MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Davemo - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 10:24 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Here is the problem with trading Brunson:

He has improved statistically every year so for anyone to say he cannot be this or he is this is ignoring those important points. Why do I bring those points up, he has not reached his ceiling yet and I have said from Day 1 he is approaching the path of possibly being Kyle Lowery who was better after 28 than he was before age 28. 

I WOUD NOT TRADE JALEN BRUNSON

The Mavericks need to figure out how to improve but add to their core and Brunson is a part of that core. I also see DFS as a part of that core but I do not view him as a starter. Remember the Warriors had Iggy coming off the bench when they were a championship squad. DFS is our version of a young Iggy in terms of what he brings to the table. 

The guy that needs to go is KP and we need better pieces and more veteran leadership. It would also not hurt to keep our draft pick in 2022 and move up and get another critical piece. This is a pretty legit draft IMO. BTW my issues with KP are health not talent. You cannot win and be a legit contender when your 2nd or 3rd best player is in street clothes when you need him. That has been the case every year with KP since he has been a Mav.
Good post and a lot of good points!  I am willing to gamble on Brunson continuing on an upward trajectory.  The guy is a worker and adds to his game every year.  When you look at the numbers, they do not show vast improvement with the increase in minutes...…but it is clear when watching him that he has added to his game.   That being said, all of your points are a MAJOR reason you absolutely, positively, cannot lose him for nothing.  I have my doubts as to if he wants to be here.  The latest rumblings of him staying a Mav could easily be a smokescreen to keep his trade value high.  He is an East coast guy, and so is his Dad.  NY is still a very attractive place to play and they seem to be making better moves lately (sorta, maybe...who knows). I hope I am wrong on this, because most of the trades proposed for JB are not that intriguing.   

Agree, if we make a major move.....it should be KP and/or THJ going out.  I would also be willing to move Maxi, Bullock, Green, and Powell.  You gotta give something to get something.  Luka is untouchable and I prefer to keep DFS.  The rest are fillers in so far as trades go.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - burekemde - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 11:06 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This 100%. That's why I think that 3-team trade I proposed with Charlotte and IND is best for everyone involved.

DAL: Sabonis+bad contract into the TPE (I chose Lamb)
CHA: KP+Maxi
IND: Hayward+Bouknight+1st from DAL+1st from CHA

Mavs essentially swap out KP for Sabonis and pay only a 1st for him. Losing Maxi hurts but again he's not irreplaceable.

Fantastic deal. Luka, Sabonis, Jalen on same team, would make it the greatest show on a basketball court. I see a link between the three and an incredible fit. Sabonis is the real glue that truly links even better Luka's and Jalen's game. It hurts losing Maxi. If it could be THJ it would be amazing. If not, I would prefer losing DFS over Maxi, since Sabonis is best to be paired with a big that can move and protect rim. Sabonis/Maxi tandem inside would work well.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - cow - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 11:06 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: This 100%. That's why I think that 3-team trade I proposed with Charlotte and IND is best for everyone involved.

Mavs essentially swap out KP for Sabonis and pay only a 1st for him. Losing Maxi hurts but again he's not irreplaceable.

I just come back to the same question as that purposed 76ers/Atlanta trade. In that instance, why wouldn't the 76ers just prefer Collins over KP and cut us out of the deal?  And in this instance, why wouldn't the Hornets just prefer Sabonis and cut us out of the deal?  Those teams might need to pony up more draft assets, but I know what my preference would be.  

Maybe I'm clouded by how low I am on KP, but I don't care how well he's played this year, which I think we overrate, I wouldn't want his salary on my books given how many games he misses.  We are probably looking at pennies on the dollar or equally unattractive players/deals (i.e. Wall) if we want a big name back.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Omega_Supreme - 02-04-2022

That is a great deal, the only issue I see is the whole it leaves at center. If we can find a way to get a Mo Bamba or another big or two then we are cooking with hot grease.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - mvossman - 02-04-2022

I seriously doubt KP is enough to get Sabonis, and its hard to imagine a team starting Sabonis, Luka and Brunson being even average on defense, especially in a playoff situation.  And for a team whos biggest hole is at the 4 spot, sending Maxi out for Lamb is not going to help.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Omega_Supreme - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 01:35 PM)Davemo Wrote: Good post and a lot of good points!  I am willing to gamble on Brunson continuing on an upward trajectory.  The guy is a worker and adds to his game every year.  When you look at the numbers, they do not show vast improvement with the increase in minutes...…but it is clear when watching him that he has added to his game.   That being said, all of your points are a MAJOR reason you absolutely, positively, cannot lose him for nothing.  I have my doubts as to if he wants to be here.  The latest rumblings of him staying a Mav could easily be a smokescreen to keep his trade value high.  He is an East coast guy, and so is his Dad.  NY is still a very attractive place to play and they seem to be making better moves lately (sorta, maybe...who knows). I hope I am wrong on this, because most of the trades proposed for JB are not that intriguing.   

Agree, if we make a major move.....it should be KP and/or THJ going out.  I would also be willing to move Maxi, Bullock, Green, and Powell.  You gotta give something to get something.  Luka is untouchable and I prefer to keep DFS.  The rest are fillers in so far as trades go.

Oh no doubt I agree but if I am moving him I need a return that brings back someone that can generate buckets and fill the void of being a off court Luka creator.

NYC would have to send me:

Knicks Receive: 
Jalen Brunson
Moses Brown 
Maxi Kleber 

Mavericks Receive: 
Obi Toppin
Immanuel Quickley 
Mitchell Robinson
Mavericks 1st Returned

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - aguiar95 - 02-04-2022

I think CHA just cuts DAL and gets Sabonis, right?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Dirknows - 02-04-2022

Clippers traded Bledsoe, Justise Winslow, Keon Johnson and a 2025 second to Portland for RoCo and Norman Powell.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - VintagePejav2 - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 02:33 PM)Dirknows Wrote: Clippers traded Bledsoe, Justise Winslow, Keon Johnson and a 2025 second to Portland for RoCo and Norman Powell.

Robbery for LA. Wtf.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - omahen - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 02:44 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Robbery for LA. Wtf.

Agree. Good teams always pull something off. They got two best players in the deal for one young player and a SRP

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - omahen - 02-04-2022

Mavs equivalent would be something in the line of Powell, Bullock, Green and SRP. Would you do it? Powell is not something we need and probably a negative contract. Great summer Portland had Smile

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - SatnamSingh - 02-04-2022

[Stein] Interest in the Mavericks available players beyond Brunson and Finney-Smith remains, to put it charitably, modest. 

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Dirknows - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 02:44 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Robbery for LA. Wtf.

Norman Powell is on a 5/90 contract. I assume that’s why it took so little from them.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - SatnamSingh - 02-04-2022

Portland just dumped Powell.  Mavs stuck with THJ.

Meanwhile, Masai sitting up in Toronto with 23 year old Gary Trent Jr playing like a borderline all-star in the new year.  Good front offices matter.

Good news is, that now that THJ and stuff for McCullom trade does make some sense for Portland Smile

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - VintagePejav2 - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 02:51 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: [Stein] Interest in the Mavericks available players beyond Brunson and Finney-Smith remains, to put it charitably, modest. 

So.. after Mark gave KP and THJ all of that money, he’s determined that the real “core” around Luka is actually Brunson and Dorian, the two that have yet to be paid? Lol, genius.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Mavs2021 - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 03:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Good news is, that now that THJ and stuff for McCullom trade does make some sense for Portland Smile

You mean now that they dumped Powell´s 90/5 deal, they can´t wait to add useless long-term money again via THJ. Big Grin

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Chicagojk - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 02:51 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: [Stein] Interest in the Mavericks available players beyond Brunson and Finney-Smith remains, to put it charitably, modest. 

Not surprising.  I never thought Dwight Powell had trade value.  In fact, I am calling it now.  Dwight will resign here once his contract is up.   Hopefully for 5 millionish.

Maxi has more value to us than to the market, but I could see him moved in a sneaky deal.  The problem is we really need a better Maxi to pair with the real Maxi.  Tough to find a trade where you trade Maxi and  upgrade to a better Maxi.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - cow - 02-04-2022

(02-04-2022, 03:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not surprising.  I never thought Dwight Powell had trade value.  In fact, I am calling it now.  Dwight will resign here once his contract is up.   Hopefully for 5 millionish.

Maxi has more value to us than to the market, but I could see him moved in a sneaky deal.  The problem is we really need a better Maxi to pair with the real Maxi.  Tough to find a trade where you trade Maxi and  upgrade to a better Maxi.

If Dwight gets anymore than a veteran minimum, MBT have learned absolutely nothing.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - JamesConway - 02-04-2022

No surprise, been that way for years. But it also remains an extremely depressing outlook.

They really nailed the Luka-pick only to screw up everything else that came later on. Still baffles me at least a few times every week.