MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - dirkfansince1998 - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 05:49 AM)Mapka Wrote: Green is injured and Hardy is clearly not ready.
Not sure what your expectation is.

Look at any Champion the last 20 years.
It's always a Veteran team hitting big on a low draft pick, a one season tank with a injured superstar or a hit on a go-all-in-trade.

You are missing the part that comes before the big trade or draft pick. Where teams build and develop a young core. To go back to the Warriors example. Did they trade for Curry, Green or Thompson? Nope. Developed a young core and slowly improved. That´s the part the Mavs have been trying to short cut. If they had done that in the past we wouldn´t be having this disucssion right now and the Mavs wouldn´t be low on assets.

It doesn´t matter if Hardy is ready or not. That´s the whole point of tanking. Get him reps and see if he can improve. Same for Green and to a lesser degree Frank. The one year tank scenario is exactly what the Mavs need to make up for missing assets and lack of overall talent. It´s not like the guys the Mavs could potentially sell are good enough to compete anyway. Use DFSs, Green´s and Kleber´s injury as an opportunity to retool. Give them extended breaks. That alone should be enough to tank the record.
Even if you are all in on a big trade an additional pick next summer is exactly what the Mavs need. It should be a no brainer win-win for both team draft and team trade.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - Mapka - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 06:03 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: You are missing the part that comes before the big trade or draft pick. Where teams build and develop a young core. To go back to the Warriors example. Did they trade for Curry, Green or Thompson? Nope. Developed a young core and slowly improved. That´s the part the Mavs have been trying to short cut. If they had done that in the past we wouldn´t be having this disucssion right now and the Mavs wouldn´t be low on assets.

It doesn´t matter if Hardy is ready or not. That´s the whole point of tanking. Get him reps and see if he can improve. Same for Green and to a lesser degree Frank. The one year tank scenario is exactly what the Mavs need to make up for missing assets and lack of overall talent. It´s not like the guys the Mavs could potentially sell are good enough to compete anyway. Use DFSs, Green´s and Kleber´s injury as an opportunity to retool. Give them extended breaks. That alone should be enough to tank the record.
Even if you are all in on a big trade an additional pick next summer is exactly what the Mavs need. It should be a no brainer win-win for both team draft and team trade.

We were growing a core of DFS & Maxi and then Luka & Brunson.
How much more growing do you need?

By the way, you just hit the point.
We are far beyond the "growing" phase of an rebuild.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - dirkfansince1998 - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 06:41 AM)Mapka Wrote: We were growing a core of DFS & Maxi and then Luka & Brunson.
How much more growing do you need?

By the way, you just hit the point.
We are far beyond the "growing" phase of an rebuild.

Disagreed. Mavs need to retool because they skipped the growing part. DFS and Maxi will turn 30 and 31 within the next few month. Proper growing of a core would have included a real tank in Luka´s first season instead of adding more vets and trying to compete for 2/3 of the season only to realize that it isn´t working.
We have had a similar conversation a couple of times in the last few weeks. For the Mavs there is always an excuse not to sell. Or can you give me one season where they actually tried to add future assets instead of making some perceived win now moves.

The injuries could be a blessing in disguise and offer a chance to do a 90s San Antonio light move. Opportunity to add another core piece or an asset that could turn into a core piece. It´s not going to be Tim Duncan level player but even if you don´t want to wait and develop a draft pick. A top 10 pick this year combined with matching salary gets you into the conversation for a lot of the names we discussed in trade talks (OG, Myles Turner...).
And on top of that you still have all future picks for another move if you want to go for it. Plus whatever you can get if you sell some of the vets. With the added bonus of potential development of younger players.

Mavs don´t have to repeat the same mistakes all over again just because they have never operated in a different way. It doesn´t have to be plan powder or a big trade. There are other ways to build a roster..

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - Kammrath - 12-20-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1605067374826180609

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - Kammrath - 12-20-2022

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1605063791863013377

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-20-2022

https://youtu.be/65Y_Bfa_xVw

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - Nowitzki Way - 12-20-2022

I don't think Cuban/Nico have it in them to tank. Nor do i trust them to run a tank operation. I'd love to sell off what little assets we have and stock up on draft picks and young prospects. But this team has never executed a tank job, in fact Nico has never operated anything in the NBA. 

But you simply CAN'T tank with a healthy Luka. It think it would start the clock on his departure as a Mav.

You hate saying it, but your only hope for a tank is a Luka injury that keeps him out for 20+ games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - F Gump - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 09:56 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: But you simply CAN'T tank with a healthy Luka. It think it would start the clock on his departure as a Mav.

Sure you can. As good as he is, the mere presence of Luka alone doesn't guarantee enough wins to make a difference.

To be clear, there's no such thing as a tank job that has the cooperation of players. They (including Luka) will all play to win when they are in the game.

But the idea that Luka can "one-man-team" the Mavs to excellence is just wrong, and in fact the more Luka tries to do that, the worse their prospects become. With some judicious "load management" choices and a trade or some key injuries here or there, any team will take a nose dive, and it's not out of the question that the Mavs may already be playing that game.

As to the question of whether they can do it in a way that is advantageous, that's a much different matter --- I am no fan of Cuban's GM-ing skills, so I'm certainly not one to argue over whether they can tank right. But shoddy GM-ing can just as easily mess up a different path (using trades and free agent signings instead). So I'm much in favor of the most advantageous route, no matter who is driving the bus.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - Nowitzki Way - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 10:36 AM)F Gump Wrote: Sure you can. As good as he is, the mere presence of Luka alone doesn't guarantee enough wins to make a difference.

To be clear, there's no such thing as a tank job that has the cooperation of players. They (including Luka) will all play to win when they are in the game.

But the idea that Luka can "one-man-team" the Mavs to excellence is just wrong, and in fact the more Luka tries to do that, the worse their prospects become. With some judicious "load management" choices and a trade or some key injuries here or there, any team will take a nose dive, and it's not out of the question that the Mavs may already be playing that game.

As to the question of whether they can do it in a way that is advantageous, that's a much different matter --- I am no fan of Cuban's GM-ing skills, so I'm certainly not one to argue over whether they can tank right. But shoddy GM-ing can just as easily mess up a different path (using trades and free agent signings instead). So I'm much in favor of the most advantageous route, no matter who is driving the bus.

I agree that Luka cannot "one man" will us to victories or even a championship.  I'm saying that if we wanted to really tank, it would start with selling pieces. I think it would have such a negative impact on his commitment to us, that i'm not sure we can recover. I could be wrong. Luka does see what we see. He sees that McGee is trash. He sees that Dinwiddie and Hardaway play hero ball. He sees Bullock air ball  3's while wide open. He sees that Wood plays no defense. Maybe you can go to him and get him on board, but i think he's too much of a competitor to do it.

What happens in February if we're still struggling, but sitting at the 10th seed. Luka still playing his butt off each night, and we trade Dinwiddie. We Trade Wood. We trade THJ. We bring back draft picks and few 20 year olds. I dont see it going over well with Luka. I fear it could start that clock in his head on when to ask for a trade. Which he might should do anyway seeing the outlook of this team for the next few years. 

But the biggest point is our Fake GM Nico and our real GM Cuban. They wont do it.  But i'm with you 100%. It NEEDS to happen, it just wont. And that is frustrating.

(12-20-2022, 10:36 AM)F Gump Wrote: As to the question of whether they can do it in a way that is advantageous, that's a much different matter -

The chance to add an guaranteed top 10 pick would be beneficial in all scenarios. And with the new lottery system it doesn´t take one of the 5-6 worst records in the league to get there.
Doesn´t mean that I trust them to use the pick in a way that benefits the franchise in the longrun but if we have reached the point where where we aren´t willing to jump off the treadmill because we fear that things could end up even worse we might as well give up on the franchise.

The funny part about this team tanking is that they're already doing it and don't realize it. The minute we went into this season with this roster, started an organic tank.

McGee as a starter? Chalk one up for team tank.

No Brunson replacement? We'll go with Facu Campazzo and move Dinwiddie to the starting role. Check.

Lets not start our new 20 point 10 rebound big man. Lets also let the coach throw shots at him in the media and mess with his head too. Good one.

Lets keep playing Powell, THJ, and Bullock? Yep they all work for team tank. 

So while i've argued that tanking would never happen in Mavs land. Not while Luka is healthy and walking. Looks like the tank job was on from the start.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - F Gump - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 10:58 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: The funny part about this team tanking is that they're already doing it and don't realize it. The minute we went into this season with this roster, started an organic tank.

McGee as a starter? Chalk one up for team tank.

No Brunson replacement? We'll go with Facu Campazzo and move Dinwiddie to the starting role. Check.

Lets not start our new 20 point 10 rebound big man. Lets also let the coach throw shots at him in the media and mess with his head too. Good one.

Lets keep playing Powell, THJ, and Bullock? Yep they all work for team tank. 

So while i've argued that tanking would never happen in Mavs land. Not while Luka is healthy and walking. Looks like the tank job was on from the start.

While I don't quite buy into the way you have characterized the specifics, what you are saying is exactly my point. I doubt the Mavs planned for the season to go awry, and I don't think they have made player moves in any sort of deliberate self-sabotage manner.

But "tanking" can just be your fallback if things go off the rails, and it doesn't require everything be done in an all-in manner ... nor does it involve a sit-down with Luka necessarily, at least not until you are going to make deliberate moves that play for next season rather than today.

There's still a lot of development and progress that can be made during a tank, such as extra minutes being allotted for Green, Hardy, maybe Wright and Dorsey, maybe even Ntilikina. You can also experiment with Wood at C, at PF, and in various combos to see if you have anything of real value or not.

About Wood - I know some look at his scoring and think he's a star save for Mavs messing it up, which I find laughable. I am 100% convinced he has NOT been held back, but is rather wildly inconsistent and who's hard to rely on because of the huge flaws in his game, especially a lack of focus on defense. Yes he has some outstanding outings, but those get interspersed with plenty of junk too that gets willfully ignored by the conspiracy theorist among us. I am not anti-Wood -- I certainly hope they can find a way to make him dependable. That's exactly what I think is going on with the variations in his rotations and minutes and more (rather than the absurd idea that the Mavs hope to sabotage him). I also observe that Wood doesn't bristle at all over the situation, but instead is 100% positive. IMO he needs tough love and is getting it. Where his game ends up remains to be seen.

They definitely didnt make deliberate moves with tanking in mind. They are just so inept at roster building that it turned out that way. Cuban/Nico actually believed this was a championship roster. Which makes all of this even more scary to think about.

On C. Wood. You described it best. Wildly inconsistent. Some days he looks like an all-star and another night he looks completely lost. I'm not so sure that inconsistency will fly on a championship caliber team.  Well not one like the Mavs where he has to be the star player during stretches. 

Imagine him on the Celtics, Bucks, Suns, or Warriors. When i think of C. Wood i try to think what he would look like as a role player on championship team. Sometimes i see 6th man of the year. Sometimes i see failed experiment.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - DanSchwartzgan - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 11:42 AM)F Gump Wrote: But "tanking" can just be your fallback if things go off the rails, and it doesn't require everything be done in an all-in manner ... nor does it involve a sit-down with Luka necessarily.

I am not anti-Wood -- I certainly hope they can find a way to make him dependable. That's exactly what I think is going on with the variations in his rotations and minutes and more (rather than the absurd idea that the Mavs hope to sabotage him).

I agree with your comments about being able to tank with Luka.  He’s more than capable of turnstile defense while at the same time scoring 30 a game.

Watching Wood’s performances since Maxi went down, I’ve noticed some level of success against the more paint oriented bigs we played in games where he had success.  Last night Minnesota dragged him out to the perimeter a little and he looked terrible.  I don’t think it likely he’s a starting center on a team with high aspirations. My question is whether he can be what Bobby Portis is to Milwaukee.  There is value to having someone like that.  Of course, some fans are going to pine for more unless you have a starter who clearly puts Wood in the Portis role.  Right now, we don’t have that either.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - cow - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 07:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1605063791863013377

Sorry, I don't see a middle ground with our lack of assets.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - Chicagojk - 12-20-2022

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1605253175392735232

I would assume this would put him out on the longer range of timelines?

(12-20-2022, 12:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would assume this would put him out on the longer range of timelines?

I would guess 3 months at a MINIMUM.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - KillerLeft - 12-20-2022

https://twitter.com/InStreetClothes/status/1605279213745061888?s=20&t=mbFcRdkirS3epYZF6uXrOQ

This is going to be 3 to 4 months at least. I'd say he's done for the regular season.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 11th Net | 9th in West | DFS out w/abductor strain - ItsGoTime - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 02:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/InStreetClothes/status/1605279213745061888?s=20&t=mbFcRdkirS3epYZF6uXrOQ
So 4.5 months, at least his back will be well rested.