MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - SleepingHero - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 11:46 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Would be interesting to see a list of teams that have never signed a Rich Paul client.

I'm convinced that Rich Paul and Klutch Sports are on a track of being blackballed by the NBA. They strong arm teams and burn bridges seemingly almost every season. How many times before the owners (ya know the guys writing the checks), snap back in the CBA? 

Adding on the Nerlens Noel lawsuit that apparently he has a good shot at winning, I think the NBA would be delighted to get rid of Klutch Sports.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - F Gump - 02-06-2022

(02-05-2022, 08:36 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: KP, Moses Brown for Goran Dragic and Gary Trent Jr.

No. Yuck no.

Rest assured the Mavs are not going to use assets to bring GD to Dallas via trade. Nor use any asset other than cash to get him.

It's fairly certain no one is, with that salary.

If they are to move him at all, TOR will have to find a swap to use him in a trade as merely salary filler to make the salary-match work. (But I'm not convinced Masai will find a trade like that, unless he will let go of a player like Barnes or OG.) Mavs will wait to see if GD gets bought out, and if he does, then try to sign him for the minimum.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - DanSchwartzgan - 02-06-2022

(02-05-2022, 10:21 PM)mvossman Wrote: My god did Toronto call that one right with the Powell trade to Portland.  Portland already dumped Powell and Trent is having a career year on a smaller contract.  I have no interest in trading with Toronto.  Fairly sure they will come out ahead.

One of the podcasts I listen to had a female reporter from Portland on after the Powell/Trent trade last year.  She indicated the deal was agent driven because Klutch wanted Trent in Toronto.  She said it like it was common knowledge.  

Obviously, an agent can’t make a team trade a player.  But, they can indicate how challenging or difficult they plan to make things.

Toronto’s pro scouting department has to be given some credit here.  They projected Trent’s fit and potential for improvement (his career year isn’t that dramatic of a shift really).  Around here we often are eager to credit our local hero’s with the ability to continue to grow their games while presuming there is no way Obi Toppin or other young players on other teams can ever be more than they are right now.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - RedFlag41 - 02-06-2022

F Gump, Yuck. Goran Dragic is not the main target. Obviously, you also get Gary Trent Jr who fits what the Mavs need.

Also, obviously, Dragic's contract is used exactly as salary matching here.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - RedFlag41 - 02-06-2022

And, obviously, you will not get CJ McCollum and Gobert for THJ and KP. That is more unreasonbale than the hope of trading Ben Simmons for James Harden. That will never happen.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - hakeemfaan - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 08:38 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: And, obviously, you will not get CJ McCollum and Gobert for THJ and KP. That is more unreasonbale than the hope of trading Ben Simmons for James Harden. That will never happen.

I don’t want CJ for KP even with all of KPs injuries.  KP for Gobert.  Yes. 

We sometimes underestimate our own too because we see the flaws on a daily basis. A healthy KP certainly gives Utah a different dimension than a style of play that seems to not work beyond a certain point in the playoffs. Gobert has been benched or rendered ineffective as series have gone on. How many teams really want him? Will they not have the same issues with him as the team goes deeper into the playoffs?

I initially wanted Gobert here to change the culture and mindset of this team. However lately our defense, despite breakdowns against OKC and Orl, has been making progress. Kidd is committed to it. While I am ok with a Gobert for KP trade, a tougher two way player, albeit a lesser defensive player than Gober,  like a Morris or a Rachaun, fits most teams better these days. I don’t think we need to overvalue Gobert.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - SleepingHero - 02-06-2022

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1490324407369093122

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - omahen - 02-06-2022

Lots of info inside. Mavs after Collins and Siakam, but likely don't have the assets. 

NBA Trade Rumors: James Harden and Ben Simmons Scenarios, Hawks Indecision, More Deadline Intel (actionnetwork.com)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - SleepingHero - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 11:42 AM)omahen Wrote: Lots of info inside. Mavs after Collins and Siakam, but likely don't have the assets

Brunson (as the main piece going somewhere) for Collins, KP for Siakam? 

That's really the only way that makes sense to me. I don't think either of them are worth multiple firsts that both of their teams are likely going to command.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - omahen - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 11:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brunson (as the main piece going somewhere) for Collins, KP for Siakam? 

Sorry for not clear enough sentence. They are not aiming to sign both, one of them.

And they want to keep Brunson.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - burekemde - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 10:27 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: We sometimes underestimate our own too because we see the flaws on a daily basis.

Amazing point. And it's a super dangerous thing. Too much focus on the few negatives, and too little on the positives and potential.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - ItsGoTime - 02-06-2022

I think Siakam is a slightly better on court player to KP and more healthy. I don’t think TOR wants KP but KP and a couple seconds for Siakam is fair value. Esp considering Siakam came out last year saying he wanted out of TOR.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - burekemde - 02-06-2022

Brunson to keep, for sure, can't let him go anywhere the way he plays alongside Luka.

Move KP and THJ for Sabonis. This adds a third player that fits Luka and Brunson.

Then build the rest of the team around those 3 stars. DFS, Maxi are great fits along the 3 with value to keep.

Rest of the pieces need to come via free agency and draft. But with the 3 above, we don't need major pieces IMO to go all the way. Some smart smaller decisions and that's it.

Mavs don't need any trade, if they can sign cut Dragic and Young

RealGM on Twitter: "Trade Market Has Been Quiet For Thaddeus Young https://t.co/ifIssapuxm" / Twitter

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - mvossman - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 10:27 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I don’t want CJ for KP even with all of KPs injuries.  KP for Gobert.  Yes. 

We sometimes underestimate our own too because we see the flaws on a daily basis. A healthy KP certainly gives Utah a different dimension than a style of play that seems to not work beyond a certain point in the playoffs. Gobert has been benched or rendered ineffective as series have gone on. How many teams really want him? Will they not have the same issues with him as the team goes deeper into the playoffs?

I initially wanted Gobert here to change the culture and mindset of this team. However lately our defense, despite breakdowns against OKC and Orl, has been making progress. Kidd is committed to it. While I am ok with a Gobert for KP trade, a tougher two way player, albeit a lesser defensive player than Gober,  like a Morris or a Rachaun, fits most teams better these days. I don’t think we need to overvalue Gobert.

I really like Holmes, but he is not in the same ballpark as Gobert.  Your comment suggest Gobert is not a two way player?  You realize he scores more points at a higher efficiency than Holmes?  I think folks really underestimate his impact on the court.  I hope that includes his trade market, but I doubt it.  It will take more than KP to get him.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - mvossman - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 12:02 PM)burekemde Wrote: Brunson to keep, for sure, can't let him go anywhere the way he plays alongside Luka.

Move KP and THJ for Sabonis. This adds a third player that fits Luka and Brunson.

Then build the rest of the team around those 3 stars. DFS, Maxi are great fits along the 3 with value to keep.

Rest of the pieces need to come via free agency and draft. But with the 3 above, we don't need major pieces IMO to go all the way. Some smart smaller decisions and that's it.

KP and THJ are not near enough for Sabonis.  Indy does not want KP (see Rick) and THJ is probably a negative asset while injured.  We don't have the assets for this unless you send Brunson to NY to get access to our picks.

(02-06-2022, 12:12 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs don't need any trade, if they can sign cut Dragic and Young

RealGM on Twitter: "Trade Market Has Been Quiet For Thaddeus Young https://t.co/ifIssapuxm" / Twitter

I have heard a couple of folks talk about him.  He seems to have really fallen off the cliff this year and in his mid 30s.  I'm a little curious what he would provide at this point?

(02-06-2022, 12:45 PM)mvossman Wrote: I have heard a couple of folks talk about him.  He seems to have really fallen off the cliff this year and in his mid 30s.  I'm a little curious what he would provide at this point?

I am not sure he fell of the cliff. San Antonio is simply not playing him, because they are developing their youngsters. He is an excellent distributor from top of the key - short roll Dallas lacks when Luka is doubled. Plays defense, can hit an open three. Maxi and him could split the PF minutes and we would have an ok option on at all times.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - chaparral - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 07:59 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Around here we often are eager to credit our local hero’s with the ability to continue to grow their games while presuming there is no way Obi Toppin or other young players on other teams can ever be more than they are right now.

Around here, we're carving out our names
Around here, we all look the same
Around here, we talk like lions, but we sacrifice like lambs

Around here, Mavs are always on our mine
Around here, hay man, got lots of time

Around here, something radiates

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | Gobert+Mitchell "at each others throats" - hakeemfaan - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 12:20 PM)mvossman Wrote: I really like Holmes, but he is not in the same ballpark as Gobert.  Your comment suggest Gobert is not a two way player?  You realize he scores more points at a higher efficiency than Holmes?  I think folks really underestimate his impact on the court.  I hope that includes his trade market, but I doubt it.  It will take more than KP to get him.

I was just throwing an example out there of the type of player who can switch effectively on the perimeter as well when teams go small. A 6’9” , 6’10” guy who won’t be rendered ineffective as Gobert has been. 

Are you countering that is not the case that coaches have found a way to take Gobert out in the playoffs as a series has gone along? I would also do a KP for Gobert swap only because KP is so fragile. Else not overvaluing a player in Gobert who even if healthy will ride the pine in the playoffs if the team goes deeper.