want to win, and they want opportunity to score (especially the offensive players).  Different guys will prioritize different things.  I think a lot of guys would prefer to be the offensive focal point and a lot of point guards want to be the one to run the show.  For some winning is more important, but with the egos in the NBA I think that might be more the exception than the rule.

I'm not sure there was an avenue for keeping Brunson.  I think our best shot was to have done his contract right to begin with, so that he was restricted the prior year.  I'm not even sure he takes the max extension if they offered it last offseason (which they should have).  I would be willing to bet if the Mavs make a final offer matching NY (we will never know because Brunson cancelled that last meeting, which I think is telling in of itself) Brunson is still walking.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ItsGoTime - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 11:45 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think you are simplifying things.  Guys generally want to get paid, they generally want to win, and they want opportunity to score (especially the offensive players).  Different guys will prioritize different things.  I think a lot of guys would prefer to be the offensive focal point and a lot of point guards want to be the one to run the show.  For some winning is more important, but with the egos in the NBA I think that might be more the exception than the rule.

I'm not sure there was an avenue for keeping Brunson.  I think our best shot was to have done his contract right to begin with, so that he was restricted the prior year.  I'm not even sure he takes the max extension if they offered it last offseason (which they should have).  I would be willing to bet if the Mavs make a final offer matching NY (we will never know because Brunson cancelled that last meeting, which I think is telling in of itself) Brunson is still walking.
I’ll take that a step further. 

If the Mavs offered the max to him, either the Knicks get him more than they paid him, or he sticks with the team he’s wanted to play for his whole life. Tampering allowed NYK to give him the exact number he wanted before FA started, he had no thought whatsoever at that point to return.

I even wonder if those first contract negotiations were insisting (on his side) the contract be the way it was so he could go home at the first opportunity. It may have been a never meant to be thing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ThisIStheYear - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 11:07 AM)mvossman Wrote: There is no question they screwed the pooch from an asset standpoint with Brunson, and we really miss him when Luka is not on the court.  But a lot of the complaints folks make about Dinwiddie could apply to Brunson as well.  He could be a bit of a ball stopper on offense and his defense is even worse than Dinwiddie's this season.  He has the worst D rating on the Nicks.  He also would not be putting up these kinds of numbers with Dallas because he would spend too much time on the court with Luka.  

I know we have some apologists here who take a position that this or that player has a wart and isn’t perfect for Luka so it’s not that big a deal he left. But Luka is probably at least the third greatest talent I’ve ever seen going back to the Showtime Lakers and he has true GOAT potential. His arrival to the NBA reminds me of when Federer came onto the scene in tennis and started dominating the Americans. He’s just a revolutionary player.  You don’t need a perfect team around him just a good one. He’ll cover up many warts.  Just get him some good players even if they don’t fit.  Luka can do just about anything at an all star level except defend and he’s even decent at that now. He can cover up a roster gap or two or an imperfect fit. He just can’t cover every gap at once. There’s no excuse for losing a borderline all star for nothing when you’re building around a generational talent.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - sterlingmallory - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 11:45 AM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure there was an avenue for keeping Brunson.  I think our best shot was to have done his contract right to begin with, so that he was restricted the prior year.  I'm not even sure he takes the max extension if they offered it last offseason (which they should have).  I would be willing to bet if the Mavs make a final offer matching NY (we will never know because Brunson cancelled that last meeting, which I think is telling in of itself) Brunson is still walking.

The Mavs FO had every chance in the world to keep Brunson. I don't understand why people want to keep rationalizing and letting them off the hook.
  • They get his initial contract right, he'd still be a Mav
  • They offer him the extension before he clearly starts to take off, he'd still be a Mav
  • They offer him more than 5/110 in free agency and I think there's a great chance he'd still be a Mav
They probably cancelled the last meeting in NY because he and his agent already knew where the Mavs stood on their contract offer. It's not like they had never talked before. Do people honestly believe that meeting in NY was the only chance the Mavs had to make an offer? That's ridiculous. They couldn't call or text his agent? Lol. There's no point in meeting again when they wouldn't even come close to the AAV that the Knicks were offering.  

Blah blah blah his dad works for the Knicks, he only wanted to play for the Knicks, those are all just bullshit excuses designed to let the idiots running this team off the hook. Money talks. They made it pretty damn easy to choose the Knicks when they lowballed him. Cuban the dolt bragged about not being worried because the Mavs could offer the most money and then proceeded to not offer the most money when it actually came down to it. 

Yeah, lets see how badly Brunson actually wants to be a Knick if we offered like 5/130 or something like that. Considering Tyler Herro got 4/130 and Jordan Poole got 4/120, 5/130 for Brunson or maybe even a little bit more isn't so bad. Don't tell me he wouldn't be worth that because he's averaging 22ppg and is probably going to be an all star this year, and anyone with eyes should have been able to see that coming. I sure as hell could see it, especially that Utah series that Luka missed most of. The cap is about to spike and he'd be like 30 at the end of a theoretical 5 year deal. It wouldn't have been that bad, certainly not as bad as just letting him go for nothing despite being capped out.

No, Mark Cuban is a moron and bears full responsibility for Brunson leaving, just like he does for Nash leaving and for Tyson leaving. That kind of history and people still want to say it's not the FO's fault that Brunson left? Please.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 22nd D | 13th Net | 4th in West | - ItsGoTime - 01-14-2023

(01-14-2023, 07:40 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: [*]They get his initial contract right, he'd still be a Mav   
[*]He wasn't going to sign a contract that gave the Mavs control at the end of it.

[*]They offer him the extension before he clearly starts to take off, he'd still be a Mav
[*]New York State of Mind is not only a great song, it's been Brunson's sole goal to return.

[*]They offer him more than 5/110 in free agency and I think there's a great chance he'd still be a Mav
[*]He got the contract offer he wanted from NYK (they could have offered more) before FA started and had little to no more contact with Dallas.
[*]The FO surely screwed up in that they didn't show JB they valued him enough to woo him to stay. He got his shot to start after injury to teammates. He earned his own right to stay there, but that is on him, not the coaching staff or the FO. 

There are so many millions of theories of what happened, anyone's guess is no better than the next. Like I said before, spilled milk. Clean it up and move on, IMO.