MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - SleepingHero - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 09:21 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: This is just a fantasy scenario I have been thinking. It will not probably happen but just want to know what you guys think.

Spending 2 FRP while giving up our 2nd and 3rd best players just for the end goal to be Jerami Grant doesn't make too much sense to me. Remember 2 FRP is a lot. Harden was traded for 3 FRP and pickswaps.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - Chicagojk - 02-01-2022

This certainly doesn't make Simmons look good.   There may be no winners here but stuff like this makes it tough to see Philly getting equal return for Simmons if he sits out all year.  Do they hold him for another year if they don't get Harden this summer?

[color=var(--newCommunityTheme-linkText)]https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33188431/the-specter-saga-haunts-ben-simmons-philadelphia-76ers[/color]

Quote:According to sources close to Simmons, he's upset that Embiid seemed to blame him for last season's playoff loss, when Simmons did not blame Embiid for Embiid's poor showing in the playoffs against the Toronto Raptors in 2019. He's frustrated that Rivers didn't come to see him while he was training in Los Angeles last summer.
Quote:Simmons doesn't dispute that he didn't reply when Rivers texted and called him several times over the summer asking to see him. But in hindsight, Simmons feels Rivers and the Sixers could've done more, like show up at a well-known gym in the San Fernando Valley where he was training.
Quote:He's also skeptical, sources close to him say, of Sixers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey's willingness to trade him because of his previous pursuit of Harden -- who can become a free agent this summer. Simmons would be the best player the Sixers would send in any theoretical trade. And he's upset that the organization is fining him so heavily after he raised mental health as an issue upon his return.
Quote:SIMMONS HAS LOST over $19 million in fines since the season began (each missed game costs him $360,000). He hasn't cleared a paycheck since the $8.25 million (25% of his $33 million salary) that was due to him Oct. 1. Every two weeks the team sends a notice with an explanation of all the fines he has accumulated for failing to render services, instead of a $1.375 million paycheck. By the end of the season, if he does not play for the Sixers or any other team, Simmons could lose another $12 million.
Quote:EVERY NIGHT AROUND 10 p.m., Simmons receives the team schedule for the next day. He shows up to shootarounds and film sessions when and where he's required to, according to a source close to him, to avoid getting fined for missing the team activity. But he rarely stays long or engages with anyone

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - SleepingHero - 02-01-2022

Coming back to one of my genesis trade ideas: BUDDY LOVE

Honestly we just need his shooting and SAC is on the verge of blowing it up. Further, Bagley actually could fit well here off the bench to cover for Maxi.

Seems like a really good buy low sell high type of trade.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - burekemde - 02-01-2022

Collins, I see as an outstanding SF. He would be big upgrade over DFS, in every skill. Not to understate what DFS brings, but Collins is better, and IMO played out of position at Hawks. they are similar weight, yet Collins is slightly taller and moves better, dribbles better, can do more with the ball, and has far better mid range game. Collins is more athletic and can shoot the 3 as well. He can post up as well, and makes great blocks. Very athletic. If we go for Collins, I hope this is to play him as a wing. He would upgrade our team.

For KP, I would look to upgrade us with Sabonis. Neither can cover the space on defensive side, but Sabonis is 100x times more skilled, and would make this offense instantly the best in the league with the fit with Luka. KP can protect the rim better, and is better shooting the 3, but Sabonis can make open 3s as well, and is better rebounder on defense, and his playmaking skills are light years ahead of the one for KP. I love the rim protection of KP, but I would any day prefer Sabonis, and the potential fit with Luka, also considering the injury history. Sabonis and Luka, think the game of basketball in same manner. Luka and KP are not on same page.

Chriss, I see as an intriguing player. He has potential to develop something special with Luka as a roll player. He can bring many of the things Powell does, maybe even with more upside. It will be interesting to see his defense. Chriss could make us enable trading Powell.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - Okstate819 - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 02:48 PM)burekemde Wrote: Collins, I see as an outstanding SF. He would be big upgrade over DFS, in every skill. Not to understate what DFS brings, but Collins is better, and IMO played out of position at Hawks. they are similar weight, yet Collins is slightly taller and moves better, dribbles better, can do more with the ball, and has far better mid range game. Collins is more athletic and can shoot the 3 as well. He can post up as well, and makes great blocks. Very athletic. If we go for Collins, I hope this is to play him as a wing. He would upgrade our team.

For KP, I would look to upgrade us with Sabonis. Neither can cover the space on defensive side, but Sabonis is 100x times more skilled, and would make this offense instantly the best in the league with the fit with Luka.

Chriss, I see as an intriguing player. He has potential to develop something special with Luka as a roll player. He can bring many of the things Powell does, maybe even with more upside. It will be interesting to see his defense. Chriss could make us enable trading Powell.

Collins is a great fit with Luka and definitely someone we should go after as a long term piece beyond when KP is here. But he's a 4 only imo. Doesn't have the ball handling skills to play on the wing and dont think he would fair well guarding perimeter orianted wings. DFS is a much better perimeter defender.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - burekemde - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 02:56 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: Collins is a great fit with Luka and definitely someone we should go after as a long term piece beyond when KP is here. But he's a 4 only imo. Doesn't have the ball handling skills to play on the wing and dont think he would fair well guarding perimeter orianted wings. DFS is a much better perimeter defender.

Somehow he strikes me having way better ball skills than DFS. This is not the strong point of Dorians game. Guarding perimeter defenders, I see Collins more athletic of the two. I dont know how Collins does that, will pay attention next time I see Hawks. We have a game soon coming up against them. I doubt that Collins cant defend the perimeter given how quick and athletic he is, more than DFS clearly.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - VintagePejav2 - 02-01-2022

Myles Turner. That’s it.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - sterlingmallory - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 10:27 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This certainly doesn't make Simmons look good.   There may be no winners here but stuff like this makes it tough to see Philly getting equal return for Simmons if he sits out all year.  Do they hold him for another year if they don't get Harden this summer?

[color=var(--newCommunityTheme-linkText)]https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33188431/the-specter-saga-haunts-ben-simmons-philadelphia-76ers[/color]

It seems like stuff like this comes out every few weeks and there are still people on this board who want him on our team. When are people going to realize that this is just who Simmons is and it's not going to change just because he's on a different team? Ben Simmons is the absolute definition of a soft diva and always will be. You will never get the ideal version of Ben because he doesn't want to be. If you're dreaming about Ben Simmons in some magical scenario where he suddenly becomes this team first guy that does whatever it takes to win, even if it means sacrificing his own ego, you're living in a fantasy that will never happen. What will end up happening is you will trade 30+ million dollars worth of assets for him and be left with a selfish diva who only cares about himself and shrinks when it matters most. Then you'll be screwed because you just spent all your remaining assets on this guy. Ben Simmons is seriously up there with Rondo in my mind as someone I NEVER want to see in a Mavericks uniform. Ever.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - Jommybone - 02-01-2022

(02-01-2022, 09:21 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: This is just a fantasy scenario I have been thinking. It will not probably happen but just want to know what you guys think.

How about a trade with Boston:

1. Boston gets Jalen Brunson and KP

Dallas gets Marcus Smart and Al Horford and 2FRPs.

Boston gets the PG they want in JB, and another All Star caliber (when healthy) player in KP. Also, they seem to be looking for an upgrade at the PG and Center positions. This gives them that.

They give up two FRPs because JB and KP are quality players that will help them win now.

They may run with the following line up:

Brunson, Brown, Tatum, KP, Williams.

2. Dallas then uses the 2 FRPs and package that with THJ (as salary balast) and JGreen and Moses Brown for Jerami Grant and scrubs for roster spot concerns.

Detroit gets THJ (veteran shooter, salary balast), JGreen (developing young player), MBrown (prospect/project at a position of need.

Dallas gets Jerami Grant (two-way player who will be second banana).

3. Hopefully Dallas signs Goran Dragic after being bought out.

Dallas can run a line up of

Starters: Luka, Smart, Grant, DFS, Maxi

Bench: Dragic, FN, RB, SB, Horford.

Luka will be surrounded by capable defenders who can switch if needed who abd also score.

These trades takes care of the salaries of THJ, KP, and the free agency of Brunson.

Horford is a big expiring contract, DP, Maxi are also expiring. Idon'know if these  are any good, just musing.

This is well thought out and covers a lot of angles. I like turning KP and THJ into Grant and Smart. Wish it didn’t cost Brunson to do it. If Grant and Maxi could hold the fort against the biggest of the bigs in the league, then this move might work.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - SleepingHero - 02-02-2022

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1487074951291191298

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1487076747061477376

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1487077728163708928

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1487099440796209157

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1488741931903553536

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - RedFlag41 - 02-02-2022

Thanks, Jommybone. Unfortunately, it looks like the Mavs will not be making a big move. I hope thry do some small trade that adds a player that will contribute, hopefully a shooter or another rim protector.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - burekemde - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 02:22 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Thanks, Jommybone. Unfortunately, it looks like the Mavs will not be making a big move. I hope thry do some small trade that adds a player that will contribute, hopefully a shooter or another rim protector.

I believe they will trade KP. A three team trade involving Sabonis or another big that has better fit with Luka.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 02-02-2022

^I think KP is on the move too.
Possibly the Mavs get a combination of expiring salaries, a fallen angel or young player/players with potential but their team has lost patience with.

It will underwhelm Mav fans.. but hey.. at least they can keep DFS and Brunson and sign them long term.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - DanSchwartzgan - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 08:03 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: ^I think KP is on the move too.
Possibly the Mavs get a combination of expiring salaries, a fallen angel or young player/players with potential but their team has lost patience with.

It will underwhelm Mav fans.. but hey.. at least they can keep DFS and Brunson and sign them long term.

To me there are two tricky parts to this.  You have to replace KP's defense in the paint and you have to get a player with some O that isn't redundant with Brunson.  I could get behind Nurkic/McCollom if it wouldn't run off JB.  I like Poeltl/White too.  White is a better defender and has a little more size than McCollom.  Could you start White, Brunson and Luka?  Probably.  Maybe that was the idea behind Turner and LeVert (but with KP going to a third team).

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - ItsGoTime - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 08:29 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Could you start White, Brunson and Luka?
I think you absolutely could. It most definitely makes Luka the 4 in that scenario, but I think he would play well in the LBJ/Jokic role.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - mvossman - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 08:29 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: To me there are two tricky parts to this.  You have to replace KP's defense in the paint and you have to get a player with some O that isn't redundant with Brunson.  I could get behind Nurkic/McCollom if it wouldn't run off JB.  I like Poeltl/White too.  White is a better defender and has a little more size than McCollom.  Could you start White, Brunson and Luka?  Probably.  Maybe that was the idea behind Turner and LeVert (but with KP going to a third team).

Poeltl/White would by far be my favorite outcome.  I think a Poeltl/DFS/Luka/White/Brunson starting lineup could actually compete.  Better defense than what we have now, tons of ball movement and offensive options.  I would probably be willing to add Green to make this happen.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - ItsGoTime - 02-02-2022

The two base trades I'd like to see for KP are White/Poeltl or Nurkic/RoCo. I think either of those trades make us better in the long run.

JB/White/DFS/Luka/Poeltl or JB/Luka/DFS/RoCo/Nurkic looks good for now.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - Mavs2021 - 02-02-2022

So who do we think are potential Porzingis teams directly or indirectly?

Directly (his new team)

Sacramento
Portland
Washington
Charlotte 
Orlando
San Antonio

Indirectly (three team trade, talent coming from...)

Atlanta
Philadelphia
Indiana
New York

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - mvossman - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:00 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The two base trades I'd like to see for KP are White/Poeltl or Nurkic/RoCo. I think either of those trades make us better in the long run.

JB/White/DFS/Luka/Poeltl or JB/Luka/DFS/RoCo/Nurkic looks good for now.

Those are two very different trades.  The first is two high level relatively young starters on very good contracts.  That improves the team short and long term (which is why I don't really see this happening).

The second is for two older/injury plagued expirings.  That is close to a salary dump for KP.  Don't see the Mavs doing that.  It might actually make you better in the short term (debatable) but the long term is a black hole.  4 of your 5 starters would UFA this upcoming offseason.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL:Feb 10, 2pm |POR+CJ might breakup? |BOS expected to deal Dennis S - SleepingHero - 02-02-2022

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953006-trade-deadline-intel-wizards-among-nbas-most-active-shoppers-eyeing-sabonis

Quote:"League personnel say the Pacers are seeking a package similar to or greater than the haul Nikola Vucevic drew for the Orlando Magic last season. Only Sacramento, New Orleans and Washington have been linked by league personnel as Sabonis suitors with significant interest."
Vucevic went for Wendell Carter Jr, Otto Porter, and 2 FRP. So essentially a young prospect with upside, a salary dump, and 2 FRP. 

Mavs have Green (who isn't nearly as good as WCJr), THJ ( a fantastic salary dump imo), and no picks. So Sabonis is priced out (unless the Mavs pull off a 3-teamer with Charlotte).

In fact, this 3-team trade makes sense for all parties:

CHA: Porzingis + (Maxi, or Warren, or Craig, or Brissett)
IND: Hayward, Bouknight, 2027 first from DAL, 2025 first from CHA
DAL: Sabonis, Lamb.

Charlotte pays a single 1st for KP and get out from Hayward's expensive money. They provide the young prospect who really hasn't shown much at all and plays a position that is currently stacked for CHA. 
Indiana gets their 2 firsts which is the main coup. Hayward is a hometown guy that they've long had interest for. Bouknight is the young prospect.
Dallas gets out from KP and replaces him with another skilled big in Sabonis, and while he has his own downsides, he's a sub all-star. They use their TPE to eat lamb. 

The only issue is IND is about 1 mil over the tax with this trade. Maybe including one of their plethora of forwards is the only other step. A guy like Warren, Craig, or Brissett is enough to fix the tax issue and we can route them to CHA who replaces Hayward. Mavs could also send Maxi to CHA and take back another bad salary for the Pacers to keep things working. Lots of variations here.