MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 5th D | 5th Net | 9th in West - JamesConway912 - 11-22-2022

https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/status/1594893906893713410?s=46&t=LVL0xhPmcGJvsR7WNcLBPQ

https://giphy.com/gifs/TheSwoon-netflix-swoon-theswoon-uubUtlJ2CbDRqQklCT

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 5th D | 5th Net | 9th in West - cow - 11-22-2022

(11-21-2022, 06:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Bald guy in his 40s rocking the backwards cap. Kidd has bigger problems than roster moves or rotations.

Be thankful you aren't his wife.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 5th D | 5th Net | 9th in West - SleepingHero - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 02:58 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: https://twitter.com/thehoopcentral/status/1594893906893713410?s=46&t=LVL0xhPmcGJvsR7WNcLBPQ

https://giphy.com/gifs/TheSwoon-netflix-swoon-theswoon-uubUtlJ2CbDRqQklCT

Are we going to do this every time? 

He's gone. He wanted to leave. Knicks are 9-9. Perfectly mediocre.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 5th D | 5th Net | 9th in West - Kammrath - 11-22-2022

(11-22-2022, 03:08 AM)cow Wrote: Be thankful you aren't his wife.

[Image: ice-cube-chris-tucker.gif]

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Kammrath - 11-23-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1595618487623352327

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Kammrath - 11-23-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1595617598523281408

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 5th D | 5th Net | 9th in West - Mavs2021 - 11-23-2022

(11-22-2022, 03:44 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Are we going to do this every time? 

He's gone. He wanted to leave. Knicks are 9-9. Perfectly mediocre.

Angel Confused

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Kammrath - 11-24-2022

https://twitter.com/YourManDevine/status/1595794274045628418

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Kammrath - 11-24-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1595709600233590784

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - DanSchwartzgan - 11-24-2022

(11-24-2022, 10:41 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1595709600233590784

This 

"If this is a transition year, the focus should be to develop Green. And push the Wood experience (even if it's challenging) to the max...to see what is really there. No unknowns elsewhere imo."

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - dirkfansince1998 - 11-24-2022

(11-24-2022, 10:50 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This 

"If this is a transition year, the focus should be to develop Green. And push the Wood experience (even if it's challenging) to the max...to see what is really there. No unknowns elsewhere imo."

When have the Mavs ever accepted the reality of a transition year? If there isn´t a drastic change behind the scenes it is more likely that they will try to bring in past their prime veteran help instead of developing the few young players they have.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Mavs2021 - 11-24-2022

(11-24-2022, 10:58 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: When have the Mavs ever accepted the reality of a transition year? If there isn´t a drastic change behind the scenes it is more likely that they will try to bring in past their prime veteran help instead of developing the few young players they have.

Honestly, if they were honest and capable talent evaluators, they´d get rid of every long-term contract they can and go full tank.

Look at all these other teams. It´s not only that they have so much more talent, they are also much YOUNGER. They have natural room to grow. Which Mavs player can realistically get better? Luka, Green and Hardy. That´s it. How are we supposed to catch up with them?

Right the mythical trades that we are winning.

The Mavs should just embrace it. Bring in any young center and let´s roll with....

Doncic
Hardy
Green
Wood
Bamba

Let Luka go for 60, 20/20/20, 5x5. Get Green 10 threes a game. Hardy 25 minutes. And see where it goes.

If we win 45 games, then at least you won it with a young core and if you win 28 games, lottery balls let´s go.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - DanSchwartzgan - 11-25-2022

(11-24-2022, 10:58 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: When have the Mavs ever accepted the reality of a transition year? If there isn´t a drastic change behind the scenes it is more likely that they will try to bring in past their prime veteran help instead of developing the few young players they have.

Transition year or not, he's not wrong about more Green and more Wood.  The starting lineup should be comprised of our best players with complimentary skills assuming there isn't something about the combination that isn't working.  

There are six Mav players with above average EPM's:  Luka, SD, Wood, Powell, Green and DFS.  Everyone else is in the 29th percentile or lower.  In terms of combo's, here are the best two man combo's that are +10 and have been used over 100 minutes:

Luka/Green  24.8
Wood/Green 18.7
THJ/Green 16.0
Maxi/Green  14.1
Maxi/Wood  14.0
DFS/Green  14.0
THJ/Wood  11.8
Wood/Luka  10.2

Notice anything...two of our top six players show up consistently.  Green shows up five times and Wood four times (Luka twice and DFS once).  Two below average players, Maxi and THJ, show up two times.  Either they are being dragged onto these lists by Green and Wood or there is something unique about the combination that works that doesn't work as well when THJ and Maxi play with other players.

Notice also that two of our top six EPM players, don't make this list at all...Powell and Dinwiddie.  They start to show up in the next tier of moderately positive net ratings of 1-10 still with minutes played above 100:

Powell/SD  8.5
Powell/Luka  7.3
Powell/RB  6.2
Maxi/Luka  3.9
Powell/DFS  3.7
THJ/Maxi 3.5
Green/SD 3.0
Green/RB 2.1

Starting to put this together, Luka/Wood/Green are the musts.  In fact, they are our top 3-man lineup at 35.3.  The next group of top 3-man lineups also support the idea of Luka/Wood/Green as the core.  They are:  THJ/Luka/Green, Wood/Maxi/Green, DFS/Luka/Green, THJ/Wood/Green and Wood/Maxi/Luka.  All combo's contain two from among Luka/Wood/Green.  The only other three man lineups with a net rating over 10 are THJ/Wood/Maxi and THJ/Maxi/Green

Next up, you have to figure out who else to add.  Seems to me that one spot goes to a big...either Powell or Maxi.  Powell is the higher EPM player and Maxi shows up more often in the most successful lineups.  Given what we saw in the playoffs, I think it has to be Maxi (Powell is Dinwiddie's best pairing, so that is the beginning of the bench unit).  

Finally we need another non-big.  Similar dilemma.  Dinwiddie shows up as our second best EPM player, but doesn't show up in hardly any of the top lineups.  Dinwiddie and Luka together are -7.7.  So, I think he's out.  THJ does show up in a lot of the top lineups.  In fact, our best four man lineup is THJ/Wood/Luka/Green.  But, THJ is playing like crap.  DFS is above average at EPM (and historically is in the 80's instead of the current mid-60's).  His four man combo with Luka/Wood/Green is also very good.  I think DFS gets the nod.  He's the better defender playing for a coach that values D.  Plus, with everything running through Luka and Wood, Hardaway's ability to create O is more valuable on the bench.  I also think THJ's selfishness would hold back the development of Green.

So, that is how I come up with Maxi/Wood/DFS/Green Luka as starters and Powell/THJ/RB/SD as the core of the bench.  I'd probably try to platoon these groups at 32 minutes and 16 minutes as best I could to let them get comfortable together.  I get that Maxi probably can't hold up to that.  Fine play him 24.  It gives you a few minutes with Wood at center and lets THJ and/or SD get their minutes in the 20's.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Branduil - 11-25-2022

I feel like this is as close to unanimous as this board gets that we should at least try Luka/Green/DFS/Maxi/Wood and see what happens.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - dirkfansince1998 - 11-25-2022

@"DanSchwartzgan". Agree with  everything you stated when it comes to the best possible lineup options but I wouldn´t be suprised if one (maybe even two) of your top 3 isn´t going to be on the roster after the allstar break. And we also have to consider potential side agendas...showcasing players for trades and other stuff.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Kammrath - 11-25-2022

(11-25-2022, 06:47 AM)Branduil Wrote: Luka/Green/DFS/Maxi/Wood

It's so obvious it is not even funny.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - ThisIStheYear - 11-25-2022

The idea of a “transition year” at the beginning of the second contract for one of the five or six greatest talents going back to the Kareem era is ludicrous. How about just getting some decision makers in here who re-sign their own near all star level player, don’t waste $30 million per year on THJ and Maxi (both of whom are cooked), and generally construct a team so that your one, big acquisition can actually get on the floor during meaningful parts of the game. I’m just seeing a lot of moves that aren’t working out.  It’s not a “transition” like we have some design to this mess.  It’s just a lot of front office failure.  Bob’s selection of Josh Green is looking pretty good by comparison.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - Hogmelon - 11-25-2022

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1596014455644880896

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-25-2022

(11-25-2022, 04:02 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Starting to put this together, Luka/Wood/Green are the musts.  In fact, they are our top 3-man lineup at 35.3.

This is the top 3-man lineup in the entire league.

This is a transition year as we wait for the Knicks pick to convey but this team has talent and Kidd has been fiddling with stuff to figure out what this board has been screaming about for weeks at the cost of 3 to 5 wins in my opinion.  Last year's squad had the issue of poor shooting and Covid at the start of the season and turned it around and this year squad is dealing with the same shooting woes but now it's paired with odd rotations.  Kidd's latest post game presser certainly points to Wood starting this weekend though.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 9th O | 9th D | 7th Net | 10th in West - mvossman - 11-25-2022

(11-25-2022, 04:02 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Transition year or not, he's not wrong about more Green and more Wood.  The starting lineup should be comprised of our best players with complimentary skills assuming there isn't something about the combination that isn't working.  

There are six Mav players with above average EPM's:  Luka, SD, Wood, Powell, Green and DFS.  Everyone else is in the 29th percentile or lower.  In terms of combo's, here are the best two man combo's that are +10 and have been used over 100 minutes:

Luka/Green  24.8
Wood/Green 18.7
THJ/Green 16.0
Maxi/Green  14.1
Maxi/Wood  14.0
DFS/Green  14.0
THJ/Wood  11.8
Wood/Luka  10.2

Notice anything...two of our top six players show up consistently.  Green shows up five times and Wood four times (Luka twice and DFS once).  Two below average players, Maxi and THJ, show up two times.  Either they are being dragged onto these lists by Green and Wood or there is something unique about the combination that works that doesn't work as well when THJ and Maxi play with other players.

Notice also that two of our top six EPM players, don't make this list at all...Powell and Dinwiddie.  They start to show up in the next tier of moderately positive net ratings of 1-10 still with minutes played above 100:

Powell/SD  8.5
Powell/Luka  7.3
Powell/RB  6.2
Maxi/Luka  3.9
Powell/DFS  3.7
THJ/Maxi 3.5
Green/SD 3.0
Green/RB 2.1

Starting to put this together, Luka/Wood/Green are the musts.  In fact, they are our top 3-man lineup at 35.3.  The next group of top 3-man lineups also support the idea of Luka/Wood/Green as the core.  They are:  THJ/Luka/Green, Wood/Maxi/Green, DFS/Luka/Green, THJ/Wood/Green and Wood/Maxi/Luka.  All combo's contain two from among Luka/Wood/Green.  The only other three man lineups with a net rating over 10 are THJ/Wood/Maxi and THJ/Maxi/Green

Next up, you have to figure out who else to add.  Seems to me that one spot goes to a big...either Powell or Maxi.  Powell is the higher EPM player and Maxi shows up more often in the most successful lineups.  Given what we saw in the playoffs, I think it has to be Maxi (Powell is Dinwiddie's best pairing, so that is the beginning of the bench unit).  

Finally we need another non-big.  Similar dilemma.  Dinwiddie shows up as our second best EPM player, but doesn't show up in hardly any of the top lineups.  Dinwiddie and Luka together are -7.7.  So, I think he's out.  THJ does show up in a lot of the top lineups.  In fact, our best four man lineup is THJ/Wood/Luka/Green.  But, THJ is playing like crap.  DFS is above average at EPM (and historically is in the 80's instead of the current mid-60's).  His four man combo with Luka/Wood/Green is also very good.  I think DFS gets the nod.  He's the better defender playing for a coach that values D.  Plus, with everything running through Luka and Wood, Hardaway's ability to create O is more valuable on the bench.  I also think THJ's selfishness would hold back the development of Green.

So, that is how I come up with Maxi/Wood/DFS/Green Luka as starters and Powell/THJ/RB/SD as the core of the bench.  I'd probably try to platoon these groups at 32 minutes and 16 minutes as best I could to let them get comfortable together.  I get that Maxi probably can't hold up to that.  Fine play him 24.  It gives you a few minutes with Wood at center and lets THJ and/or SD get their minutes in the 20's.

This is where I have landed as well.  The offense obviously revolves around Luka/Wood action, and you surround that with your best defensive players.  I think Dorian will look a lot better on defense with Green taking on the point of attack, and Maxi has shown the ability to help cover for Wood.

I also think Din makes the most sense as 6th man.  He obviously needs to run the offense when Luka is off the court, and I think he makes most sense playing with Luka to finish games when the opposing defense is most intense.  Powell has always been more effective against second units and Bullock needs to earn his minutes back.