MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-03-2022

(12-02-2022, 11:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: LAL is 7-2 in their last 9 and about to catch the Mavs....

Yes. Since they started playing through AD, they're playing better,  and Russ is getting use to his role off the bench and playing well. AD has been playing lights out,  like he's still in N.O.  Big road win vs the Bucks last night.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 12-03-2022

IF OKC catches up with the Mavs, you know it's time.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Kammrath - 12-03-2022

[Image: FjDmyD1WAAAbdCF?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - ThisIStheYear - 12-03-2022

(12-02-2022, 07:25 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I'm still in wait and see mode on this tbh. 

Kidd is clearly tinkering with lineups and still working stuff out. He's also a recent superstar player himself, who knows it's a long season and might not really care all that much about a loss to an undermanned team in November. This team's success, or failure will be judged on the playoffs.

Of course, they have to make it to the playoffs first and you'll count me among those  carrying pitchforks if they don't. But I'm confident they will. There is no superteam in the West as far as I can tell and does it really matter if the Mavs first round opponent is Phoenix, the Clippers, the Nuggets or the Warriors? Those are all top veteran teams who will be hard to beat, regardless. 

And don't look now but there are some young upstart teams - Pelicans, Grizz, Kings! - who are actually above some of those teams. I don't fear young teams at all. Dallas has Memphis' number and no other teams are playoff tested. The Wolves look easily beatable (does anyone buy the KAT Gobert pairing?).  The Blazers are a dark horse to surprise some people but honestly the West is a crapshoot. Kidd knows this.

So why would he go to the whip in November? Or even December? 

Clearly the Mavs still have to sort some things out, and they may yet make a trade but if the playoffs started tomorrow with Dallas as a 7 or 8 seed versus Phoenix or Denver? I say lace 'em up and let's go.  Dallas still employs the top three players in MPG from the WCF team and 9 of the top 10 overall. 

Yes, Brunson is missing 33 min and 18 points ... but in THJ's last playoffs he averaged 37 min and 17 points on fewer shots than JB ... and you also have Wood. Dinwiddie and Luka will both play 40+ MPG and Green is better, so two playmakers issue in the playoffs is solved.

To be clear, I'm not saying this year's team is better than last season's team. Brunson was special. But this team will be very good when the games matter and a really tough out against anyone in the West. They just need to play their best players "playoff minutes" and tighten up on defense.

**EDIT: If Reggie still can't shoot by March please forget I wrote this.

I’d get my pitchfork ready, if I were you.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Chicagojk - 12-03-2022

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1599062450435133440?s=46&t=i-8mUD9J2Vyjtyxc7E6H5Q

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Kammrath - 12-03-2022

Sounds like JB is conceding that he didn't give the Mavs a chance and that ship had sailed at an earlier date.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - KillerLeft - 12-03-2022

(12-03-2022, 10:47 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Sounds like JB is conceding that he didn't give the Mavs a chance and that ship had sailed at an earlier date.

You must be talking with Jalen via FaceTime or Skype right now, because there is no chance that tweet got you to this conclusion.

(12-03-2022, 10:55 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: You must be talking with Jalen via FaceTime or Skype right now, because there is no chance that tweet got you to this conclusion.

You think he is calling Nico a liar? That was the worst job of calling Nico a liar if that is what he was doing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 12-03-2022

Just a non answer, nothing to take from it. I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen Jalen say a single thing with actual substance in interviews, they train them up good with the media at Nova.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - KillerLeft - 12-03-2022

(12-03-2022, 10:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: You think he is calling Nico a liar? That was the worst job of calling Nico a liar if that is what he was doing.

No, I think he opted to say something nice about Harrison and sidestep the question. I think that because that's what he did.

(12-03-2022, 11:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, I think he opted to say something nice about Harrison and sidestep the question. I think that because that's what he did.

But he has had MANY opportunities to say he wanted to be in Dallas and that if they would have stepped up to the plate, he would have signed. But he has refused to go there. Because Jalen is a good guy and doesn't want to lie. He is a really truthful guy.

(12-03-2022, 11:14 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But he has had MANY opportunities to say he wanted to be in Dallas and that if they would have stepped up to the plate, he would have signed. But he has refused to go there. Because Jalen is a good guy and doesn't want to lie. He is a really truthful guy.

Believe what you want, I'm just saying that tweet doesn't in any way reveal anything. His entire motive for that quote seems to have been saying nothing. 

I do think he wanted to be in NY on many levels, for the record. For me, that doesn't change the idea that the Mavs should've offered him more money than NY to stay. You know, to at least make the decision as tough as possible. No idea if it would've ultimately changed the outcome, and that's the point - we'll never know. But, there are so many people pointing to the "Van Vleet number" cap that I feel confident we'd have heard about it by now if the Mavs had offered more. 

What we "know" based on my understanding is that Brunson liked the idea of playing in NY quite a bit AND, luckily for him, they came in with his biggest monetary offer. So, more than "Brunson preferred NY" it might be more accurate to say "NY wanted Brunson more than Dallas." 

And even that makes a little sense. One team needed a (main) PG, the other did not. But DAMN, Woj said it succinctly the other day: A WCF team allowing their 2nd best player to walk for nothing just doesn't really happen.

(12-03-2022, 11:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: they came in with his biggest monetary offer

We do know the Mavs didn't want to go over a certain threshhold, BUT they wanted a final meeting with him (possibly to up that offer) and he refused to give them a chance to match or better the offer. 

BOTH things can be true:

1) Cuban is cheap and desperately did NOT want to pay more than $XX,XXX,XXX.

2) Cuban in the 11th hour realized that losing JB for nothing would be a disaster from an asset standpoint and therefore was willing to go higher, but at that point money wasn't going to change JB's mind.

(12-03-2022, 11:25 AM)Kammrath Wrote: We do know the Mavs didn't want to go over a certain threshhold, BUT they wanted a final meeting with him (possibly to up that offer) and he refused to give them a chance to match or better the offer. 

BOTH things can be true:

1) Cuban is cheap and desperately did NOT want to pay more than $XX,XXX,XXX.

2) Cuban in the 11th hour realized that losing JB for nothing would be a disaster from an asset standpoint and therefore was willing to go higher, but at that point money wasn't going to change JB's mind.

If you've been following the Mavs as long as I have, and you have, I think you understand in your heart of hearts that Cuban would've gotten those details out by now...it would be in his interest to be fairly clear if that were the case. 

If they had offered or intended to offer more than that NY offer, all the Mavs media people would know that and would be hinting at it. Instead, person after person is saying the same thing, even down to the use of Fred Van Vleet as an example. The call is coming from inside the house, my friend.

(12-03-2022, 11:25 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 2) Cuban in the 11th hour realized that losing JB for nothing would be a disaster from an asset standpoint and therefore was willing to go higher, but at that point money wasn't going to change JB's mind.

What's more, the reporting around this, at the time, was inconsistent to the point where I was never positive this "meeting" wasn't just someone's misunderstanding of the situation. The reporting of the meeting came after people had stared hinting that he had chosen NY. What you're interpreting as "Brunson decided not to have the meeting" always seemed to me at the time like Brunson's camp saying "Meeting? What are these people talking about? We didn't set up any meetings!"

But, that doesn't even matter. If Cuban truly tried to get a meeting for the purpose of increasing his offer to go North of NY's and that meeting was denied, we would 100% have been informed of this, subtly or overtly. Instead, it was barely news around here and the Mavs wanted to say as little about the situation as possible.

(12-03-2022, 11:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Cuban would've gotten those details out by now...it would be in his interest to be fairly clear if that were the case. 

He did, like three different reporters spoke of how the Mavs were never given a chance to make a final offer to JB. Stein included. There was never a "number" given, but the chance for a true, final offer was rescinded by JB.

(12-03-2022, 11:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: He did, like three different reporters spoke of how the Mavs were never given a chance to make a final offer to JB. Stein included. There was never a "number" given, but the chance for a true, final offer was rescinded by JB.

Well, I don't know what to tell you then. 

I think the information so clearly points to the opposite of what you believe it's hard to meet halfway. They would have to say "We wanted to pay him more than he got in NY" overtly to convince me at this point. They never will, because it's not what happened.

@"KillerLeft"

As soon as NYK was willing to offer the max THEY could, JB was in with them. He knew they couldn't beat a Mavs max offer, but he wanted to be in NYK and have them show it. 

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/1542623926676774913

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1542657406664155143

(12-03-2022, 11:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: @"KillerLeft"

As soon as NYK was willing to offer the max THEY could, JB was in with them. He knew they couldn't beat a Mavs max offer, but he wanted to be in NYK and have them show it. 

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/1542623926676774913

Yeah, sure. But that's not the issue. We know he liked the idea of playing for his childhood team, the Knicks. No argument. 

Show me the link that shows the Mavs were willing to go above the NY offer to get him to stay. That's all that matters. It would sure be nice to have that public so we know he turned down more to go there. It still wouldn't excuse the Mavs' handling of the whole situation, but at least we'd know they tried everything they could at the end. 

Instead, we have cryptic stuff about a supposed "meeting" and the Mavs' media people are still using that Fred Van Vleet number, months later, even in a situation where the Mavs could probably get away with embellishing the truth a bit to suit their purposes. They aren't doing that - they're being truthful and telling us their cap. They're doing in with subtlety because their real agenda is to hope we all stop talking about this colossal disaster and move on.