MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - DanSchwartzgan - 12-30-2022

(12-29-2022, 05:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Mavs News: The new year is coming. No need to put too much stock in stuff that happens before Christmas   Big Grin

Here are the O/D ratings for the five game win-streak that has us tied for 5th in the West half a game out of 4th:

Minn.   113.3     107.9.  (Wood 107)

Hou.    119.0.    112.6. (Wood 110)

LAL.     133.3.    123.6.  (Wood 111)

NY.      121.4.     116.6.  (Wood 114)

Hou.    127.3.    112.5.  (Wood. 104)

AVG:    122.8.    114.6. (Wood. 109)

I’m not saying this is all on Wood.  Team focus has generally been very good and all sorts of people are making surprising contributions (especially Luka and THJ).  But, I think it is significant that Wood is outperforming the Team in every single game.  For the season Dallas is 115.3 (8th) / 113.0 (10th).  I think we all expected that the O-Rating would go up with Luka, SD, THJ and Wood all starting.  The unexpected part is that the D-Rating has only dropped a single point while missing Maxi, DFS and Green for all of these games.

The competition hasn’t been the greatest and the 123 PP 100 that LA hung on us is worrisome.  But, the brand of basketball has been more fun to watch.  I get that people are constantly trying to find a lineup where THJ or SD come off the bench.  I personally don’t see it.  THJ has been so much better as a starter (TS% and 3% are both a FULL 100 basis points higher as a starter).  And I can’t imagine how you justify sitting Dinwiddie.  He has been fantastic.  The question for me is who joins that group when everyone is healthy again.  If you want to go all in on 5-out and ball movement and an offense where everyone on the floor can attack you and you can’t leave anyone, I’d look at those four plus Josh.  I know that is sacrilegious to even discuss benching DFS, but last night was so much fun to watch.  At the very least, you make the 5th spot situational where any of Josh, DFS, Maxi or Powell starts depending on the other team’s best player.  The other thing that I brought up that I really like is someone like Vanderbilt who is hitting 3’s at a high rate, plays great D with more size than Dorian and has a little more ball-handling ability.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - KillerLeft - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here are the O/D ratings for the five game win-streak that has us tied for 5th in the West half a game out of 4th:

I’m not saying this is all on Wood.  Team focus has generally been very good and all sorts of people are making surprising contributions (especially Luka and THJ).  But, I think it is significant that Wood is outperforming the Team in every single game.  For the season Dallas is 115.3 (8th) / 113.0 (10th).  I think we all expected that the O-Rating would go up with Luka, SD, THJ and Wood all starting.  The unexpected part is that the D-Rating has only dropped a single point while missing Maxi, DFS and Green for all of these games.

The competition hasn’t been the greatest and the 123 PP 100 that LA hung on us is worrisome.  But, the brand of basketball has been more fun to watch.  I get that people are constantly trying to find a lineup where THJ or SD come off the bench.  I personally don’t see it.  THJ has been so much better as a starter (TS% and 3% are both a FULL 100 basis points higher as a starter).  And I can’t imagine how you justify sitting Dinwiddie.  He has been fantastic.  The question for me is who joins that group when everyone is healthy again.  If you want to go all in on 5-out and ball movement and an offense where everyone on the floor can attack you and you can’t leave anyone, I’d look at those four plus Josh.  I know that is sacrilegious to even discuss benching DFS, but last night was so much fun to watch.  At the very least, you make the 5th spot situational where any of Josh, DFS, Maxi or Powell starts depending on the other team’s best player.  The other thing that I brought up that I really like is someone like Vanderbilt who is hitting 3’s at a high rate, plays great D with more size than Dorian and has a little more ball-handling ability.

Good stuff here. 

I'm not saying starting Green would be a bad thing, but I'm also not sure "where everyone can attack" is as important as "and you can't leave anyone." 

I'm ALSO not sure shifting Dinwiddie's heavy minutes to a bench role, but without reducing them, is a negative at all. I don't know that I expect this to happen, but I think I'd still be in favor of a 20 game stretch where Green AND DFS join the starters and Dinwiddie goes to the bench. 

But, I suppose the most likely thing, if we're predicting, is that DFS will get his job back and Green will continue to come off the bench.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - DanSchwartzgan - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:11 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, I suppose the most likely thing, if we're predicting, is that DFS will get his job back and Green will continue to come off the bench.

Agree with this.  Only real chance it happens is if Green comes back from injury first and takes the spot Frank had last night.  If that happened AND we/he played well against better competition, things might get interesting when Dorian returned.  I still think Green would return to the bench, but it would give the team a look at a potential lineup for certain situations/opponents.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - KillerLeft - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Agree with this.  Only real chance it happens is if Green comes back from injury first and takes the spot Frank had last night.  If that happened AND we/he played well against better competition, things might get interesting when Dorian returned.  I still think Green would return to the bench, but it would give the team a look at a potential lineup for certain situations/opponents.

I think that last night's lineup (only with Green in place of Ntilikina) is a great way to go against certain teams, specifically those without difference makers at the 4. 

You want to hide Luka on a non-offensive player, and in the ideal scenario that guy is a 6'8", 230-250 lb 4, like him, and he can contribute defensively by boxing out, rebounding, etc. 

But the second you play someone like Jerami Grant, Lebron, Kawhi Leonard and many, many others, I think you'll really need DFS out there, personally.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-30-2022

(12-28-2022, 07:24 PM)mvossman Wrote: We got killed on the boards (they had 10 more offensive rebounds) and shot below 30% from 3.  Teams lose games when that happens.

Our starting "center" had zero rebounds and 2 points in over 30 minutes.  

Timmy has been hot and cold (as usual) since his big run after getting put in the starting lineup.  I'm worried if he goes back to the second unit he will go back to being useless.  

Bullock has already been demoted, but he is the biggest issue right now.  The problem is with Dorian, Green and Maxi out we don't have a ton of options otherwise.

^^This.  Pat Riley use to say, no rebounds, no rings.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - mvossman - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here are the O/D ratings for the five game win-streak that has us tied for 5th in the West half a game out of 4th:

Dinwiddie has been playing really well offensively, but he has been poor defensively, significantly worse than Timmy.  He fits the mold of a 6th man perfectly and was great in that position last season.  He can still get 30 minutes a game in that role.

I don't think there is any way they take Dorian from the starting lineup, and replacing him with Green means you are playing Luka at power forward.

I don't think you can go long term with a starting lineup that does not have a point of attack defender.  I know the defensive numbers have been good recently, but I think a lot of that was due to the competition.  Eventually they are going to need to put Bullock or Green in the starting lineup, and for reasons of fit I think it makes the most sense to make Din the 6th man in order to make room.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - ItsGoTime - 12-30-2022

Josh Green is a scrappy rebounder too.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - KillerLeft - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 12:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Josh Green is a scrappy rebounder too.

Oh, sure, but he's wasted if not used in a way where his speed and quickness are harnessed, imo. He's not the guy I'd want guarding a forward, for sure, even if he could do it a little.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - mvossman - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 12:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh, sure, but he's wasted if not used in a way where his speed and quickness are harnessed, imo. He's not the guy I'd want guarding a forward, for sure, even if he could do it a little.

He is a perfect point of attack defender.  We have three with Green, Bullock and Frank, but right now (before the injury) Green is the only one playing well enough to be in the starting lineup.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - ItsGoTime - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 12:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh, sure, but he's wasted if not used in a way where his speed and quickness are harnessed, imo. He's not the guy I'd want guarding a forward, for sure, even if he could do it a little.
I agree, other than the strong wording of “wasted”, but get the point in general. I was mainly adding to the rebound discussion and Green is that little worker bee in the middle of the trees that has the athleticism to disrupt rebounds if he doesn’t get it all together. He does that from a spot not normally relied on for that production. We need that cause we have so many bigs that aren’t very good at that aspect of the game (including the aforementioned DFS playing at the 4 spot).

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - SleepingHero - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:32 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: ^^This.  Pat Riley use to say, no rebounds, no rings.

Not sure how relevant this is in todays NBA. 

Of the last 10 champions, only 1 of them has ranked top 5 in RPG in the regular season and that is MIL in 2021. 

But six of the last ten champions did fall between 6-10. So while I don't think elite rebounding correlates to winning it all, good teams do rebound well.

The 4 champions that didn't crack the top 10:

2012-2013 Heat (30th)
2013-2014 Spurs (12th)
2017-2018 Warriors (17th)
2018-2019 Raptors (17th)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - Kammrath - 12-30-2022

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1608868417557393408

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - Jym - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 01:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1608868417557393408

Such a weird team 
I was looking through the schedule and none of the matchups outright scared me. Could see us winning any of the games. Or we could go on a 5 game losing streak on the softest part of the schedule

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | 5 gm win streak - KillerLeft - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 01:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1608868417557393408

To me, the relevant thing for the Mavs this season is home vs. away. I can't remember another version of the Mavs (who were supposed to be decent) who had quite this much trouble winning on the road. The first iteration of this current team who figured out how to win (maybe the year before the pandemic?) was actually much better on the road. I remember them getting asked about it all the time and saying the extra bonding time was a boon...team dinners and such. 

That leads me to believe that maybe more time together has been a negative this season, maybe? 

Either way, I've gotten to the point where it's not the quality of the opponent that worries me so much as the game circumstances. This game tomorrow night, for example: The Spurs are terrible, but they're coming off of a big win against NY and it's a road game. For this turnaround to keep going, beating bad teams on the road has to start happening. SO, this is kind of a big one tomorrow, I think.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 5th in West | 5 gm win streak - fifteenth - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: sacrilegious to even discuss benching DFS,

don't you forget that!!!

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 6th in West | Dorsey waived/Lawson signed - cow - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 11:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  I know that is sacrilegious to even discuss benching DFS, but

But?

[Image: fresh-prince-dj-jazzy-jeff.gif]

Statheads need to be weary of sample sizes.  Should we go back in time when people were trying to prop WCS up using advanced stats one half of play at a time?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 5th in West | 5 gm win streak - StepBackJay - 12-30-2022

I am definitely down with benching DFS unless/until he starts playing better.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 5th in West | 5 gm win streak - KillerLeft - 12-30-2022

(12-30-2022, 05:00 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am definitely down with benching DFS unless/until he starts playing better.

Impossible. He's already the greatest Maverick of all time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 5th in West | 5 gm win streak - Kammrath - 12-31-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1609225969247698952

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 15th D | 11th Net | 5th in West | 5 gm win streak - KillerLeft - 12-31-2022

(12-31-2022, 11:34 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1609225969247698952

*cough*onebig*cough*