MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - SatnamSingh - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 01:05 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I feel as fans we overthink about fit. 

The first goal should be to get more skill.  Then worry about fit. 

The goal should be to get more talent.  Defensive ability is also a talent.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - hakeemfaan - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 01:28 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: The goal should be to get more talent.  Defensive ability is also a talent.

I am the last person who disagrees with that. However you have to make some compromises. .  Hard nosed defensive players can be found even on 10 day contracts. We have that proof in front of us. Sabonis type skill level players OTOH are much more difficult to find. Yes, ideally you want the right mix but Sabonis is a proven scorer in this league. Right now when Luka is out, we can’t say the same thing about even KP.  We have defensive players. We need more skilled legit offensive players.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - WildArkieBoy - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 01:44 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I am the last person who disagrees with that. However you have to make some compromises. .  Hard nosed defensive players can be found even on 10 day contracts. We have that proof in front of us. Sabonis type skill level players OTOH are much more difficult to find. Yes, ideally you want the right mix but Sabonis is a proven scorer in this league. Right now when Luka is out, we can’t say the same thing about even KP.  We have defensive players. We need more skilled legit offensive players.

With all this recent talk about Sabonis.  Is there even a remote chance Dallas has enough ammo to get him?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - dirkfansince1998 - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 01:05 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I feel as fans we overthink about fit. 

The first goal should be to get more skill.  Then worry about fit. The Mavs mediocrity over the past decade can be attributed mainly to them only wanting to splurge on the superstar with the right fit or attitude. A player like DAngelo Russel as an asset would have been the correct choice than spending that money on 3 lesser players. Quality over quantity. Look what GS did and how it worked out. Ironically also look at what GS did with Wiseman and choosing him for fit over Melo.  Lessons can be learned from those two transactions.  

Get Sabonis in here and he would instantly be our 2nd most skilled offensive player.  Worry about the fit later.  Don’t try to over analyze and do what the MBT did for the last decade.

I wish the Mavs would have over analyzed some of their choices instead of just going after big names or whatever we view as the best available talent. For the most part that´s how they ended up with nothing (scrambling to sign some one year deals) or with mediocre big names past their prime (Williams, DAJ, Barnes...).
You picked one specific example where things worked out for GS. What about Kemba  and Hayward in Boston. Or more recently RW in LA. In hindsight it is easy to make a call on those moves. But I don´t see a general trend.
In GS case I would make the case that they actually gave up the at the time higher rated individual talent (Russell) in exchange for better fit (Wiggins) and a pick (Kuminga).

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - dirkfansince1998 - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 01:44 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I am the last person who disagrees with that. However you have to make some compromises. .  Hard nosed defensive players can be found even on 10 day contracts. We have that proof in front of us. Sabonis type skill level players OTOH are much more difficult to find. Yes, ideally you want the right mix but Sabonis is a proven scorer in this league. Right now when Luka is out, we can’t say the same thing about even KP.  We have defensive players. We need more skilled legit offensive players.

I don´t think adding Sabonis would lead to any kind of improvement. It would be the same trade off we have seen in the past. Exchange offense for defense / defense for offense.

Maybe this just comes down to me being a lot lower on Sabonis than most. I really think that he is one of the worst defensive starters in the league. Watching him last night I wasn´t concerned about his scoring and playmaking because I knew that he would give up even more points on defense. And he delivered. Mavs had an open lane to the rim all game long. Layups, alley-oops. Whatever they wanted.

I am actually suprised. Is something wrong with my eyes. Sabonis made last seasons version of KP look like an all defense player in comparisation. He was beyond bad. Could have scored 50 and I wouldn´t care.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - omahen - 01-30-2022

(1) MavsCBA on Twitter: "This is bad for the many Mavericks fans who are hoping Dragic gets bought out by Toronto and signs here. If he goes to another team and gets bought out then the Mavs have to compete with Miami to sign him." / Twitter

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - KillerLeft - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 12:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Smart would instantly be the 3rd best ballhandler. Adding even more versatility.

I agree with this part. 

I just think he's prone to trying to take over in situations that really, really, REALLY don't call for it.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - burekemde - 01-30-2022

Other than Jokic, i dont know who has the skills of Sabonis. Its super rare. And our offense would explode with Sabonis, Luka and Brunson.

Sabonis was literally unstoppable last game. His offensive game and defensive rebounding was outstanding. I believe he had like 15 points at half time and was scoring at will against any of our defenders, even over KP and Maxi at same time. Sabonis belongs playing next to players like Luka and Brunson. Pacers is not the team that gets most out of his skills.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - KillerLeft - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 02:05 PM)omahen Wrote: (1) MavsCBA on Twitter: "This is bad for the many Mavericks fans who are hoping Dragic gets bought out by Toronto and signs here. If he goes to another team and gets bought out then the Mavs have to compete with Miami to sign him." / Twitter

Maybe the Mavericks are one of the teams negotiating to trade for him?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - omahen - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 02:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Maybe the Mavericks are one of the teams negotiating to trade for him?

I hope not Smile

Dragic as bought out, great. Trade 15 mil of salaries for him, not really. I am not in the club where dumping THJ for nothing is a smart move.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - hakeemfaan - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 01:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wish the Mavs would have over analyzed some of their choices instead of just going after big names or whatever we view as the best available talent. For the most part that´s how they ended up with nothing (scrambling to sign some one year deals) or with mediocre big names past their prime (Williams, DAJ, Barnes...).
You picked one specific example where things worked out for GS. What about Kemba  and Hayward in Boston. Or more recently RW in LA. In hindsight it is easy to make a call on those moves. But I don´t see a general trend.
In GS case I would make the case that they actually gave up the at the time higher ranked individual talent (Russell) in exchange for better fit (Wiggins) and a pick (Kuminga).

Please tell me who the Mavs went after as best talent?  They put one name up there and other than that got into paralysis by over analysis. Which IMO is what you are doing too. 

The Russel example was them taking the most talented player even if he was not the best fit and then moving him later for better fits. They didn’t wait for step 2 to happen because that option was not there. They took the option that was in front of them and made the other option later.  The Mavs meanwhile keep waiting for that option 2 as if that will magically happen. 

We lack a legit 2nd scorer. Ideally yes that person would be a perfect complement to Luka but we don’t have that luxury. Smart is not that player. Plus I am also looking for a player who can carry the offense when Luka is on the bench or misses a few games.  Sabonis will give us a better chance down the road also to do a Kuminga/Wiggins type of move if that opportunity presents itself.

(01-30-2022, 02:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this part. 

I just think he's prone to trying to take over in situations that really, really, REALLY don't call for it.

I don’t see him as the right fit exactly because of that 2nd point you correctly state. 

Also I saw Josh Green with a 10 assist game in Luka’s absence. I see a lot of guys not just on our team but on other teams who came on 10 day contracts and play hard nosed defense. I know Smart brings more than that and I would love to have him on our team but IMO the crying need is for a legit 2nd scorer who we know we can run our offense through and be guaranteed to get points. That type of a person is difficult to find. Sabonis fits that bill.

(01-30-2022, 02:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree with this part. 

I know what you mean. For all the high IQ or clutch hustle plays he makes he also has some Javal / WCS moments. His offensive role is an interesting topic. I agree that he is taking some ill advised shots but he is also the only starter that is trying to move the ball. Some people think that it is no fun to play next to Luka. They should watch some Celtics games. Tatum and Brown are probably the two worst iso chuckers in the league.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - Mavs32 - 01-30-2022

Smart is actually a solid catch and shoot 3pt shooter.  he just shoots so many off the driblle or pull up threes that it takes away.  hopefully if he came here, he wouldn't feel the need to chuck up those shots because the ball moves so much better.

Also his on ball defense while good isn't what it used to be, his team defense is definitely elite.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - F Gump - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 10:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not a fan of the player, but I can admit that he absolutely would instantly add to the already growing tough, edgy mindset this team is building. For a team determined to forge a defensive identity that lasts into the late season and playoffs, it would be helpful.

To play devil's advocate with myself again, I think it's possible that the horrible 1-v-3 offense I've seen from him in important stretches is partly due to Tatum and Brown being kind of selfish. Like, maybe some of Smart's offensive idiocy is born of frustration? 

But it seems like you've watched him, so you know: a lot of the people here who want him because they recognize his name and associate it with "defense" are going to be shocked at some of the problems this guy causes his own team on the offensive end. Again, maybe playing with a guy like Luka fixes some of that. A lot of it, even.

In theory Smart "the great defender whose offense is ugly" sounds like a good add.

But that's only in theory, because -
1 His defense is not nearly what it used to be, and it's only going to get worse.
2 More importantly, you don't pay 18-20M for a defender because he's essentially just a good defender (unless you're an idiot). And with Smart, that's really the best version of him possible, a very good defender. (The worst version, and just as likely, is you don't even get superior defense, as he declines with age.)
3 The Smart that was highly desirable was during the last contract when his defense was better, he was younger, and he was being paid about $12M on average for 4 years. But that's not what you'd get now.
4 For those who wish for Smart because he can be your PJ Tucker, Portis, etc, go see the contracts. Danny Green, in his PRIME was getting 10M per year. That's the type of money - at, or modestly above, the MLE vicinity - that a plus defender gets. The next plus defender who is out there without the big name, will be gettable in that price range. Smart's huge extension was a rookie GM mistake that the C's would love to unload on someone else, and we should have no interest at all. (PS - as much as we like DFS, if he's going to expect 15M per, that's about 20-30% too much for what he offers. I'd have to be VERY open to moving him, if that's what it will take. )

(01-30-2022, 02:32 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Please tell me who the Mavs went after as best talent?  They put one name up there and other than that got into paralysis by over analysis. Which IMO is what you are doing too. 

The Russel example was them taking the most talented player even if he was not the best fit and then moving him later for better fits. They didn’t wait for step 2 to happen because that option was not there. They took the option that was in front of them and made the other option later.  The Mavs meanwhile keep waiting for that option 2 as if that will magically happen. 

We lack a legit 2nd scorer. Ideally yes that person would be a perfect complement to Luka but we don’t have that luxury. Smart is not that player. Plus I am also looking for a player who can carry the offense when Luka is on the bench or misses a few games.  Sabonis will give us a better chance down the road also to do a Kuminga/Wiggins type of move if that opportunity presents itself.

If we are ignoring the big name hunt in the post championship years. One could argue that the KP trade was the most recent example. Allstar available for trade. Who cares about fit or health. Just go for it. And that´s exactly what the Mavs did.

It is easy to come up with one example where a certain approach worked. Just as easy to find examples where the same approach failed.
The Warriors situation was unique. They would have lost KD for nothing and took whatever they could get in a trade. No one is saying that the Mavs shouldn´t try to maximize the talent. Thing is that they aren´t in a situation where they can choose. It´s not the take it or leave it Warriors situation. The Mavs have limited assets. No margin for error. A player like Sabonis would come at a hefty price. There is no way back if things aren´t working out.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |POR ready to move McCollum? |Randle available - F Gump - 01-30-2022

(01-30-2022, 12:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs are fine with Frank and/or Green on the floor. Not sure why Smart would be worse. 

Smart costs 18-20M. Green/Frank each cost 1-3M and as you say, do kinda the same things. That extra 15-20M matters hugely in a salary cap world.

(01-30-2022, 02:59 PM)F Gump Wrote: His defense is not nearly what it used to be, and it's only going to get worse.

I wonder where this is coming from. The Celtics have the 4th ranked defense in the league. Smart´s boxscore numbers are elite (1.9stls career high, 1.7 DBPM).
His on/off numbers are good (Celtics are 3.7pts better on defense with him on the floor). According to the available advanced metrics he is an elite defender (+2 Raptor, +2.9 EPM).

(01-30-2022, 03:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: Smart costs 18-20M. Green/Frank each cost 1-3M and as you say, do kinda the same things. That extra 15-20M matters hugely in a salary cap world.

And Smart is a better defender and ballhandler than both. Context was the questionable shooting.

(01-30-2022, 03:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If we are ignoring the big name hunt in the post championship years. One could argue that the KP trade was the most recent example. Allstar available for trade. Who cares about fit or health. Just go for it. And that´s exactly what the Mavs did.

It is easy to come up with one example where a certain approach worked. Just as easy to find examples where the same approach failed.
The Warriors situation was unique. They would have lost KD for nothing and took whatever they could get in a trade. No one is saying that the Mavs shouldn´t try to maximize the talent. Thing is that they aren´t in a situation where they can choose. It´s not the take it or leave it Warriors situation. The Mavs have limited assets. No margin for error. A player like Sabonis would come at a hefty price. There is no way back if things aren´t working out.

Let’s put all that aside. I am asking a simple question. Do the Mavs have a legit 2nd scoring option that we can run the offense through when Luka is out or on the bench?  Is that type of an offensive player easier to get or is it much more easier to get a more hard nosed defensive player?  

I am not at all disagreeing with you that it might not be the best fit or that it doesn’t move the needle much in terms of a title. What I am saying is all elite teams have two legit scoring options. All teams even lower ones crave more to get legit scoring options.  Get Sabonis in here if you can,  and see how it is working out. If it  is not working out, there will still be a lot of takers for his talent regardless of his defensive weaknesses.

I will never understand this boards obsession with bigs that cannot defend in space. Just hope that the Mavs learned from past mistakes. DAJ was a disaster. KP can be a liablity. Sabonis would be another disaster.