MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - Kammrath - 02-06-2022

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1490520753766289408

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - Jmaciscool - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 10:02 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1490520753766289408

Who could have predicted that roster wouldn't work???

(Answer: everyone but Rob Pelinka)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - sterlingmallory - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 10:08 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Who could have predicted that roster wouldn't work???

What's hilarious is they had a deal for Buddy Hield before they backed out and traded the same pieces for Westbrook instead. They literally went out of their way to destroy their team. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - cow - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 10:08 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Who could have predicted that roster wouldn't work???

And LeGM.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - Jmaciscool - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 10:12 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: What's hilarious is they had a deal for Buddy Hield before they backed out and traded the same pieces for Westbrook instead. They literally went out of their way to destroy their team. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Oh man, completely forgot about that. It's like the gift that keeps on giving!

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - SleepingHero - 02-06-2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9vnp93Xb8

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - SleepingHero - 02-07-2022

https://twitter.com/alexkennedynba/status/1490387163212562434?s=21

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - HoosierDaddyKid - 02-07-2022

(02-06-2022, 05:50 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´m not even sure, that he thought that Indiana was a talent downgrade overall. Sure they don´t have a Luka type player, but healthy and at full strength that was a very deep team with 5-6 players capable of putting up numbers on any given night.

I think Carlisle fancied himself far superior to Bjoerkgren, anticipated a healthy roster and an improve of 12-15 wins to enhance his reputation. Problem is that Bjoerkgren might have been an a**hole, but probably a pretty good basketball mind.

This is a indictment of Kevin Pritchard. He fired McMillan after he got the Pacers in the playoffs with injuries just because they were swept by the Hornets. McMillan goes to Atlanta and gets them to the ECF. Then he hires Bjoekgren who had clashes with his players, and lost the locker room in half a season. Carlisle was a safe hire, but as mentioned he probably didn't expect the season to go off the rails.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - DanSchwartzgan - 02-07-2022

Hardwood Knocks did a trade idea show yesterday.  They went two directions with Dallas.  

The first involved salary dumps for THJ (to provide room to retain Brunson and DFS).  One sent him to OKC along with Green/Future First for K Williams and M. Muscala.  The other sent THJ and similar assets to Orlando for G. Harris (expiring) and T. Ross.  One benefit would be Dallas would have a large expiring to flip this week (something that has proved important in the LeVert and N. Powell deals).   

The other direction was Brunson/Powell/Second for Smart and Bruno Fernando.

I'm not a fan of either.  I'm not sure how Cuban can look Luka in the eye and say he needed to pay Green and tie up firsts for the rest of the decade in a financial deal.  It is interesting that guys on a national level think this might be necessary.  Sad commentary on how we are viewed.  Ironically, Powell is the no-go for me in the proposed Smart deal.  First, you have to acknowledge (because people freak if you don't), that any JB deal is based on knowledge that he wants to leave.  But, as I look at the last month of games, Dallas has beaten the following teams with KP sitting:  DEN, GSW, CHI, MEM, PHI and ATL.  Powell started all of those games and was +15, +6, +16, +18, +9 and +3.  

Wait...what?  I thought Powell sucked.  Those numbers are stunning.  I'm not saying Powell won those games for us.  That honor belongs to our stars.  I am saying those games look very different without him and you don't make him a throw-in for salary matching purposes on a team where KP is your starting C.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - Kammrath - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 01:49 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/alexkennedynba/status/1490387163212562434?s=21

[Image: l2YWqU7ev0l5nfYTC.gif]

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - Kammrath - 02-07-2022

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1490655302307438593

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - Kammrath - 02-07-2022

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1490666851944341508

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - DanSchwartzgan - 02-07-2022

(02-06-2022, 08:21 PM)Dirknows Wrote: Like as in want to give Bagley away?

KP/Maxi/Sterling
for
Holmes/Barnes/Bagley

Holmes     Powell
Barnes      Bagley
DFS          Green
Brunson    Bullock
Luka

And then you flip Barnes to Atlanta for Collins.  Schwartz gets Barnes to a winning situation.  He gets Collins to Dallas and Dallas has to pay Bagley (another Schwartz client) in the off season.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - SleepingHero - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 08:48 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: And then you flip Barnes to Atlanta for Collins.  Schwartz gets Barnes to a winning situation.  He gets Collins to Dallas and Dallas has to pay Bagley (another Schwartz client) in the off season.

I LOVE this idea. Absolutely love it. The only wrinkle I'd try to add is to get Buddy as well. Mavs do need to replace THJ's scoring with someone more reliable. DFS played 41 minutes last night. 

As much as I love throwing Green into the fire, when it comes to the playoffs and that court shrinks, the Mavs are going to need more options on the court.

A 3-team trade with ATL and SAC might look something like:

SAC gets: KP+Gallo
ATL gets: Barnes+Maxi+Sterling
Mavs get: Holmes+Buddy+Collins

ATL sheds 10mil this year. Kings get Gallo's non-guaranteed deal and shed another 2 mil and they get another star for their collection of role players.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - Okstate819 - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 09:32 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I LOVE this idea. Absolutely love it. The only wrinkle I'd try to add is to get Buddy as well. Mavs do need to replace THJ's scoring with someone more reliable. DFS played 41 minutes last night. 

As much as I love throwing Green into the fire, when it comes to the playoffs and that court shrinks, the Mavs are going to need more options on the court.

A 3-team trade with ATL and SAC might look something like:

SAC gets: KP+Gallo
ATL gets: Barnes+Maxi+Sterling
Mavs get: Holmes+Buddy+Collins

ATL sheds 10mil this year. Kings get Gallo's non-guaranteed deal and shed another 2 mil and they get another star for their collection of role players.

Any idea that gives us a Collins+ Holmes frontcourt I'm in on. If in this scenario were assuming SAC actually wants KP you could also just simplify to this.

DAL gets - Holmes + Collins
ATL gets - Barnes
SAC gets - KP

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - ItsGoTime - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 09:53 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: Any idea that gives us a Collins+ Holmes frontcourt I'm in on. If in this scenario were assuming SAC actually wants KP you could also just simplify to this.

DAL gets - Holmes + Collins
ATL gets - Barnes
SAC gets - KP
I think Atl and Sac is a bit light with Dal getting the best part of the deal, but this is strong basis for framework if all teams are interested in the main pieces incoming. Also, we don’t need to replace THJ scoring and little defense, Bullock fills in for his minutes just fine now. Also love the idea of a frontcourt duo of Collins with either Holmes or Turner!

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - KillerLeft - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 10:00 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, we don’t need to replace THJ scoring...Bullock fills in for his minutes just fine now.

I'm THJ's biggest fan here, and I actually agree with this. 

THJ is superior (when playing well, which hasn't happened this year) at sprinting around off-ball screens to get shot attempts than Bullock, which is a very real, useful skillset, but that aspect of THJ's game does not seem to be valued or used much in this season's offensive approach. When it comes to simple relocation, catch and shoot, I think Bullock is easily a replacement for THJ. He might have an even faster release (if you can deal with that super odd motion he uses to get the ball to his shooting pocket). 

THJ was being asked to create off of the dribble more this season than Bullock, and while he was improving and having some success, it was nowhere near what I would consider indispensable for the offense, especially now that Brunson is in the starting lineup. 

I think it has been pretty clear that either Hardaway or Bullock is expendable for a while now, and with THJ's injury, I'd be trying to move Hardaway nonstop, from now until I could get it done.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - SleepingHero - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 10:00 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, we don’t need to replace THJ scoring and little defense, Bullock fills in for his minutes just fine now.

All I'm saying is there are going to be nights when Bullock can't hit anything. Same with DFS. On those nights we had THJ to maybe hopefully catch fire. Now the next guy up is Green/Franky. I don't think those are reliable 3rd options. 

That's why a guy like Hield would do wonders here. I'll never stop saying he's a better shooter than Seth and we saw the gravity that Seth had when playing next to Luka. Having 2 elite 3pt shooters on the court makes this team incredibly lethal.

We also have to take into account minute allocation. Since Timmy went down DFS is averaging 37mpg. Bullock 33. I'm actually fine with Bullock getting the extra minutes but DFS is getting a few too many for February imo.  Hield also solves that.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - ItsGoTime - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 10:21 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: All I'm saying is there are going to be nights when Bullock can't hit anything. Same with DFS. On those nights we had THJ to maybe hopefully catch fire. Now the next guy up is Green/Franky. I don't think those are reliable 3rd options. 

That's why a guy like Hield would do wonders here. I'll never stop saying he's a better shooter than Seth and we saw the gravity that Seth had when playing next to Luka. Having 2 elite 3pt shooters on the court makes this team incredibly lethal.

We also have to take into account minute allocation. Since Timmy went down DFS is averaging 37mpg. Bullock 33. I'm actually fine with Bullock getting the extra minutes but DFS is getting a few too many for February imo.  Hield also solves that.
Still don’t agree. Collins health reliability more than makes up for KP’s scoring. JB has stepped up his scoring. We would get more reliable scoring from the Powell spot with Holmes getting more minutes there. We might not have to lose Maxi (I think Green is a bit more of a sweetener in this trade than Maxi is), which helps 3 scoring from the bench along with Bullock. The 8 man playoff rotation would look like this:

Ball handlers: JB/Luka/(hopefully) Dragic (if not then we rely on the 2, or pick someone up with the TPE)
Wings: DFS/Bullock
Big wings: Collins/Maxi
Big: Holmes

Collins isn’t afraid to put the ball on the floor, so there is at least some crossover with him being a ball handler and big wing. Luka also fits in the wing/big wing descriptions in some lineups. Biggest issue is finding the right guy fir that 3rd ball handler spot. Ntilikina might be able to be that guy, but he has had so little burn this year, I’m not sure Kidd would do that as opposed to adding someone like Sterling or Green (or…gulp…Burke) in that spot.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm |Stein: Collins not likely to be moved - Tyler - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 07:34 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is interesting that guys on a national level think this might be necessary.  Sad commentary on how we are viewed.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into spitballed trade ideas especially around the deadline. How it usually works goes something like this:

1. Jalen Brunson could be traded to your favorite team because (checks notes) Dallas may not want to pay the luxury tax! Click this series of 10 ad-laden links for trade possibilities.

2. I see there are rumors about Dallas wanting to avoid the luxury tax. Here are three possible trades where they can desperately shed salary to afford to keep their good players. Will Luka like it, though?

3. Cuban leaves a message with both reporters saying that he's paid the tax before and will do it again to field a good team. They immediately delete it and pretend it never happened. Bad for business.