MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - mvossman - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 08:11 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: How about Kristaps Porzingis and Moses Brown to the Portland Trailblazers for Norman Powell and Robert Covington?

The Blazers may need a shake up of their roster and may explore putting a shooting big man next to Lillard and McCollum. I heard that they are shopping both Covington and Powell. KP is still an all star caliber talent when healthy. This will also solve the log jam at the guard position for them. Moses is a young project who they can try to develop.

For the Mavs, Powell can be the offensive fire power off the bench who will not be a liability on defense. And, of course, Covington is a 3 and D guy at the 4 spot to further more shore up the defense.

The Mavs can have a starting line up of:

Luka, JB, DFS, RoCo, Maxi

A bunch of 3 and D players surrounding the shot-creation of Luka and JB.

Off the bench, Powell will provide the scoring fire power to sustain the offense.

I think that is a fair trade for both teams.

I'm not sure Norman Powell is any better at defense than THJ.  He is not that different a player on a similar contract (which most folks want to dump).  And Covington is an aging expiring contract.  That is a meager return for KP.  I don't see any way the Mavs pull that trigger.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - DanSchwartzgan - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 07:43 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: First of all. Hell no. Secondly. It would be nice if media guys would at least put some kind of effort into this. As of now the the proposed trade isn´t even legal.

Mark's isn't exactly some media hack.  It is kind of interesting to get an independent valuation.  I've heard more than one person talk about how DFS would be valued in Atlanta (probably the most valuable part of what is proposed given Atlanta's D).  

For me, if it is two picks, DFS isn't part of the deal.   Reggie and Maxi and two picks...sure.  There are iterations of DFS for Collins that I would do, but those tend to include THJ and I can't talk myself into the Atlanta side of those deals.  Maybe THJ, DFS and Maxi for Collins and Bogdanovic.

(02-02-2022, 07:57 PM)omahen Wrote: It would be really necessary to move THJ for defensive minded 3-d wing. 

On the other hand, Luka-Brunson-Collins and KP is an interesting core. Collins would vastly increase our ceiling. A contender shouldn't have problem finding useful reserves on PF spot. The big question would be that SF spot.

Josh Green plays some D and that is what that group would need.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - SleepingHero - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 07:36 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Scroll over to the third one.  Bobby Marks made some trades for each team and this was his for the Mavs.   Not reporting anything but just putting trades together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZfnrRGuZLz/

Dallas gets Johns Collins
ATL gets DFS, Maxi, Bullock and 25 and 27 first round picks.

Bobby is definitely smoking something if he thinks the Mavs give up 3 of our 7 man rotation PLUS 2 first round picks (1 of which I'm pretty sure we can't even trade) for John Collins. 

And like df1998 said, it's not even legal. Sheesh ESPN is truly run by 16 year old kids who live in a basement.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - RedFlag41 - 02-02-2022

I agree that is a meager return for KP. But, everyone seems to be low on KP right now. His salary is viewed as negative by almost everyone despite his bball talent. So, this trade ends the KP era in Dallas. May be Portland may add a FRP for KP to make it more palatable.

Well, you are looking for a THJ replacement right now. Powell may be the one. I think Powell in the right system and motivation can be not a a liability on the defensive side of the game. I have faith in the coaching staff to makee that happen. Covington is more of rental in that fantasy scenario who can help them in the playoffs. His age and recent play is what makes him more getable. Same is with Powell.

But, of course, I would love for tue Mavs to get someone vetter for KP if they ever decide to trade him away.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - mvossman - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 08:35 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I agree that is a meager return for KP. But, everyone seems to be low on KP right now. His salary is viewed as negative by almost everyone despite his bball talent. So, this trade ends the KP era in Dallas. May be Portland may add a FRP for KP to make it more palatable.

Well, you are looking for a THJ replacement right now. Powell may be the one. I think Powell in the right system and motivation can  be not a a liability on the defensive side of the game. I have faith in the coaching staff to makee that happen. Covington is more of rental in that fantasy scenario who can help them in the playoffs. His age and recent play is what makes him more getable. Same is with Powell.

But, of course, I would love for tue Mavs to get someone vetter for KP if they ever decide to trade him away.

If we are looking to replace THJ, it would only be for this year.  We don't need to have two of them (including contracts) for the next couple of years.

I don't know what KP value is, but its probably as high as its been at least since the bubble.  That package is roughly equivalent to an uninjured THJ and Maxi.  If that is the return, then we might as well throw the dice with KP health.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - Okstate819 - 02-02-2022

The most concerning aspect of the last two games is Brunson’s inability to help vs length when Luka desperately needs someone else to step up. It’s a concern that will only be exasperated in the playoffs as we saw last year vs Batum. If you can use Brunson to get a long term starter such as Collins or Grant, do it yesterday.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - RedFlag41 - 02-02-2022

Mvossman, the Mavs can offload THJ in the summer when he is healthy. I do not think THJ will be traded before the deadline because of his injury.

The primary concern with KP is his availability. Replacing him with capable rotation players who will be available is a fair trade I think. The Blazers will alsp be rolling the dice with KP if they trade for him because of his health concerns.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - HoosierDaddyKid - 02-03-2022

(02-02-2022, 08:11 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: How about Kristaps Porzingis and Moses Brown to the Portland Trailblazers for Norman Powell and Robert Covington?

The Blazers may need a shake up of their roster and may explore putting a shooting big man next to Lillard and McCollum. I heard that they are shopping both Covington and Powell. KP is still an all star caliber talent when healthy. This will also solve the log jam at the guard position for them. Moses is a young project who they can try to develop.

For the Mavs, Powell can be the offensive fire power off the bench who will not be a liability on defense. And, of course, Covington is a 3 and D guy at the 4 spot to further more shore up the defense.

The Mavs can have a starting line up of:

Luka, JB, DFS, RoCo, Maxi

A bunch of 3 and D players surrounding the shot-creation of Luka and JB.

Off the bench, Powell will provide the scoring fire power to sustain the offense.

I think that is a fair trade for both teams.

Covington isn't the player he once was.
His defense and shooting have slipped some.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - cow - 02-03-2022

Investing in KP seems like a surefire way to motivate Dame to ask for a trade.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - mvossman - 02-03-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:17 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Mvossman, the Mavs can offload THJ in the summer when he is healthy. I do not think THJ will be traded before the deadline because of his injury.

The primary concern with KP is his availability. Replacing him with capable rotation players who will be available is a fair trade I think. The Blazers will alsp be rolling the dice with KP if they trade for him because of his health concerns.

Whats the point of trading for one THJ just to offload the other?  That means you are trading for 2 months of Powell/THJ and 2 months of Covington.  That is basically a salary dump.  There is no point in that.  It will not generate any cap space but will reduce our available salary to trade.  It will greatly reduce the ceiling of the team without generating any assets.  That does not seem like value move, regardless of how frustrating KP health issues are.

And regardless of what you or I think make sense, I don't see any way the Mavs salary dump KP this TDL, especially the way he is playing this year.  If they do trade him, it is going to be for a similarly big name, moderately overpaid contract (like CJ or Hayward).

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - VintagePejav2 - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 12:13 AM)cow Wrote: Investing in KP seems like a surefire way to motivate Dame to ask for a trade.

It is currently inching Mark Cuban’s team towards the eventual Doncic departure. That’s for sure.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - SleepingHero - 02-03-2022

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6tfMg4R4dSpcqSn372HIhI

Chad Ford said in his most recent podcast that should the Blazers move on from Lillard, he'd prefer to stay in the west coast.

How many west coast teams can put a package and take the leap to contend with Lillard??

I think pretty much the Mavs are the only ones that have the best ratio of assets+contention for a Lillard trade. Maybe the Spurs too...?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - dirkfansince1998 - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 11:14 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6tfMg4R4dSpcqSn372HIhI

Chad Ford said in his most recent podcast that should the Blazers move on from Lillard, he'd prefer to stay in the west coast.

How many west coast teams can put a package and take the leap to contend with Lillard??

I think pretty much the Mavs are the only ones that have the best ratio of assets+contention for a Lillard trade. Maybe the Spurs too...?

West coast...or was this about the WCF? Otherwise we have a big problem. To be precise more than 1300 miles of problems.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - SleepingHero - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 11:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: West coast...or was this about the WCF? Otherwise we have a big problem. To be precise more than 1300 miles of problems.

I took it as the Western conference. But to be honest it could be read straight up as literally the western coast line. Which means Kings, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers.

So basically the Warriors, who now thinking about it has a much better package than anything the Mavs could offer.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - Hypermav - 02-03-2022

He can live on the east side of a lake in DFW and pretend.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |WAS to be very active, eyeing Sabonis - michaeltex - 02-03-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:11 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: The most concerning aspect of the last two games is Brunson’s inability to help vs length when Luka desperately needs someone else to step up. It’s a concern that will only be exasperated in the playoffs as we saw last year vs Batum. If you can use Brunson to get a long term starter such as Collins or Grant, do it yesterday.

That's been the concern with JB. Nobody questions his heart or BBIQ. He's just physically limited when competition gets to a certain level. IMO, he's definitely shown he can be a contributor and provide leadership, but he's never going to carry a team.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - michaeltex - 02-03-2022

(02-02-2022, 04:51 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t know many people that would walk away from 20M dollars just to stick to their principles. He could have shown up, half-assed the whole season and cashed 20M dollars.

I mean he also was a whooping net +19.5 on/off in the play-offs last year, while Embiid was +19.9. Maybe the question should be how much of a bum you must be as a headcoach to get a +20 headstart in virtually a 14 minute game, and still lose 4 out of 7.

I would offer that he did, indeed, show up to collect his money. He's been on the injury report with mental issues every since. Still getting paid. Not so hard to stick to principles if it doesn't cost anything.

But I agree the on/off is huge.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - KillerLeft - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 12:04 PM)michaeltex Wrote: That's been the concern with JB. Nobody questions his heart or BBIQ. He's just physically limited when competition gets to a certain level. IMO, he's definitely shown he can be a contributor and provide leadership, but he's never going to carry a team.

I agree with your assessment of what we've seen to this point. However, I'm nowhere near being confident enough to use the word "never" about this. I think it's possible, maybe even likely, that he'll find solutions to excel against those good, long teams, too. 

At this point, I'm not putting anything out of Brunson's reach. He could be on his way to Chris Paul level, for all we know.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |Lillard would "prefer west coast" if POR trades him - michaeltex - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with your assessment of what we've seen to this point. However, I'm nowhere near being confident enough to use the word "never" about this. I think it's possible, maybe even likely, that he'll find solutions to excel against those good, long teams, too. 

At this point, I'm not putting anything out of Brunson's reach. He could be on his way to Chris Paul level, for all we know.

Maybe. You could be correct and he'll show out when given a chance. I don't see a CP3-type fire in him though. Competent contributor, yes, face of the team leader, probably not.

(02-03-2022, 12:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: At this point, I'm not putting anything out of Brunson's reach. He could be on his way to Chris Paul level, for all we know.

At this point in their careers, CP3 was already a 3x all-star, 3x All-NBA (one 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd), 3x all-defense team (two 1st, one 2nd), 2x NBA assists leader, 2x NBA steals leader, and had lead New Orleans to a 56 win season with a 2nd round berth.

Brunson will never be at that level. I think he can still be a really good player. I view him as a prime Andre Miller who was a great player with a long career. No shame in that.