MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - ItsGoTime - 11-28-2022

(11-27-2022, 11:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: You can say Cuban should be able to take a joke and not be sensitive - and you are right - but that doesn't absolve these clowns of being douchey and rude.

IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY, you generally can't deride others in front of their peers and laugh at/about them. 40-50 years ago you could laugh at people and everyone would laugh too, but now society is so sensitive and people are so caught up in their own feelings and image, and now you just can't. So having the expectation that they will like it (or you) when you do it, that's just wrong. It's not like Cuban was their good buddy who they always teased with - he was a total stranger to them, who had never met them and owed them no latitude.

That they also did that in the context of asking the guy they are insulting to write them a big check is the height of stupidity.
Ridiculous. They NOW know that is a joke they can’t make with Cuban, but there are jokes made at many of the shark’s expense that are laughed off. “Douchery”? Only a Mavs fan would say that about the joke, and it wasn’t all that big a deal. They said the GSW logo smelled like winning, sorry Mark. It was more about the GSW than Mark’s team. Making a mountain out of a molehill. Even the other sharks said “oh, come on, Mark”, just as every other non-sensitive Mavs fan said to their TV screen.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Mavs2021 - 11-28-2022

(11-27-2022, 11:52 PM)F Gump Wrote: If the season ended today, barring some extreme negative lottery luck, the Mavs would keep their pick.

In fact, Mavs are now just as close to the bottom spot as to the top. Just saying. Maybe dreams of Wemby aren't so ludicrous after all!

They are, cause when push comes to shove, the Mavs will fight, while everybody else will play dead and pass them downwards. Danny Ainge won´t fight for the last play-in spot, but Cuban will. Maybe the Lakers will pass us, too. They are already pretty close, then we have some margin for error.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - F Gump - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 12:44 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ridiculous. They NOW know that is a joke they can’t make with Cuban, but there are jokes made at many of the shark’s expense that are laughed off. “Douchery”? Only a Mavs fan would say that about the joke, and it wasn’t all that big a deal. They said the GSW logo smelled like winning, sorry Mark. It was more about the GSW than Mark’s team. Making a mountain out of a molehill. Even the other sharks said “oh, come on, Mark”, just as every other non-sensitive Mavs fan said to their TV screen.

Again, it didn't offend ME because the Mavs aren't my baby.

But I stand by my observation that taking shots at potential investors you don't know personally is not a smart presentation method when trying to get them to invest. Your idea that "now they know" is certainly true, but to me that was NEVER the place you should want to be playing trial-and-error on what might be offensive to your audience. How can you win at that game?

And fwiw, as to the norms on the show ...
1 yes I have certainly seen sharks (and including Mark) joke around.
2 but I haven't seen ANY shark fail to bristle when one of their companies is bashed
3 nor have I ever seen a candidate call Mark and his Mavs losers, ever, in any way
4 I have also seen other sharks who at times have felt disrespected (like Mark felt he was here) and they also said (like Mark did) "Screw you, I'm out." 

Seems to me the normal motif is to soothe and suck up to the obvious hot buttons.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - HoosierDaddyKid - 11-28-2022

(11-27-2022, 12:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote: ONLY this level of disastrous because your coach refuses to sign Dragic for the minimum, who WANTS to be here and gives you 90% of what JB gives you.

At this point in his career, it would be more like 45%

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - JamesConway912 - 11-28-2022

(11-27-2022, 12:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote: ONLY this level of disastrous because your coach refuses to sign Dragic for the minimum, who WANTS to be here and gives you 90% of what JB gives you.

Dragic would have helped, but 90% of what Brunson gives you? Really? 

The offense is stuck in the mud without JB. That was a HUGE loss and blow to the team. JB would be a heavy lifter here. High minutes-high impact type of guy, Dragic doesn’t have that in him anymore. 

JB is basically Din on steroids like we saw in the playoffs and right now in NY (PER of 22 type season for a perimeter heavy guy is special).

We REALLY miss Jalen Brunson.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - ItsGoTime - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 01:33 AM)F Gump Wrote: Again, it didn't offend ME because the Mavs aren't my baby.

But I stand by my observation that taking shots at potential investors you don't know personally is not a smart presentation method when trying to get them to invest. Your idea that "now they know" is certainly true, but to me that was NEVER the place you should want to be playing trial-and-error on what might be offensive to your audience. How can you win at that game?

And fwiw, as to the norms on the show ...
1 yes I have certainly seen sharks (and including Mark) joke around.
2 but I haven't seen ANY shark fail to bristle when one of their companies is bashed
3 nor have I ever seen a candidate call Mark and his Mavs losers, ever, in any way
4 I have also seen other sharks who at times have felt disrespected (like Mark felt he was here) and they also said (like Mark did) "Screw you, I'm out." 

Seems to me the normal motif is to soothe and suck up to the obvious hot buttons.
#3 That’s the problem with your thinking, they didn’t call the Mavs losers, they called the Warriors winners and apologized to Mark. 

I stand by what I said, douchery? Nah. If Cuban can’t take a joke from a couple guys that seem to want to joke around, they don’t want him to be an investor. Bit of a gamble? Sure, potentially eliminating 1 out of 5 people who can turn your company (who is already making decent money) up. In the end, they got an investor, so the gamble worked and now they don’t have to work with the douche who can’t take a sports joke.

The Warriors are just a better team, if Mark can’t come to grips with that fact, he’s the delusional douche.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - JamesConway912 - 11-28-2022

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1597197977877102592?s=46&t=vtp1fLz32HUtwxO_pcowMg

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Chicagojk - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 07:09 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1597197977877102592?s=46&t=vtp1fLz32HUtwxO_pcowMg

They really need to try something.  Not sure if Kemba has much left but at least they are trying.   Maybe he can string together 6 weeks of respectable play.

The answer can't be to play Luka 40 plus minutes in November against teams resting starters.   That is going to lead to doom.   Facu is a good emergency point (what they said they wanted), it is just Dallas needs someone who can play regular minutes.  

Does that mean Facu is let go?   Frank?  Theo?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Branduil - 11-28-2022

LOL. LMAO even

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Jym - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 07:17 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Does that mean Facu is let go?   Frank?  Theo?

Maybe they'll stick with tradition and release Hardy

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Chicagojk - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 07:21 AM)Jym Wrote: Maybe they'll stick with tradition and release Hardy

Ha.   Laughing but secretly wondering......

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - DanSchwartzgan - 11-28-2022

Off to a 1-7 start on the road and suddenly under .500 overall, Dallas is poised to make a move to try to find an additional spark for its backcourt

The Dallas Mavericks are in advanced talks to sign Kemba Walker and could complete the signing of the former All-Star guard as early as this week pending physical examinations, league sources tell The Stein Line.

Off to a 9-10 start and fresh off a winless Eastern Conference road swing through Boston, Toronto and Milwaukee that extended its losing streak to four games, Dallas has targeted Walker, 32, in hopes he can help address its needs for both increased perimeter shooting and additional ballhandling off the bench.

The Mavericks would have to create a roster spot to sign Walker, which is most easily be done by waiving Facundo Campazzo. The Argentinean guard, who played alongside Mavericks star Luka Dončić at Real Madrid in Spain, has been used sparingly in seven games since Dallas signed Campazzo to a non-guaranteed contract just as the season was starting in mid-October.

Walker has been looking for his next team since June, when his hometown New York Knicks dealt him to Detroit on draft night after one season of struggle as a Knick. The Pistons absorbed Walker’s contract as part of a trade to acquire the draft rights to No. 13 overall pick Jalen Duren with no intention of ever playing him and ultimately released Walker — eating his guaranteed $9.2 million salary for this season — by waiving him in final roster cuts for the new season.

Whoever decided not to pay Brunson the money needed to keep needs to be fired (Cuban). Whoever openly agreed with his decision should also be fired.

Whoever decided, after that failure, to not sign Dragic should also be fired.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - JamesConway912 - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 07:39 AM)Branduil Wrote: Whoever decided not to pay Brunson the money needed to keep needs to be fired (Cuban). Whoever openly agreed with his decision should also be fired.

Whoever decided, after that failure, to not sign Dragic should also be fired.

This.

At this point I almost suspect the decision not to sign a Brunson replacement was Cuban-mandated spite, as if to say "We NEVER needed you." The other possibility, that the rest of the front office truly agreed they would be fine without a third point guard, seems beyond belief.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Jym - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 07:48 AM)Branduil Wrote: At this point I almost suspect the decision not to sign a Brunson replacement was Cuban-mandated spite, as if to say "We NEVER needed you." The other possibility, that the rest of the front office truly agreed they would be fine without a third point guard, seems beyond belief.

I'm still baffled how a low mpg center bubbled to the top of needs when they looked at the roster
you can sign for those the minimum in the modern NBA

I'd imagine they are looking for a more regular contributor.   We will see if he is up to it.  His minutes absolutely can't come at the expense of Josh Green minutes though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Kammrath - 11-28-2022

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1597261573407805440

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - KillerLeft - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 11:26 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1597261573407805440

I've said this a bunch lately, but I'm going to keep pounding this because I think it's important:

When a team can't score, they tend not to try as hard on defense. Defense is how two good teams find out who's better between them. Without an offense nobody even feels like they're on a good team. 

For this reason, alone, they should be at least trying to develop the Luka/Wood combo into something that could be foundational. I get that it's not a given this plan will be successful, but without another means of creating offense (besides Luka finding a mismatch and attacking) this thing is dead in the water. We have 3 seasons of proof that teams won't allow him to play pick and roll basketball with a rim runner when things matter.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - Mavs2021 - 11-28-2022

(11-27-2022, 11:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: You can say Cuban should be able to take a joke and not be sensitive - and you are right - but that doesn't absolve these clowns of being douchey and rude.

IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY, you generally can't deride others in front of their peers and laugh at/about them. 40-50 years ago you could laugh at people and everyone would laugh too, but now society is so sensitive and people are so caught up in their own feelings and image, and now you just can't. So having the expectation that they will like it (or you) when you do it, that's just wrong. It's not like Cuban was their good buddy who they always teased with - he was a total stranger to them, who had never met them and owed them no latitude.

That they also did that in the context of asking the guy they are insulting to write them a big check is the height of stupidity.

Hey could be worse. Imagine if they had shown a comic to their potential investors instead or didn´t show up to the pitch of their own product at all, but send a bland sales rep instead. Now that would be the height of stupidity. Big Grin