MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - cow - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 01:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Memphis can lose Ja for weeks and it is like "Ok, we got this".

Mavs lose a backup big and the whole season is in jeopardy.   

Some comedy in my statements above, but there is some truth there too.

Counter:  The season was in jeopardy prior to Maxi's injury.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - SleepingHero - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 01:17 PM)cow Wrote: Lakers would say no, I think.  The salaries don't work but if you flipped Bertans for Bullock, that would probably be more interesting to them.

I think the Lakers would be motivated to fill out their roster with shooters, as they've been trying to do that for nearly a year now using Westbrook. 

Any premium top tier role players the Lakers can't get with their assets. So something has to give. Mavs are giving them an out. 

But I don't think Cuban entertains this, and what message does it say to Luka that we're selling off pieces and getting back a loser in Westbrook?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - Tyler - 12-15-2022

The Maxi injury is a major bummer. He's a lot more important than many fans realize.

I imagine Wood will immediately lose the training wheels, which isn't such a bad thing. And I'm also guessing Nico might be checking in on both Turner and Collins today.

In related news, McGee can be traded as of today.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - cow - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 02:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the Lakers would be motivated to fill out their roster with shooters, as they've been trying to do that for nearly a year now using Westbrook. 

Any premium top tier role players the Lakers can't get with their assets. So something has to give. Mavs are giving them an out. 

But I don't think Cuban entertains this, and what message does it say to Luka that we're selling off pieces and getting back a loser in Westbrook?

THJ is a negative on long term money.  Maybe if you squint, he has neutral value.  Bertans is long term money and is one of the worst contracts in the league.  I just don't think you can dump to negative contracts of that size.   One but no the other makes sense and THJ seems to be the best Buddy Love analog.  I wouldn't hesitate to send both THJ/Bertans out which makes me think the deal has no chance of happening.

Maybe you give the Lakers a package that makes them a contender but you don't allow for protections on the pick coming back.  

Agreed on Cuban but the message should be "we are building towards a future and we turned bad/expiring contracts into a highly desirable asset".

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - SleepingHero - 12-15-2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vHaURM4sg

How i feel right now.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - Chicagojk - 12-15-2022

https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/1603484736315351049?s=46&t=-PisaNuGncviZ0N58t4RfQ

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - BigDirk41 - 12-15-2022

That's sad. I hope he finds happiness in life.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - cow - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 03:24 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/calliecaplan/status/1603484736315351049?s=46&t=-PisaNuGncviZ0N58t4RfQ

Good luck to him and I hope he finds inner peace.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - mvossman - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 02:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the Lakers would be motivated to fill out their roster with shooters, as they've been trying to do that for nearly a year now using Westbrook. 

I don't think we have any asset they Laker's would be willing to give up a first (even protected) for.  They might do Timmy+Wood+Bullock for Westbrook straight up, but what is the point of that for us?  I don't think its worth dumping Wood and Bullock just to get off Timmy.  It makes no sense to spend assets to get off salary.  There is too much salary to get off that nobody wants.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - cow - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 03:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think we have any asset they Laker's would be willing to give up a first (even protected) for.  They might do Timmy+Wood+Bullock for Westbrook straight up, but what is the point of that for us?  I don't think its worth dumping Wood and Bullock just to get off Timmy.  It makes no sense to spend assets to get off salary.  There is too much salary to get off that nobody wants.

Now insert Dorian in the equation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - mvossman - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 03:44 PM)cow Wrote: Now insert Dorian in the equation.

He would be the only chance.  Is it worth sending out Timmy, Dorian, Wood for a protected first?  I would argue no.  We still would not have generated appreciable cap space and a healthy Luka means we are going to win some games.  I think such a move would have a high probability of significantly damaging the relationship with Luka, and don't think its worth that for a protected first and a late lottery pick.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - DanSchwartzgan - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 03:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think we have any asset they Laker's would be willing to give up a first (even protected) for.  They might do Timmy+Wood+Bullock for Westbrook straight up, but what is the point of that for us?  I don't think its worth dumping Wood and Bullock just to get off Timmy.  It makes no sense to spend assets to get off salary.  There is too much salary to get off that nobody wants.

Two things to bear in mind regarding any Laker’s move.  1. Lebron’ s 1+1 contract status and 2. How the future salary they take on impacts their cap space/MLE situation this summer as it relates to Lonnie Walker’s EB status.  

I wonder if LAL would prefer Bullock or Beverley…straight up.  Some optionality there with Bullock’s partial guarantee.  You get a good on-ball defender who can hit a three vs. a great on-ball defender who can’t.  Which is more needed?  Why for Dallas?  Takes money off of 23/24 OR can be added expiring money if the deal is expanded where Powell/Beverley or Wood/Beverley end up with another team that wants cap space rather than Bullock’s $5mm guarantee.

(12-15-2022, 03:51 PM)mvossman Wrote: He would be the only chance.  Is it worth sending out Timmy, Dorian, Wood for a protected first?  I would argue no.  We still would not have generated appreciable cap space and a healthy Luka means we are going to win some games.  I think such a move would have a high probability of significantly damaging the relationship with Luka, and don't think its worth that for a protected first and a late lottery pick.

Depends on the protections.  I'd want light to no protections to help them get to contention.  I'd take heavier protections if you could ditch Bertans in the process.

(12-15-2022, 03:52 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Two things to bear in mind regarding any Laker’s move.  1. Lebron’ s 1+1 contract status and 2. How the future salary they take on impacts their cap space/MLE situation this summer as it relates to Lonnie Walker’s EB status.  

I wonder if LAL would prefer Bullock or Beverley…straight up.  Some optionality there with Bullock’s partial guarantee.  You get a good on-ball defender who can hit a three vs. a great on-ball defender who can’t.  Which is more needed?  Why for Dallas?  Takes money off of 23/24 OR can be added expiring money if the deal is expanded where Powell/Beverley or Wood/Beverley end up with another team that wants cap space rather than Bullock’s $5mm guarantee.

I'm a little lost.  What are we trying to gain here?  What would a full deal look like that you are proposing?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - omahen - 12-15-2022

How Tim Hardaway Jr. Explains the Mavericks - D Magazine

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out long time - DanSchwartzgan - 12-15-2022

(12-15-2022, 03:58 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm a little lost.  What are we trying to gain here?  What would a full deal look like that you are proposing?

Two versions:

1. simply moves $5mm guarantee for Bullock off the books

2. Allows you to work with a third team that wants a pure expiring deal rather than Bullock.  Beverley also reaches further than Bullock in terms of salary matching whether alone or in combination with Powell or Wood.

(12-15-2022, 03:56 PM)cow Wrote: Depends on the protections.  I'd want light to no protections to help them get to contention.  I'd take heavier protections if you could ditch Bertans in the process.

I would guess that from Lakers perspective that Bertans contract is more negative than Dorian is positive.  I don't think they give up the pick in that scenario.  I don't think they want to take on future salary unless its for a positive asset (like Bojan).  Unlike Dallas, they can actually attract free agents.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th O | 20th D | 11th Net | 8th in West | Maxi out at least 6-8wks - omahen - 12-15-2022

Mavs starting to make tankathon lists. If Luka gets injured for a prolongued period of time.

Hollinger: NBA parity is all around us. Which teams should shift their focus toward the draft? - The Athletic

(12-15-2022, 04:04 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would guess that from Lakers perspective that Bertans contract is more negative than Dorian is positive.  I don't think they give up the pick in that scenario.  I don't think they want to take on future salary unless its for a positive asset (like Bojan).  Unlike Dallas, they can actually attract free agents.

I don't disagree but in the scenario, I'd use Dorian and a separate deal.

(12-15-2022, 04:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Two versions:

2. Allows you to work with a third team that wants a pure expiring deal rather than Bullock.  Beverley also reaches further than Bullock in terms of salary matching whether alone or in combination with Powell or Wood.

I'm don't think you want the scenario with PatBev in a Mavs uniform or in the locker room.

(12-15-2022, 04:03 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Two versions:

I'm not sure what the value would be of dumping Bullock just to save 5 mil?  I would argue he is probably roughly neutral value and probably worth more than 5 mil, so I would prefer to keep him if that is the option.  

As for option 2, I would be fine with that if we truly had the option lined up.  I have seen this FO set themselves up for stuff that they never follow through on too many times to think this would be any different.

(12-15-2022, 04:04 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs starting to make tankathon lists. If Luka gets injured for a prolongued period of time.

Hollinger: NBA parity is all around us. Which teams should shift their focus toward the draft? - The Athletic

I have been vocally anti-tank, but if Luka gets injured for more than a week or two, I will be all on board the tank brigade.