MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - Smitty - 11-14-2022

(11-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Through 12 games....

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-14-7.50.21-AM.png]

• JG, DP, and Wood having the best on/off numbers so far is pretty intuitive, if you have been watching the games. And their offensive and defensive break out numbers make sense too.
  • THJ's defensive on/off is not intuitive and is probably the most shocking number on the whole team for me.
  • Luka's and Maxi's numbers make perfect sense.
  • It is shocking based on reputation, but RB and DFS having such huge negative defensive numbers matches the eye test so far.
  • SD's negative offensive number isn't that shocking when you realize he runs the offense when Luka sits, but it is shocking because the other bench guys that he runs with have good offensive numbers. 
  • McGee's negative numbers are not shocking at all.
All in all, these numbers align really well with the eye test through 12 games.

Based on my eye test:

THJ is shocking.
Wood needs more minutes and his defensive liabilities are greatly exaggerated on here.
Dinwiddie I thought would be flipped. (-13.3 def and -2.5 off).. He's been a traffic cone on defense.
And of course, McGee is literally the worst big in the league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - KillerLeft - 11-14-2022

(11-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: THJ's defensive on/off is not intuitive and is probably the most shocking number on the whole team for me.

Yeah, it doesn't really shock me. To my eyes he has been playing hard on defense this year, for the most part, and has been doing so against mostly bench players. 

As for the negatives from DFS/Bullock...that's not great. Gotta hope it's just some type of problem with the chemistry of the first unit, as in making up for Luka, Dinwiddie AND McGee (hopefully that's all past tense) has been too much, so far.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - dirkfansince1998 - 11-14-2022

(11-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: It is shocking based on reputation, but RB and DFS having such huge negative defensive numbers matches the eye test so far.
(11-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: THJ's defensive on/off is not intuitive and is probably the most shocking number on the whole team for me.

This goes hand in hand for me. THJ gets the benefit of more playing time with Green but in my opinion he has been clearly better than Bullock than defense. And that´s not about THJ being a good defender. Just shows how bad Bullock has been.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - mvossman - 11-14-2022

(11-14-2022, 08:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Through 12 games....

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-14-7.50.21-AM.png]

• JG, DP, and Wood having the best on/off numbers so far is pretty intuitive, if you have been watching the games. And their offensive and defensive break out numbers make sense too.
  • THJ's defensive on/off is not intuitive and is probably the most shocking number on the whole team for me.
  • Luka's and Maxi's numbers make perfect sense.
  • It is shocking based on reputation, but RB and DFS having such huge negative defensive numbers matches the eye test so far.
  • SD's negative offensive number isn't that shocking when you realize he runs the offense when Luka sits, but it is shocking because the other bench guys that he runs with have good offensive numbers. 
  • McGee's negative numbers are not shocking at all.
All in all, these numbers align really well with the eye test through 12 games.

Wow.  We see totally different things.  This chart does not look anything like who is playing well.

Luka has been the best player on the court by a mile.  Literally playing MVP level, and he is middle of the road?

Dinwiddie has been great so far.  His defense is not great, but you could say that about everyone not named Green.  He is at the bottom?

Timmy has reverted to inefficient chucking and lets not pretend his defense has good enough to make up for it.  He is ahead of Luka?

Bullock has been completely useless on both sides of the court and he is middle of the pack ahead of Din?

Green and Powell have played well in small sample as energy bench players, but the only thing this list really got right was putting McGee on the bottom.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - Kammrath - 11-14-2022

(11-14-2022, 11:50 AM)mvossman Wrote: Luka has been the best player on the court by a mile.  Literally playing MVP level, and he is middle of the road?

Dinwiddie has been great so far.  His defense is not great, but you could say that about everyone not named Green.  He is at the bottom?

Timmy has reverted to inefficient chucking and lets not pretend his defense has good enough to make up for it.  He is ahead of Luka?

Bullock has been completely useless on both sides of the court and he is middle of the pack ahead of Din?

Green and Powell have played well in small sample as energy bench players, but the only thing this list really got right was putting McGee on the bottom.

Luka has been a lazy disaster on defense, this totally affirms that.

SD has had great individual numbers, but the team is not succeeding with him and I have seen that for 12 games.

THJ is the one that isn't intuitive to me like I said.

JG and DP have been KEY to many victories this season. Without their work this team would be under 0.500.

(11-14-2022, 11:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka has been a lazy disaster on defense, this totally affirms that.

SD has had great individual numbers, but the team is not succeeding with him and I have seen that for 12 games.

THJ is the one that isn't intuitive to me like I said.

JG and DP have been KEY to many victories this season. Without their work this team would be under 0.500.

If you think Luka's defense has come anywhere near to cancelling out his MVP offensive performance then I don't know what to tell you.

It's very possible this team would be under 500 without JG and DP.  What would it be without Luka?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - HAguiar95 - 11-14-2022

12 games in here are my grades (1-10):

Doncic: 7,2 
Dinwiddie: 6,8
Wood: 6,5

These guys played better than expected and are clearly the three best players on the team.

Green: 5,5
Powell: 5,4

These guys are kind of what I expected them to be. Good energy and hustle out there, helping both O and D.

Hardaway: 4,9
Finney-Smith: 4,7
Kleber: 4,6

Guys playing worse than expected. Kleber and DFS are not hitting threes and their defense fell off. THJ is the same guy he's always been - chucker with little effort on D.

Bullock: 4,1
McGee: 3,9

These guys are playing very bad. They hurt our team when they are on the floor. Bullock has shown this in the past, but he's not getting a pass. Should be available come TDL.

Kidd so far is a 5,2. The average is 6,0

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - Chicagojk - 11-14-2022

https://twitter.com/andrewdbailey/status/1592290368489680897?s=46&t=iRk3K7Rhmav0P4JWHC2Nwg

This team is probably not a true contender as is at this point, but it would sure be nice to see the three at the bottom play like they did the second half if the year (maxi in the playoffs)

(11-14-2022, 06:30 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This team is probably not a true contender as is at this point, but it would sure be nice to see the three at the bottom play like they did the second half if the year (maxi in the playoffs)

If Kidd is going to ride DFS, RB, THJ, and Maxi the way he is and they don't play better, then this is going to be a long year. 

I am concerned that they are showing relatively permanent signs of regression. We will see.

(11-14-2022, 06:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If Kidd is going to ride DFS, RB, THJ, and Maxi the way he is and they don't play better, then this is going to be a long year. 

I am concerned that they are showing relatively permanent signs of regression. We will see.

The chance that 4 guys roughly 30 years old are all happening to be declining at the same time seems unlikely.  I think its more likely that the team is in a general overall funk that teams sometimes go through.

Besides, what choice does Kidd have?  Its not like there is other options other than playing Wood another 8 minutes a game.

(11-14-2022, 06:58 PM)mvossman Wrote: Besides, what choice does Kidd have?  Its not like there is other options other than playing Wood another 8 minutes a game.

JG should absolutely get more of DFS and RB's minutes. Wood should get more minutes like you said. I would also give FN a chance. Not like he is going to shoot the three worse than DFS and RB are right now. Also give Bertans a chance if he can get healthy.

(11-14-2022, 08:54 PM)Kammrath Wrote: JG should absolutely get more of DFS and RB's minutes. Wood should get more minutes like you said. I would also give FN a chance. Not like he is going to shoot the three worse than DFS and RB are right now. Also give Bertans a chance if he can get healthy.

Green's minutes have already been trending towards mid 20s.  I'm not sure he needs to be over exposed.  Somebody mentioned earlier not to change his role too soon, and I agree.  I'm not against Frank and Bertans getting a few minutes, but the reality is that if Dorian, Bullock, Maxi, and Timmy have all permanently regressed then we are screwed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - sterlingmallory - 11-14-2022

Anyone catch MacMahon on The Lowe Post today? Lots of very interesting Mavs talk. Here are some highlights.
  • MacMahon starts off with some pretty frank criticism of the offseason moves, some of which may sound like beating a dead horse around here but is still valid IMO.
  • MacMahon says the Mavs messed up the Brunson situation. Could have had him on an extension but they didn't offer it to him until after the trade deadline when he had already started playing so well that it was very clear he was going to be able to demand much more in the offseason. They were about a month and a half too late in offering the extension.
  • Lowe doesn't think Brunson's contract with the Knicks is all that bad and he wonders why they didn't just try to give that to him since the cap is going up anyway.
  • MacMahon says the Mavs didn't think the Knicks would be able to create so much cap space so easily as they did. Mavs figured the Knicks would at least have to give up a pick to them in order to create enough space to sign him. Oops.
  • MacMahon says he doesn't know for sure how much it would have taken to keep Brunson here but that the Mavs drew their line in the sand at about Fred Van Vleet money (maybe about 5/110). So that was that.
  • Mavs messed up the Goran Dragic situation. They didn't think Dragic could play even 20mpg here. They wanted him to fill the "Luka's buddy that never plays" role the Boban has had the last couple years and that Facu is filling now. Dragic didn't want that so he went to Chicago where he is playing very well.
  • MacMahon says McGee has been "a total bust". Not even better than Powell.
  • MacMahon doesn't expect any big moves this year because we need to hold onto our picks in order to make a big move for our version of the Jrue Holiday trade.
Then they move into some good talk about what they think the Mavs should do on the court this year to maximize what we currently have on the roster.
  • Lowe's suggestion is one he admits is pretty simple: We should probably try to get our 3 best offensive creators (Luka, Dinwiddie, and Wood) on the court together more often than we have. There might be defensive concerns, but we should just try it and see. Those three have only played 33 minutes together all season so far. How does the team look if we increase that a bit?
  • Lowe does concede that the Mavs are -12 with that trio so far but still thinks it's worth giving a little more time to.
  • MacMahon says Josh Green has taken a major step forward but is not a ball handler, he's a 3nD guy and a good one at that. I'm happy for Josh that he's getting recognition for his great play so far.
  • Lowe says Mavs are +13 per 100 possessions when Luka and Wood play together with Wood as the only big on the floor. But have only played 78 possessions together so far. Lowe says we should try to lean into more Wood, maybe at the 5, along with Luka and Dinwiddie and see what we have. If it sucks defensively then we can change it, but we need to at least try it out.
  • MacMahon doesn't think Wood in the starting lineup is going to happen.
  • Lowe points out that Luka, Maxi, and Wood play very well together. +34 in 104 minutes together.
That last stat really stands out to me. I think we should try a closing lineup of Luka, Dinwiddie, DFS, Maxi, and Wood. I think that would give us the best balance of offense and defense of any lineup we can put together.

Anyone have any other thoughts about the pod today?

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/1592257393479385088?s=20&t=S6Ymt4Hh5WuWSLDXXM78Iw

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - Chicagojk - 11-15-2022

(11-14-2022, 11:26 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Anyone catch MacMahon on The Lowe Post today? Lots of very interesting Mavs talk. Here are some highlights.
  • MacMahon starts off with some pretty frank criticism of the offseason moves, some of which may sound like beating a dead horse around here but is still valid IMO.
  • MacMahon says the Mavs messed up the Brunson situation. Could have had him on an extension but they didn't offer it to him until after the trade deadline when he had already started playing so well that it was very clear he was going to be able to demand much more in the offseason. They were about a month and a half too late in offering the extension.
  • Lowe doesn't think Brunson's contract with the Knicks is all that bad and he wonders why they didn't just try to give that to him since the cap is going up anyway.
  • MacMahon says the Mavs didn't think the Knicks would be able to create so much cap space so easily as they did. Mavs figured the Knicks would at least have to give up a pick to them in order to create enough space to sign him. Oops.
  • MacMahon says he doesn't know for sure how much it would have taken to keep Brunson here but that the Mavs drew their line in the sand at about Fred Van Vleet money (maybe about 5/110). So that was that.
  • Mavs messed up the Goran Dragic situation. They didn't think Dragic could play even 20mpg here. They wanted him to fill the "Luka's buddy that never plays" role the Boban has had the last couple years and that Facu is filling now. Dragic didn't want that so he went to Chicago where he is playing very well.
  • MacMahon says McGee has been "a total bust". Not even better than Powell.
  • MacMahon doesn't expect any big moves this year because we need to hold onto our picks in order to make a big move for our version of the Jrue Holiday trade.
Then they move into some good talk about what they think the Mavs should do on the court this year to maximize what we currently have on the roster.
  • Lowe's suggestion is one he admits is pretty simple: We should probably try to get our 3 best offensive creators (Luka, Dinwiddie, and Wood) on the court together more often than we have. There might be defensive concerns, but we should just try it and see. Those three have only played 33 minutes together all season so far. How does the team look if we increase that a bit?
  • Lowe does concede that the Mavs are -12 with that trio so far but still thinks it's worth giving a little more time to.
  • MacMahon says Josh Green has taken a major step forward but is not a ball handler, he's a 3nD guy and a good one at that. I'm happy for Josh that he's getting recognition for his great play so far.
  • Lowe says Mavs are +13 per 100 possessions when Luka and Wood play together with Wood as the only big on the floor. But have only played 78 possessions together so far. Lowe says we should try to lean into more Wood, maybe at the 5, along with Luka and Dinwiddie and see what we have. If it sucks defensively then we can change it, but we need to at least try it out.
  • MacMahon doesn't think Wood in the starting lineup is going to happen.
  • Lowe points out that Luka, Maxi, and Wood play very well together. +34 in 104 minutes together.
That last stat really stands out to me. I think we should try a closing lineup of Luka, Dinwiddie, DFS, Maxi, and Wood. I think that would give us the best balance of offense and defense of any lineup we can put together.

Anyone have any other thoughts about the pod today?

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/1592257393479385088?s=20&t=S6Ymt4Hh5WuWSLDXXM78Iw

Thanks for posting.  I have not listened to yet, but will try to in the next few days.  Some rough comments.   

I think there is real debate  if the Mavs are right long term if signing Jalen to 28-30 million was the right decision.   I would have signed him but I am open to the debate otherwise.  The miss for me is the team being short sighted last offseason.    I think that was an easy decision to sign him to the max that he could have received.  Others disagree, but I think that was a major blunder.   They took a bad playoff series where he hardly got any minutes to play through his mistakes and discounted what type of competitor he is, how hard he works and how good he was that season prior to the playoffs.

I also didn't understand not pursuing Dragic, but that one is a little more tricky.  First, I want Josh Green to get minutes.  Second, Hardaway needs minutes as well.   Hardaway is always going to be an awkward fit but the Mavs need to try their best to have him be productive on the court.   Adding Dragic to the mix gets real tricky.   Now it will probably blow up in the Mavs faces if either Luka or Dinwiddie miss 10+ games but trying to find 20 minutes a night for Dragic is much harder in reality.   

Whether Wood starts for me is not ultra important at this time.   I think long term we need to have a better starting option than Dwight for the playoffs.  But for now, I would like to see Wood near 30 minutes a night.  And when he is in the game, I want to run the offense through him for good stretches.   Sort of like what we did against Portland when he entered the game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - KillerLeft - 11-15-2022

(11-14-2022, 11:26 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Lowe says Mavs are +13 per 100 possessions when Luka and Wood play together with Wood as the only big on the floor. But have only played 78 possessions together so far. Lowe says we should try to lean into more Wood, maybe at the 5, along with Luka and Dinwiddie and see what we have. If it sucks defensively then we can change it, but we need to at least try it out.

Yep.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-15-2022

DFS and Bullock are clearly not playing hard imo.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - Kammrath - 11-15-2022

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1592601503705239552

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1592678217433116672

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1592679141648007168

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1592734622244163584