MavsBoard
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT (/showthread.php?tid=2172)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2nd O | 11th D | 5th Net | 5th in West - Kammrath - 11-10-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1590902022466768896

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2nd O | 11th D | 5th Net | 5th in West - Kammrath - 11-10-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1590897005022175232

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - DallasMaverick - 11-11-2022

We can argue about style, roster, etc., but it's about hitting shots.

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-different-metrics-correlate-with-winning-in-the-nba-over-30-years-57219d3d1c8

Mavs currently #18 in FG%, #19 in 3PFG%.

Per NBA stats, shooting percentage on wide-open shots (defender 6+ feet away):

DFS  35%
Bullock 28.9
THJ 34.4
Maxi 28.6
Dinwiddie 46.2
Luka 28
Wood 58.3
Green 58.3

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - KillerLeft - 11-11-2022

(11-11-2022, 08:07 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Mavs currently #18 in FG%, #19 in 3PFG%.

Per NBA stats, shooting percentage on wide-open shots (defender 6+ feet away):

DFS  35%
Bullock 28.9
THJ 34.4
Maxi 28.6
Dinwiddie 46.2
Luka 28
Wood 58.3
Green 58.3

Pretty much exactly how last season started. The sky was falling then, too. 

I'm not trying to dismiss the concerns because some of them are quite valid, but it's absolutely not going to be as bad as we might think after the last two games.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - RoyTarpleysGhost - 11-11-2022

Has anyone in Dallas media inquired about what’s going on with Bertans and Frank?

I don’t remember any report about how long they’re supposed be out. Just a tweet before every game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - BolsDamols - 11-11-2022

(11-11-2022, 09:32 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Has anyone in Dallas media inquired about what’s going on with Bertans and Frank?
Frank played vs Washington actually, missed a bunch of threes

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - MrGoat - 11-12-2022

Former Mav Eugene Omoruyi drops a career high and game high 22 to help OKC drop Toronto. Good for him

https://www.nba.com/game/tor-vs-okc-0022200179/box-score

RE: MAVS NEWS: 2nd O | 11th D | 5th Net | 5th in West - sefant - 11-12-2022

(11-10-2022, 08:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, there is so much subtle evidence around this team and Luka that points to them partying at times on the road before easier opponents in particular. I have said it for years, some of Luka's bad games have literally looked to me like he is hungover. I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like.

Like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PCFS-7FRUc

Quote:No one saw Spain winning Eurobasket, given all the injuries the team had to deal with. But still, the most dramatic moment of the tournament happened when Poland defeated Slovenia in the quarterfinals. There was a lot of speculation trying to explain the shocking defeat, and now a report came out telling a story that's starting to develop a pattern with Luka Doncic and the Slovenian national team.
A hungover defeat
Slovenia didn't just lose against Poland - they were demolished. Yes, there was a dramatic comeback in the fourth quarter, but their performance overall was appalling. 
Yet again, Luka Doncic spent more time arguing with refs than running back on defense and fouled out late in Q4 - one of his five fouls was a technical personal foul for complaining, which in Eurobasket, counts towards a player's overall foul count. A Bosnian basketball website, Bhbasket, reported a story that, if true, explains the poor performance from Luka & Co.

Our sources in Berlin revealed that the players on team Slovenia had a party to remember the night before their game with Poland. The boozing ended at 5 AM.

It was apparent the Slovenians didn't take Poland seriously enough, and it appears that attitude started long before tipoff. The most concerning part of this story for any fan of team Slovenia is that this isn't the first time Luka & Co. were acting like it was the offseason. 
The Balkan way
Flopping isn't the only thing Vlade Divac brought to the NBA. It wasn't technically chain-smoking, but if half the stories are true, Divac came as close to it as an athlete in the Association could - and he wasn't the only one. Just ask Jackie MacMullan about Dino Radja and his nicotine intake while with the Boston Celtics.
Cigarettes and alcohol are a large part of the culture in the Balkans, and athletes are no exception in that regard. While a beer or two on gameday is breaking news in the States, it wouldn't even make news back home. 

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - IamDougieFresh - 11-12-2022

Just checking to see if you guys who thought we would be ok with only 2 players who can dribble are ready to admit defeat yet.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - dynamicalVoid - 11-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 05:34 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Just checking to see if you guys who thought we would be ok with only 2 players who can dribble are ready to admit defeat yet.

It's a fine tuned machine built for playoff success, man.

Apparently you don't need basketball fundamentals anymore....you just hope your star doesn't get hurt during playoffs.   No need to be able to dribble or catch a pass or attack the rim...no need to have a back up offense in the case the star goes down.   All you have to do is Luka.   It's ingenious.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - Chicagojk - 11-12-2022

Different time.  But I think it is important to realize most males in their 20’s think they are invincible.  Sometimes it takes years to figure out that the .01 things to help your career add up.  Some never figure it out.  That doesn’t mean they should party or let off steam, but most players don’t enter the league with this mindset.  There is a story that Lebron changed after watching Kobe workout over an Olympics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/yt4tbk/dirk_said_he_changed_his_diet_from_burgers_pasta/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/1591401276956631042?s=46&t=Gi922lntO4EmOTopAQpRIw

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - dirkfansince1998 - 11-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 01:00 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Former Mav Eugene Omoruyi drops a career high and game high 22 to help OKC drop Toronto. Good for him

https://www.nba.com/game/tor-vs-okc-0022200179/box-score

Have been on the Omoruyi train since last years preseason. Giving up on him was a mistake but that´s nothing new. If the Mavs could evaluate talent they wouldn´t be the Mavs.

Fun stat. In total Omoruyi (43) has scored more points this season than McGee (42).  Omoruyi in 6 games / 69 minutes vs McGee in 10 games / 94 minutes.
One would have been available on a two-way deal. The other will make 17m over the next three seasons.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - ItsGoTime - 11-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 10:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have been on the Omoruyi train since last years preseason. Giving up on him was a mistake but that´s nothing new. If the Mavs could evaluate talent they wouldn´t be the Mavs.

Fun stat. In total Omoruyi (43) has scored more points this season than McGee (42).  Omoruyi in 6 games / 69 minutes vs McGee in 10 games / 94 minutes.
One would have been available on a two-way deal. The other will make 17m over the next three seasons.
I was on that train with you as soon as I saw he was a bigger player that had some handles. Before that I had the highest of hopes for him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - SleepingHero - 11-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 05:34 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Just checking to see if you guys who thought we would be ok with only 2 players who can dribble are ready to admit defeat yet.

I'm getting there. Although I did say repeatedly if the Mavs weren't able to secure a Dragic type player the offseason was a massive failure....

Still, I don't think things are as bad as they seem. Mavs need to hit shots full stop. They aren't going to win many games with DFS/Maxi/Bullock/THJ all sub 34%. 

They do need a trade for another ball handler though. Hopefully the Jazz keep ruining the tank and the Mavs can pry a Conley/Clarkson away for relatively cheap. Maybe DLo will be available for cheap since he's stinking it up in MIN.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-12-2022

I was definitely hoping for a third ball handler but this team definitely has 3 offensive guys who can get a bucket and a 4th one in Hardaway who thinks he can but is struggling mightily at it (which is a theme for his whole career minus some RC years unfortunately).

I'm with Kammarth, this team needs to embrace Wood and how he can transform our offense.  I'm still waiting for the inevitable of our crunch time offense being nothing more than Luka/Wood high PnR surrounded by shooters so we can stop watching iso ball fail down the stretch.  Kidd is making this way harder than it needs to be.

(I still strongly believe turning Hardaway minutes into someone who can be a third dribbler would greatly raise the ceiling of this team)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - Mavs2021 - 11-12-2022

(11-12-2022, 10:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have been on the Omoruyi train since last years preseason. Giving up on him was a mistake but that´s nothing new. If the Mavs could evaluate talent they wouldn´t be the Mavs.

You mean deciding roster spots based on who is a good cheerleader and has veteran leadership is not a good plan?   

The Suns replaced McGee with 27 year Aussie Jock Landale. He averages 8/5 in 16 minutes. Cry

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - Kammrath - 11-12-2022

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1591655152162840576

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - omahen - 11-12-2022

Mavs have a very, very tough schedule ahead. First a b2b against Clippers and Houston, followed by Denver 2x, Boston, Toronto, Milwaukee and GSW. East tour on the road.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 11th O | 9th D | 8th Net | 8th in West - Jym - 11-13-2022

Yeah we absolutely we miss Brunson being that consistent player towards the end of games. We could potentially be undefeated and well on our way to a #1 seed if he was still around even minus Wood.

But I don't think it would have greatly improved us if we switched out Green's minutes for someone like Dragic if that's what you mean by a 3rd ball handler

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th O | 9th D | 6th Net | 6th in West - Kammrath - 11-14-2022

Through 12 games....

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-14-7.50.21-AM.png]

• JG, DP, and Wood having the best on/off numbers so far is pretty intuitive, if you have been watching the games. And their offensive and defensive break out numbers make sense too.
  • THJ's defensive on/off is not intuitive and is probably the most shocking number on the whole team for me.
  • Luka's and Maxi's numbers make perfect sense.
  • It is shocking based on reputation, but RB and DFS having such huge negative defensive numbers matches the eye test so far.
  • SD's negative offensive number isn't that shocking when you realize he runs the offense when Luka sits, but it is shocking because the other bench guys that he runs with have good offensive numbers. 
  • McGee's negative numbers are not shocking at all.
All in all, these numbers align really well with the eye test through 12 games.