MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Mavs2021 - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 02:25 PM)cow Wrote: Probably true but I'm not sure that's a good thing for our GM to be saying.

LOL. This franchise is like a comedy show. It´s no surprise the rest of the league must consider us the fish at the table of every free agent or trade negotiation. McGee´s agent is probably using that contract as his #1 recruitment reference for all potential new clients. I was hoping Nico would change that. It might have gotten worse. And that´s the guy you want to make that #2 trade decision with Cuban. I´d rather have him make the #2 pick decision. There is a small chance he´d not overthink it and just take Scoot or Wembanyama. FYI I´m not convinced yet Wembanyama goes #1 because of the Porzingis/Oden history. The "Durant" seems the safer pick, while Wembanyama is the higher upside league-altering pick.

On the other hand means he plays less, but can still mentor the locker room.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - cow - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 03:08 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: LOL. This franchise is like a comedy show. It´s no surprise the rest of the league must consider us the fish at the table of every free agent or trade negotiation. McGee´s agent is probably using that contract as his #1 recruitment reference for all potential new clients. I was hoping Nico would change that. It might have gotten worse. And that´s the guy you want to make that #2 trade decision with Cuban. I´d rather have him make the #2 pick decision. There is a small chance he´d not overthink it and just take Scoot or Wembanyama. FYI I´m not convinced yet Wembanyama goes #1 because of the Porzingis/Oden history. The "Durant" seems the safer pick, while Wembanyama is the higher upside league-altering pick.

On the other hand means he plays less, but can still mentor the locker room.

The McGee situation is doubly FUBAR.  Not only did you overpay him in years, they also shelved him in the span of a few games.  That's going to be a red flag for potential free agents coming here.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - KillerLeft - 12-02-2022

This sums up the situation nicely, I think:

https://youtu.be/tmYWQN_lBVM

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - vfromlmf - 12-02-2022

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we are at the low point, possibly of Luka's NBA career, at least in terms of negative press.

The losses to bad teams, losing record, struggling support cast, narrative of no talent and no assets to make a move, the desperate Kemba signing and the GM's public statement that Walker's knee is "not good," losing Brunson for nothing and a game coming up in New York, the media is going to have a field day.

But the sky is not really falling. This team still employs perhaps the best offensive player in the NBA and he's starting to play pretty good defense, especially against good teams. 

The shooters will shoot better and Luka's usage won't be a thing if Mavs are winning and he's averaging double digit assists.

Hardy and Green look like young rotation players who will only get better.

Dallas has plenty of tradable contracts to make something happen and all their picks after this year.

This is rock bottom. Or at least it will be unless they lose to Brunson's Knicks. Confused

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 05:50 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The shooters will shoot better

I heard a stat last week that in the 6 games that we had lost in crunchtime (I believe this is before the Raps and Stons crunchtime losses) that we were 0-16 from deep in crunchtime itself.  It's wild to think that if that number was just 25% instead of 0% this team would probably be 14-7 with a top 3 team in the West.

Just sayin'

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - JamesConway912 - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 04:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This sums up the situation nicely, I think:

https://youtu.be/tmYWQN_lBVM
LOVE this

The national media needs to up the pressure by a few hundred percent. Cuban needs to be called out for the horrendous job the organization has done since drafting Luka. 

Also Luka HAS to step up behind the scenes. Loosing Brunson was also on him and his passiveness. The moment the NY stuff came out he should have put pressure on the Mavs to go into the tax and re-sign him instead of breaking up the team that just went to the WCF.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Chicagojk - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 06:06 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: LOVE this

The national media needs to up the pressure by a few hundred percent. Cuban needs to be called out for the horrendous job the organization has done since drafting Luka. 

Also Luka HAS to step up behind the scenes. Loosing Brunson was also on him and his passiveness. The moment the NY stuff came out he should have put pressure on the Mavs to go into the tax and re-sign him instead of breaking up the team that just went to the WCF.

My worst case scenario is Luka seeing Jalen having success in NYC.   The Knicks are really average but if Jalen makes the all star team...that is not good.   Then Luka looks at McGee and that is tough to have confidence in your front office.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - RoyTarpleysGhost - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 02:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsmoneyball/status/1598759533492436992

This guy is a moron.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - sefant - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 05:50 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: But the sky is not really falling. This team still employs perhaps the best offensive player in the NBA and he's starting to play pretty good defense, especially against good teams.

That is the entire root of the problem. If they have the same winning % vs. lottery teams than good teams, they are prolly in the top 4 right now.

THJ in the starting 5 worked vs. GS because Luka played good defense. It also worked because SD fouled out and Green took over.

Kidd has no clue how to coach the team based on whats happening on the floor. Never seen something like that. Don't tell me he is a defensive minded coach either after last night.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Chicagojk - 12-02-2022

I was listening to Cato's podcast and the Mavs regression could be really around 2 factors.   Losing Jalen really eliminated 10-12 efficient two point scores from last year.   The Mavs get very little two point shots.  Add this to the fact they get very few offensive rebounds and limited fast break points, it really drains the offense where droughts are more likely.   They are now so reliant on three point shots now.   And they are good shooters, but not great.   And some of these shooters are struggling.

On defense, they have no elite defenders but they were really tied together this year.   This lead to a good defensive team.  Just having a few guys not tied in on rotations, creates holes all over the place.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - vfromlmf - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 07:00 PM)sefant Wrote: Kidd has no clue how to coach the team

I'm still in wait and see mode on this tbh. 

Kidd is clearly tinkering with lineups and still working stuff out. He's also a recent superstar player himself, who knows it's a long season and might not really care all that much about a loss to an undermanned team in November. This team's success, or failure will be judged on the playoffs.

Of course, they have to make it to the playoffs first and you'll count me among those  carrying pitchforks if they don't. But I'm confident they will. There is no superteam in the West as far as I can tell and does it really matter if the Mavs first round opponent is Phoenix, the Clippers, the Nuggets or the Warriors? Those are all top veteran teams who will be hard to beat, regardless. 

And don't look now but there are some young upstart teams - Pelicans, Grizz, Kings! - who are actually above some of those teams. I don't fear young teams at all. Dallas has Memphis' number and no other teams are playoff tested. The Wolves look easily beatable (does anyone buy the KAT Gobert pairing?).  The Blazers are a dark horse to surprise some people but honestly the West is a crapshoot. Kidd knows this.

So why would he go to the whip in November? Or even December? 

Clearly the Mavs still have to sort some things out, and they may yet make a trade but if the playoffs started tomorrow with Dallas as a 7 or 8 seed versus Phoenix or Denver? I say lace 'em up and let's go.  Dallas still employs the top three players in MPG from the WCF team and 9 of the top 10 overall. 

Yes, Brunson is missing 33 min and 18 points ... but in THJ's last playoffs he averaged 37 min and 17 points on fewer shots than JB ... and you also have Wood. Dinwiddie and Luka will both play 40+ MPG and Green is better, so two playmakers issue in the playoffs is solved.

To be clear, I'm not saying this year's team is better than last season's team. Brunson was special. But this team will be very good when the games matter and a really tough out against anyone in the West. They just need to play their best players "playoff minutes" and tighten up on defense.

**EDIT: If Reggie still can't shoot by March please forget I wrote this.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - sefant - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 07:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was listening to Cato's podcast and the Mavs regression could be really around 2 factors.   Losing Jalen really eliminated 10-12 efficient two point scores from last year.   The Mavs get very little two point shots.  Add this to the fact they get very few offensive rebounds and limited fast break points, it really drains the offense where droughts are more likely.   They are now so reliant on three point shots now.   And they are good shooters, but not great.   And some of these shooters are struggling.

On defense, they have no elite defenders but they were really tied together this year.   This lead to a good defensive team.  Just having a few guys not tied in on rotations, creates holes all over the place.

Willing to point out that despite losing Brunson the Mavs are still 10th on offense this year. And multiple guys forgot how to shoot still. And last year they were only 14th on offense. Everyone keeps talking about Brunson, the defense regression is the way way bigger problem so far for me. Unless Brunson was the guy who did hold the entire team together. And the team has unknown locker room problems. 

Defense is only great whenever Green is on the floor. The moment he is off, its full on desaster class.

My ""dream/hope"" before the season started was always Green replacing Brunson 1n1 and hope the offense is not going to suffer a lot, but the defense getting closer to top 3 and top 5 in the league. Now the defense is a complete mess. Green is losing minutes, unless he is going 8 out of 9 three's. Can't make that shit up.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - sterlingmallory - 12-02-2022

Ugh, all these quotes today from Nico have been killing me. Every time I hear him talk he really just sounds totally out of his depth. I'm sure he's a great guy that has lots of friends around the league, but damn if he doesn't sound like a moron in all his interviews. He never says anything at all of substance, either he dodges the question, gives generic, surface level analysis, or says dumb stuff like his comments about Kemba. 

It just lends further credence to the idea that he was solely hired to be a figurehead "relationship" guy while Cuban, Kidd, and Finley are the ones actually running the franchise.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 08:13 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: It just lends further credence to the idea that he was solely hired to be a figurehead "relationship" guy while Cuban, Kidd, and Finley are the ones actually running the franchise.

My thoughts too.
Nico is the GM by name only, and he's there when discussions are on-going, but the actual planning and who to get/deal -- IMHo, somebody else is on that chair.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Kammrath - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 07:00 PM)sefant Wrote: Kidd has no clue how to coach the team based on whats happening on the floor. Never seen something like that. Don't tell me he is a defensive minded coach either after last night.

It's really embarrassing to watch. They might as well not have a coach at times.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Kammrath - 12-02-2022

LAL is 7-2 in their last 9 and about to catch the Mavs....

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - DanSchwartzgan - 12-03-2022

(12-02-2022, 11:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: LAL is 7-2 in their last 9 and about to catch the Mavs....

We have the 10th pick at Tankathon as of this morning.  Lose today and we will swap places with NY for 9th.  If that happens and LAL wins their next game, we will be tied for 8th.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Mavs2021 - 12-03-2022

Jason Kidd on Jaden Hardy getting called up by the Mavericks after a strong G League stint: "Hopefully, he gets an opportunity to play."

LMAO. You all got this a** backwards. Apparently Jason Kidd is not only not the GM of the Mavs, he ain´t even the coach. Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-03-2022

To be clear, I'm not saying this year's team is better than last season's team. Brunson was special. But this team will be very good when the games matter and a really tough out against anyone in the West. They just need to play their best players "playoff minutes" and tighten up on defense.

**EDIT: If Reggie still can't shoot by March please forget I wrote this.

That's easier said than done.  This year just feels different.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 10th O | 13th D | 10th Net | 11th in West | 1-5 in last 6 - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 12-03-2022

(12-03-2022, 07:15 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Jason Kidd on Jaden Hardy getting called up by the Mavericks after a strong G League stint: "Hopefully, he gets an opportunity to play."

LMAO. You all got this a** backwards. Apparently Jason Kidd is not only not the GM of the Mavs, he ain´t even the coach. Big Grin

LOL.
I guess the assistant coaches must be so adamant on their stance not to give Green, Wood and Hardy minutes.
Poor Jason, he only wants what's best.