MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 12:39 AM)Kammrath Wrote: ONLY this level of disastrous because your coach refuses to sign Dragic for the minimum, who WANTS to be here and gives you 90% of what JB gives you.

90%?

come on man. Don’t be that guy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - Mavs2021 - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 12:23 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Amusing if not hilarious.  I'm sure those young men thought Mark would find it funny, they even had their GSW joke prepared. Tongue  I'm reminded of a story an IT executive years ago about what happened when anyone came to certain Microsoft high level marketing and executive meetings to try offer their wares or to work with Microsoft in any respect. 

If they came in with an iPad or even an iPhone, the chances of them getting the deal was zero to none.  Sick 
He said MS would generally not even explain why the suitors were quickly dismissed. 
Of course the corporate relationships have broadened since those days and MS works hand in hand with Apple on several fronts but Mark Cuban's remark about "reading the room" is relevant advice usually kept in the back rooms.

Maybe they did read the room. As basketball fans, they probably know the shitshow that Cuban is overseeing. Therefore they decide to entertain the others at the expense of Cuban. It worked. Everybody else was having a blast. Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - SleepingHero - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 12:23 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Amusing if not hilarious.  I'm sure those young men thought Mark would find it funny, they even had their GSW joke prepared. Tongue  I'm reminded of a story an IT executive years ago about what happened when anyone came to certain Microsoft high level marketing and executive meetings to try offer their wares or to work with Microsoft in any respect. 

If they came in with an iPad or even an iPhone, the chances of them getting the deal was zero to none.  Sick 
He said MS would generally not even explain why the suitors were quickly dismissed. 
Of course the corporate relationships have broadened since those days and MS works hand in hand with Apple on several fronts but Mark Cuban's remark about "reading the room" is relevant advice usually kept in the back rooms.

I agree that Mark gave them sound advice. If you're trying to woo an investor, poking fun at them generally isn't a good way to do that.

But it's telling how sensitive Mark is regarding the Mavs. He's emotionally invested, and probably got personally offended someone "attacked" the results of his team, because it's also a reflection of Mark's choices and own failures. 

I can't imagine another owner getting that animated over a silly joke. STILL, Mark is correct in that you got to read the room.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - chaparral - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 05:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I agree that Mark gave them sound advice. If you're trying to woo an investor, poking fun at them generally isn't a good way to do that.

But it's telling how sensitive Mark is regarding the Mavs. He's emotionally invested, and probably got personally offended someone "attacked" the results of his team, because it's also a reflection of Mark's choices and own failures. 

I can't imagine another owner getting that animated over a silly joke. STILL, Mark is correct in that you got to read the room.

I bet if that Shark Tank clip would have continued, we would have seen Mark try to criticize the GS fans more after going out. Only to see one of the GS fan's say - I get it Cubes, we insulted your team, and we are sorry.  But if you want a better team, you should have hired a real GM...

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - Kammrath - 11-27-2022

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1597033039917637632

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - Dahlsim - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 01:48 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Maybe they did read the room. As basketball fans, they probably know the shitshow that Cuban is overseeing. Therefore they decide to entertain the others at the expense of Cuban. It worked. Everybody else was having a blast. Big Grin

Good point since in the end they landed an investor.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - ItsGoTime - 11-27-2022

It was absolutely sour grapes from Cuban. Who cares if your investees HATE the Mavs if they can make you money? Such an emotional tool.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - F Gump - 11-27-2022

This.

While Cuban comes off as looking juvenile in the video, in this case on a bigger level he was right as he could be.

These guys came in with a PLAN to take a shot at Cuban and his baby, and that's not how you win friends (or get someone to want to give you money and help you make money). You want to play to the decision maker's ego, and get him to like you. Calling all the non-GS teams losers - and then making it personal (!) and intentional (!) by acknowledging IN THEIR PITCH how it was a slight at Cuban - is about as opposite an approach as you can take if you want Cuban's money.

Stroke his ego. How easy would it have been to use a Mavs logo, and suck up, and talk about how they would win the next one with fresher scents. But no.

In regards to Cuban, this was total disrespect, as if he's their buddy that they can throw under the bus and laugh at and poke fun of. But Cuban is someone they didn't know at all and whom they SHOULD have shown respect to in that show context. Instead of respect, they deliberately chose the douchebag route.

They also had a chance to read the room and didn't -- ie, when their attempt at humor came off to Cuban as a slap in the face, and everyone could see it on his sour face, THEY should have retreated quickly with humility. Either they didn't have a plan, didn't notice, or didn't care, all of which were bad bad bad.

The worst part of all for them was that Cuban is usually the worst negotiator in the room, and will let his emotions and best intentions out-weigh his business sense. Taking that shot at him, even if they felt it was cute, was an incredibly stupid move from a business perspective (and in Cuban's defense, when these pitch guys show you they are dolts in how they deal with people, isn't it smart to just  walk away?)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - ItsGoTime - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 09:49 PM)F Gump Wrote: This.

While Cuban comes off as looking juvenile in the video, in this case on a bigger level he was right as he could be.

These guys came in with a PLAN to take a shot at Cuban and his baby, and that's not how you win friends (or get someone to want to give you money and help you make money). You want to play to the decision maker's ego, and get him to like you. Calling all the non-GS teams losers - and then making it personal (!) and intentional (!) by acknowledging IN THEIR PITCH how it was a slight at Cuban - is about as opposite an approach as you can take if you want Cuban's money.

Stroke his ego. How easy would it have been to use a Mavs logo, and suck up, and talk about how they would win the next one with fresher scents. But no.

In regards to Cuban, this was total disrespect, as if he's their buddy that they can throw under the bus and laugh at and poke fun of. But Cuban is someone they didn't know at all and whom they SHOULD have shown respect to in that show context. Instead of respect, they deliberately chose the douchebag route.

They also had a chance to read the room and didn't -- ie, when their attempt at humor came off to Cuban as a slap in the face, and everyone could see it on his sour face, THEY should have retreated quickly with humility. Either they didn't have a plan, didn't notice, or didn't care, all of which were bad bad bad.

The worst part of all for them was that Cuban is usually the worst negotiator in the room, and will let his emotions and best intentions out-weigh his business sense. Taking that shot at him, even if they felt it was cute, was an incredibly stupid move from a business perspective (and in Cuban's defense, when these pitch guys show you they are dolts in how they deal with people, isn't it smart to just  walk away?)
On the flip side, if Cuban can't take a bit of ribbing and is so sensitive that he'll not do a deal, why would they want to work with him? Read the room? I say take a joke!

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - KillerLeft - 11-27-2022

I think you guys are all missing the truly depressing thing shown in that video.

Cuban isn’t really upset, he’s PERFORMING. It’s television, and that look on his face is him trying to figure out how to make that chunk of the show more interesting and get more screen time. Nothing about it is real or sincere in the slightest.

The depressing part is that he thinks he is being charismatic and likable.

Inventors routinely make fun of Mr. Wonderful's bald head, are they not reading the room? Ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/status/1597067817823899648

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - F Gump - 11-27-2022

You can say Cuban should be able to take a joke and not be sensitive - and you are right - but that doesn't absolve these clowns of being douchey and rude.

IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY, you generally can't deride others in front of their peers and laugh at/about them. 40-50 years ago you could laugh at people and everyone would laugh too, but now society is so sensitive and people are so caught up in their own feelings and image, and now you just can't. So having the expectation that they will like it (or you) when you do it, that's just wrong. It's not like Cuban was their good buddy who they always teased with - he was a total stranger to them, who had never met them and owed them no latitude.

That they also did that in the context of asking the guy they are insulting to write them a big check is the height of stupidity.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 11-27-2022

(11-27-2022, 11:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: You can say Cuban should be able to take a joke and not be sensitive - and you are right - but that doesn't absolve these clowns of being douchey and rude.

IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY, you generally can't deride others in front of their peers and laugh at/about them. 40-50 years ago you could laugh at people and everyone would laugh too, but now society is so sensitive and people are so caught up in their own feelings and image, and now you just can't. So having the expectation that they will like it (or you) when you do it, that's just wrong. It's not like Cuban was their good buddy who they always teased with - he was a total stranger to them, who had never met them and owed them no latitude.

That they also did that in the context of asking the guy they are insulting to write them a big check is the height of stupidity.

If Cuban wasn't acting (which I think he is, but that's assumption, so no point in discussing), then I agree. That's a pretty stupid joke, if anything, they should have tried to win over Cuban having Mav logo instead. It would be cringy, but it would be the right play.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 10th D | 7th Net | 11th in West - dynamicalVoid - 11-27-2022

The salesmen were either ignorant or take unnecessary risks.  Both constitute an "I'm out" in my opinion. 

Its pretty simple.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1597068761118699521

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Kammrath - 11-27-2022

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-27-10.40.02-PM.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-27-10.45.17-PM.png]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - F Gump - 11-27-2022

If the season ended today, barring some extreme negative lottery luck, the Mavs would keep their pick.

In fact, Mavs are now just as close to the bottom spot as to the top. Just saying. Maybe dreams of Wemby aren't so ludicrous after all!

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Kammrath - 11-28-2022

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1597096915237482498

RE: MAVS NEWS: 12th O | 12th D | 9th Net | 11th in West - Kammrath - 11-28-2022

https://twitter.com/dmn_mavericks/status/1597091360775065600