MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - ItsGoTime - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 06:14 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Since people always add 2nd rounders to our fantasy trades, I think it´s worth mentioning that we only have a total of two eligible 2nd rounders (2025/2027). All the others are gone already (2023/2024/2026/2028).
Correction, we have 27 and 29 SRPs. The 25 is tied up with the 23 FRP.

(01-20-2023, 06:46 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: We’ll get one back when the Knicks pick conveys and another after the draft too. So, we’ll have 4 of 7 in July
Yep, when we get 30’s compliment of picks we’ll have 25/27/29/30 unless we trade either of the 27 or 29 at the TDL.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - ItsGoTime - 01-20-2023

DFS/Bullock/Frank for Rose/Reddish/Toppin

Does that do anything for anyone? I’m not sure. I want to replace McGee and a SRP or 2 with Frank, but I don’t think NYK bite on that. Frank and Bullock are fan favs so there is incentive to bring them home.

Luka/SD/Green/Toppin/Wood
Rose/THJ/Reddish/Maxi/Powell

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Chicagojk - 01-20-2023

I just don't see much we can do at the trade deadline.   I would be all for the right move.   But no move is much better than no move even if the season stays like this for the rest of the year.   

The answer may be neither, but for me the decision is Wood or Dinwiddie long term.  I prefer Wood at the moment.   I just don't know if it is smart to pay both at or above 20 million per year (Din is a FA after next year), if both can't play with Luka and be an above average defense.    I am not sure putting Dinwiddie back as a 6th man would work.  That could probably cause problems.   

So, where does that leave us moving forward?   The glaring hole is a two way wing.   Lets call this player *Paul George* as an example.    If Dallas can find a wing who can defend and create than the rest of the roster starts fitting together.  The other two starters would need to be guys who can defend multiple positions, be hustle guys and can hit outside shots.  Dallas already has these types of players....although they may need to refresh some of these guys.  

That would leave us with a backup big and a backup creator.   Dallas was right at the price range and role for the McGee contract.  They just got the player evaluation totally wrong.   A third creator should also be someone you can find on a budget.  

So something like this
Luka
Josh Green
*Paul George*
DFS
Christian Wood

Maxi
Bullock
Jaden Hardy
*backup big*
*another creator*

My only concern is I am counting on Hardy and we are not sure how far along he is now.   So maybe that *another creator* needs to be a little higher tier because we are still limited with creators.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Nowitzki Way - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 09:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: So, where does that leave us moving forward?   The glaring hole is a two way wing.   Lets call this player *Paul George* as an example.    If Dallas can find a wing who can defend and create than the rest of the roster starts fitting together.  The other two starters would need to be guys who can defend multiple positions, be hustle guys and can hit outside shots.  Dallas already has these types of players....although they may need to refresh some of these guys.  

I see this roster and its needs pretty similarly to you. Although i think Dinwiddie is perfect for the 6th man spot. 

But how do we get *Paul George*. Those types are hard to find, and i'm not sure we have the ammo.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Chicagojk - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:06 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I see this roster and its needs pretty similarly to you. Although i think Dinwiddie is perfect for the 6th man spot. 

But how do we get *Paul George*. Those types are hard to find, and i'm not sure we have the ammo.

Yeah, I should have stressed that more.  One, they don't hit the market often.   Two, when they do it tends to be a competitive market for their services.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Nowitzki Way - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:17 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, I should have stressed that more.  One, they don't hit the market often.   Two, when they do it tends to be a competitive market for their services.

Very true. But equally true is the fact that *Paul George* is exactly what this roster needs to balance out. You need to copyright that one.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - JamesConway912 - 01-20-2023

How about we use the pick package and go after Brunson? Allstar PG who is a known quantity here on a cheap contract, the risk would be significantly lower than guys like Anunoby. We already know Brunson works alongside Luka, can OG do the same? I’d also much rather use all our picks for Brunson over someone like Siakam (often injured, almost 30, not an elite outside shooter)

I know how bad this would look but rationally I think it’s extre hard to get a better player than him for our picks.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 04:04 AM)omahen Wrote: I agree OG is not elite on offense. However, I think you are comparing an idea of what Green might become with what OG already is. OG is scoring over 17 ppg and is elite defender. Green is scoring 7 ppg and is not in elite defender conversations, although he might get there. He does not provide 80 % of what OG does. Perhaps in a couple of years. 

I would hate to include him in the deal, I agree with that. I would prefer giving up another pick instead.

Exactly.  That's a chasm of difference in their offensive games.  We need to only look at well balanced 3way players.

I would upgrade Green with OG.

Ultimately, Siakom is the ideal.  I would throw everything but Wood at him, including all picks.

Siakom, OG
for
Dinwiddie, DFS, Green, Hardy, 3FRPs

Point - Luka, Frank
Guard - THJ, Bullock
Forward - OG, Bertans
Forward - Siakom, Maxi
Center - Wood, Powell

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - DanSchwartzgan - 01-20-2023

The Athletic has a piece out today called their TDL Big Board.  25 names who are most likely to be moved.  No Dallas players are on the list.  Here they are in groups of five:

Turner, Collins, Bodganovic, Kuzma, Quickley
Poeltl, Trent, Clarkson, Vucevic, PJ Washington
LeVert, Hield, Olynyk, Beasley, Bey
Reid, Crowder, Conley, Burks, Oubre
Gordon, McDaniels (Cha), Rui, Grayson, Plumlee

They then go into a little about what each player brings to the table, their contract and what it might take to get them.  Occasionally they name a name of a team where the player might be a fit.  No Dallas mentions throughout the entire article.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - mvossman - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:40 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: How about we use the pick package and go after Brunson? Allstar PG who is a known quantity here on a cheap contract, the risk would be significantly lower than guys like Anunoby. We already know Brunson works alongside Luka, can OG do the same? I’d also much rather use all our picks for Brunson over someone like Siakam (often injured, almost 30, not an elite outside shooter)

I know how bad this would look but rationally I think it’s extre hard to get a better player than him for our picks.

Reasons why that would not make sense:

Brunson is more effective as the primary ball handler.  He was most effective for us when Luka was off the court and he is more effective for NY because he is always the primary ball handler.  It does not make sense for either team to make that trade given that fact.

There have been a lot of complaints regarding Dinwiddie, primarily his terrible defense, but also his ball stopping on offense.  Brunson has actually been worse on defense than Din this year, and he can also be a bit of a ball stopper.  I would also argue that Din does a better job pulling the trigger on catch and shoot 3s than Brunson did.

I'm not saying Brunson was a bad fit with Luka, but what this team really needs and what we need to pair with Luka is somebody who is really good at defense and can do more offensively than stand in a corner and shoot 3s.  Somebody like Anunoby makes so much sense next to Luka where he can compliment offensively while covering on the defensive end.  

New York went through a lot of trouble to land Brunson, from clearing a ton of cap to hiring his daddy to tampering.  On top of that, Brunson clearly would rather be there running the offense than playing second fiddle to Luka here.  I doubt there is interest with any of the three parties to make such a deal.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 11:49 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Exactly.  That's a chasm of difference in their offensive games.  We need to only look at well balanced 3way players.

I would upgrade Green with OG.

Ultimately, Siakom is the ideal.  I would throw everything but Wood at him, including all picks.

Siakom, OG
for

Point - Luka, Frank
Guard - THJ, Bullock
Forward - OG, Bertans
Forward - Siakom, Maxi
Center - Wood, Powell

This leaves us with one guard on roster without any real way of adding another one...

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - mvossman - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 02:17 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This leaves us with one guard on roster without any real way of adding another one...

Not to mention that is not nearly enough assets to land both Siakam and Anunoby.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 02:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: Not to mention that is not nearly enough assets to land both Siakam and Anunoby.

Or to mention that we don't even technically have all those assets currently.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 02:17 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This leaves us with one guard on roster without any real way of adding another one...

Just an outline.  All kinds of possibilities exist.  SG is the easiest position to fill.

(01-20-2023, 02:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: Not to mention that is not nearly enough assets to land both Siakam and Anunoby.

Siakom, OG
for

How much more over what I proposed is needed?

(01-20-2023, 02:36 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: All kinds of possibilities exist.  SG is the easiest position to fill.

Nothing is easy once you mortgage away your entire future leaving us with no assets.  I was speaking more to the fact that there is one ball handler without any real path to get another one.  Hardaway would be the last semi tradeable player you have after a move like that.

(01-20-2023, 02:42 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Nothing is easy once you mortgage away your entire future leaving us with no assets.  I was speaking more to the fact that there is one ball handler without any real path to get another one.  Hardaway would be the last semi tradeable player you have after a move like that.

To have Siakom and OG, I would gladly be in the situation you outline.  This is an insane starting lineup.  Dallas needs to become a FA destination.  That lineup would attract many free agents willing to sign for less.

Luka
THJ
OG
Siakom
Wood

Then something with NYK surrounding Bullock for Reddish/Quickly

Luka, Quickly
THJ, Frank
OG, Reddish
Siakom, Maxi
Wood, Powell

Shipped to Island of Misfit Toys: Bertans, McGee

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - SkenfromLMF - 01-20-2023

(01-20-2023, 02:36 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Just an outline.  All kinds of possibilities exist.  SG is the easiest position to fill.

Siakom, OG
for

How much more over what I proposed is needed?

I would think that package MIGHT net you Siakam (might even get to keep DFS) but the price on Anunoby is almost 75% of that package: DFS; 2 FR picks and 2 seconds.
Toronto SHOULD not want to do a package deal. Those are the best 2 assets they have and rebuilding around OG lessens the long-term impact of that.
Of course if a team is tearing it all the way down, they are more valuable in return separately than in a package.
The only way they should do a package is IF FVV is perceived as negative value and that can be diminished by packaging his contract with OG/Siakam and still getting the premium price.

That said, at this point IF Dallas could swing a deal that landed Siakam and FVV and added them to a team with Luka and C-Wood extended...

(01-20-2023, 03:07 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I would think that package MIGHT net you Siakam (might even get to keep DFS) but the price on Anunoby is almost 75% of that package: DFS; 2 FR picks and 2 seconds.
Toronto SHOULD not want to do a package deal. Those are the best 2 assets they have and rebuilding around OG lessens the long-term impact of that.
Of course if a team is tearing it all the way down, they are more valuable in return separately than in a package.
The only way they should do a package is IF FVV is perceived as negative value and that can be diminished by packaging his contract with OG/Siakam and still getting the premium price.

That said, at this point IF Dallas could swing a deal that landed Siakam and FVV and added them to a team with Luka and C-Wood extended...

Well said.  I'd take Siakam over a 75% deal for OG.  If it's just Siakam, I'd rather DFS/Powell/Hardy/3FRPs

I agree about VanVleet.  Adding VanVleet and Dinwiddie would be advantageous for TOR.

They’re asking for 2 young potential guys and a first for OG. I believe they would be asking for a Gobert return for Siakam. Young player(s) 3-4 FRPs 2-3 pick swaps. OG is basically a 3 FRP guy where Siakam is a 5 FRP guy, that’s 60% not 75%. Some of those FRPs can be in the form of FRP type potential in players, but that is the difference between an all NBA type player vs a young potential DPotY that has a good amount of offense to his game.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - cow - 01-20-2023

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1616469203954929664

We know Bucks wanted McGee.  Ibaka + Salary Match (Hill?) for McGee + SRP?