MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - Smitty - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 11:02 AM)cow Wrote: Gobert just set the market with 5 first round picks.  You can argue the merits of Gobert versus Simmons, both all world defenders with major deficiencies on offense but Simmons is more valuable on that end because of ball handling and play making.  Simmons has more severe headcase issues and possible medical issues but compensation is going to be in the same neighborhood.  Simmons is much younger.  Both contracts are of the same length but Gobert has an additional year on a PO.  Utah was obviously going to trade Gobert.  I don't see the Nets as having desire to trade Simmons.  If Kyrie and KD go, they can make him the focal point which is something he wants.  He'll also keep them in contention as they have no desire to tank.  Let's be overly generous and say he only costs you 3 first round picks and players that are either useful on the court or as future trade assets.  Dallas can't even put together that package.  And while I think Gobert was an overpay, Dallas also has a bad habit of overpaying in trades.

And even if you could scrape together a desirable package, you are leveraging your future again a la the KP trade while still not having paid for the KP trade.

I don’t disagree with your perceived value of Simmons. I personally think it would take at least a pick or two with a THJ+Powell package for Simmons and maybe no pick for Irving. I view Simmons value, with no picks included, closer to Wood+DFS. My point is, that if the cost is minimal, like some think here - (THJ+Powell+Green) - then all of us should be ecstatic with a deal like that. The Mavs have never added a star and to say we wouldn’t or shouldn’t at that cost, is being unreasonable.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - cow - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 12:56 PM)Smitty Wrote: I don’t disagree with your perceived value of Simmons. I personally think it would take at least a pick or two with a THJ+Powell package for Simmons and maybe no pick for Irving. I view Simmons value, with no picks included, closer to Wood+DFS. My point is, that if the cost is minimal, like some think here - (THJ+Powell+Green) - then all of us should be ecstatic with a deal like that. The Mavs have never added a star and to say we wouldn’t or shouldn’t at that cost, is being unreasonable.

I'd love to have Simmons but thinking the Nets are just going to give him away is a pipe dream.  They have no incentive to trade him now.  They don't own future picks so they aren't going to tank.  Simmons trade value is at an all time low.  Him playing for them will remedy that to a certain degree.  They are going to want talent and picks back.  What's the best the Mavs can offer?  Wood+Maxi+DFS + 2FRPs?  That might get you a conversation but I don't think it gets the deal done.  

I just go back to what Minny paid for Gobert.  If the asking price was equal, who would you rather have?  Both similar players.  Simmons (upside) or Gobert (safer)?  I can see arguments either way but I don't think the decision in either direction is all that far apart.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - KillerLeft - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:16 PM)cow Wrote: They have no incentive to trade him now. 

That's just it. I believe (could be wrong) that they have every incentive to trade him. In fact, I think they are probably desperate to do so.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - SwisherPrice - 07-04-2022

The fact that Ben Simmons' shooting issues are mental is WORSE than it being physical or a matter of fixing his form because that's probably harder to get over.

Simmons has made five threes in his entire career. Kidd's lack of shooting was overblown. He wasn't a terrible shooter early in his career, he was just inconsistent. His shooting averages were not too different from a lot of guards in his era. Simmons has attempted 34 threes in four years in the league. Kidd attempted 257 in his rookie year alone  Big Grin

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - KillerLeft - 07-04-2022

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1543736417507057667?s=20&t=Gs7cJwVTKwVIhMEAZA6a2Q

(07-04-2022, 01:19 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The fact that Ben Simmons' shooting issues are mental is WORSE than it being physical or a matter of fixing his form because that's probably harder to get over.

Simmons has made five threes in his entire career. Kidd's lack of shooting was overblown. He wasn't a terrible shooter early in his career, he was just inconsistent. His shooting averages were not too different from a lot of guards in his era. Simmons has attempted 34 threes in four years in the league. Kidd attempted 257 in his rookie year alone  Big Grin

I have no issues with his inability to shoot, to be clear. 

The mental issues I'd be worried about are the ones A) keeping him off of the floor at all, and B) making him scared to draw contact in the paint because he's scared of shooting free throws. The second one is a HUGE deal, but it's fairy new. He didn't always have that problem. 

I would use him as a screener in the half court, and feel they could work around his lack of shooting if the two concerns above were in the rearview mirror. If they're ongoing, then yeah, bad move to acquire him. 

But, it's not the shooting. If you can't envision him as anything other than a primary ball-handler, then sure - the shooting is a deal breaker. To continue playing in this league, he'll need to become a forward/small ball big. This wouldn't have worked in Philly because of Embiid.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - cow - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's just it. I believe (could be wrong) that they have every incentive to trade him. In fact, I think they are probably desperate to do so.

Kyrie?  Yes.  Durant?  Yes.  Simmons?  I don't see it.  He's at his all time low trade value wise which is the worst time to trade someone.  And I don't see why the Nets would be desperate.  They are in bad space with two of their guys wanting out and no future draft picks.  Hanging onto to Simmons to try to rebuild his trade value would be an easy decision.  So why do you think they want to trade him so badly?

(07-04-2022, 01:29 PM)cow Wrote: Kyrie?  Yes.  Durant?  Yes.  Simmons?  I don't see it.

It's a rule. They literally aren't allowed to acquire some of the targets they might want while Simmons is on the team. I am 99% sure Simmons gets moved before or during this upcoming Durant transaction.

(07-04-2022, 01:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's a rule. They literally aren't allowed to acquire some of the targets they might want while Simmons is on the team. I am 99% sure Simmons gets moved before or during this upcoming Durant transaction.

I wouldn't call that desperate.  If that situation comes up, I bet they extract value good value from the trade.

(07-04-2022, 01:35 PM)cow Wrote: I wouldn't call that desperate.  If that situation comes up, I bet they extract value good value from the trade.

Well, "desperate" and "good value" are both terms of relativity. 

I'm simply saying that a shocking number of potential Durant trade outcomes come with the necessity of removing Simmons from the roster. I'm confident that IF Durant gets traded (not a definite, I suppose) THEN Simmons won't be a Net next year.

(07-04-2022, 01:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, "desperate" and "good value" are both terms of relativity. 

I'm simply saying that a shocking number of potential Durant trade outcomes come with the necessity of removing Simmons from the roster. I'm confident that IF Durant gets traded (not a definite, I suppose) THEN Simmons won't be a Net next year.

Eh.  Desperate is the Mavs trying to trade KP.  Having potential KD trades that require moving Ben Simmons doesn't mean they'll take the first offer that comes along for him.

We (this board) tend to dream of big names (Kemba and Lowry most recently) and then end up with the likes of Wright and Bullock.  And at the same time we find a way to nitpick big names with concerns about fit and what not.  Hell, someone said this past week they wouldn't be interested in Durant.  

You want a big name?  Offer a future first and THJ or Dinwiddie and additional players to salary match Kyrie's contract.  That would beat what the Lakers are going to offer in Westbrook + distant FRP and the Nets would gladly not send Kyrie where he wants to go.  Thinking we could offer the same and get Ben Simmons instead is crazy.  And Simmons value and the Mavs not being able to afford him is how this tangent kicked off.

(07-04-2022, 01:47 PM)cow Wrote: Having potential KD trades that require moving Ben Simmons doesn't mean they'll take the first offer that comes along for him.

Never said anything remotely like that. 

To get Mitchell (or Booker, or others) ONTO their roster, the Nets MUST remove Simmons from their roster. That's all I'm saying. 

Since they won't be tanking, they'll need to get a player on that level onto their roster, and it's very likely he'll be in his rookie max extension already, so...Simmons is very, very likely to get traded.

(07-04-2022, 01:47 PM)cow Wrote: We (this board) tend to of big names (Kemba and Lowry most recently) and then end up with the likes of Wright and Bullock.  And at the same time we find a way to nitpick big names with concerns about fit and what not.  Hell, someone said this past week they wouldn't be interested in Durant.  

You want a big name?  Offer a future first and THJ or Dinwiddie and additional players to salary match Kyrie's contract.  That would beat what the Lakers are going to offer in Westbrook + distant FRP and the Nets would gladly not send Kyrie where he wants to go.  Thinking we could offer the same and get Ben Simmons instead is crazy.  And Simmons value and the Mavs not being able to afford him is how this tangent kicked off.

Oh, sure, but this isn't the conversation (I thought) we were having. 

When I used "desperate" I was only referring to the necessity of getting rid of Simmons, not the price they'd ask. I don't think it's likely he ends up in Dallas any more than you do. I just think it's almost a lock that he gets moved somewhere.

(07-04-2022, 01:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Never said anything remotely like that. 

But you inserted yourself into the discussion (that's not a bad thing!) about the value of Ben Simmons and if they Mavs could afford him which was the crux of the discussion.  If they need to trade him to get someone more desirable, it doesn't mean they are going to punt on his value.

(07-04-2022, 01:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Oh, sure, but this isn't the conversation (I thought) we were having. 

It's the conversation I thought we were having.  I was respond to Kamm who was respond to me saying "we can't afford him".   I'm dumber than a bag of rocks though.

(07-04-2022, 01:52 PM)cow Wrote: But you inserted yourself into the discussion (that's not a bad thing!) about the value of Ben Simmons and if they Mavs could afford him which was the crux of the discussion.  If they need to trade him to get someone more desirable, it doesn't mean they are going to punt on his value.

I didn't mean to insert myself anywhere or disrupt the flow of anything (sidebar: this is why I hate the super threads, especially when every tweet/topic gets discussed in all 3-4 of them. Makes it very difficult to follow the conversations), sorry. 

I think there's an outside chance the Mavs could afford him (if they're willing to pay the price). No earthly idea if A) the Nets will get better offers, B) the Mavs even want the guy or C) he even wants to come here. 

I do think that he WILL be traded soon, and that he will be the cheapest of the BRK trio, by far.

(07-04-2022, 01:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I didn't mean to insert myself anywhere or disrupt the flow of anything (sidebar: this is why I hate the super threads, especially when every tweet/topic gets discussed in all 3-4 of them. Makes it very difficult to follow the conversations), sorry. 

I think there's an outside chance the Mavs could afford him (if they're willing to pay the price). No earthly idea if A) the Nets will get better offers, B) the Mavs even want the guy or C) he even wants to come here. 

I do think that he WILL be traded soon, and that he will be the cheapest of the BRK trio, by far.

Insert away.  Again, it's not a bad thing.  I just think we are talking about two slightly different things albeit about same player.    Love you, bro.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-04-2022

(07-04-2022, 01:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1543736417507057667?s=20&t=Gs7cJwVTKwVIhMEAZA6a2Q

I guess so. They have to save face for that major gaff they allowed to happened last week.

(07-04-2022, 01:59 PM)cow Wrote: I just think we are talking about two slightly different things albeit about same player.    Love you, bro.

Ditto.

Reading through again, I think the only place I disagree with you is that I don't believe BRK's thinking on Simmons will have anything to do with his value (I don't think they'll move him or hold him based on that) but everything to do with the Durant situation. That's all. 

They will get the most favorable outcome possible in whatever deal they include him in, for sure, and sure, that might put him out of reach for Dallas (who we don't even know to be interested in him).

(07-04-2022, 02:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ditto.

Reading through again, I think the only place I disagree with you is that I don't believe BRK's thinking on Simmons will have anything to do with his value (I don't think they'll move him or hold him based on that) but everything to do with the Durant situation. That's all. 

They will get the most favorable outcome possible in whatever deal they include him in, for sure, and sure, that might put him out of reach for Dallas.

The Durant situation is tough as it's impossible to get back his on court value and his preferred teams aren't going to want to gut themselves to do it and it would change Kevin's desire to play there in the first place.  The secondary pieces that would come back might be viewed less desirably than Ben and could be routed to a third team as well.  It just depends how the Nets view Simmons I guess.  

I still think it's in everyone's best interest to get that band back together again but I'm not sure anyone is willing to swallow their pride.

(07-04-2022, 02:11 PM)cow Wrote: I still think it's in everyone's best interest to get that band back together again but I'm not sure anyone is willing to swallow their pride.

Yeah, I'm not sure, either. But I think this ship has sailed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: interest in Thybulle? Kyrie?? | leaving roster spot for future? - Kammrath - 07-04-2022

https://twitter.com/kampagnepapi/status/1544077699710320640