MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |Lots of execs expect DFS/JB to be on the move | - Tyler - 01-26-2022

(01-26-2022, 02:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: So THJ + Brunson for Grant?

Normally I'd say that THJ's injury would nix any deal, but this one actually makes sense. Detroit is known to like both Brunson and THJ (who they were after this past summer). They're also tanking this year, so shutting down THJ to let him fully heal could actually be a plus. 

From the Dallas perspective, they basically swap THJ's salary for Grant while no longer having to worry about Brunson's big raise. Of course they'll also have to keep Grant a year later, but even if he gets a raise they'll also have a little more financial flexibility by then with other guys expiring.

So if Detroit is willing to overpay Brunson to convince him to stay, I could see this from both sides. Dallas would REALLY need another shot creator like Dragic, but in a starting lineup of Luka/___/DFS/Grant/KP they have plenty of depth to rotate through that second guard spot to see who sticks.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |Lots of execs expect DFS/JB to be on the move | - Mavs2021 - 01-26-2022

I don´t like Grant. Think he´ll be more trouble than he is worth, role and salary imho. I´d try to re-direct him elsewhere.

Interesting that DFS is mentioned for the Blazers. I mean if Lillard leaves they don´t exactly have a PG anymore, especially if they also send Luka´s buddy back. McCollum and Simons are SGs. We´d really have to gut our roster, but we´d have a big three, two in skills, one in size.  Tongue

It comes all down to money. I´d argue that Cuban has to pay this summer (one way or the other) otherwise he´ll look like the new cheap Donald Sterling, but casual fans are gullible suckers...

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |Harden might move on from BKN|DET likes Brunson - cow - 01-26-2022

(01-26-2022, 01:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1486367859911577615?s=20

[Image: godkinglies.png]

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - SleepingHero - 01-27-2022

https://twitter.com/scammersultan/status/1486492105195335680?s=21

Quote:
I don’t think Brunson and Dorian are “untouchable” in the traditional sense but their contracts are so small compared to their production that it’s too hard to trade either for equal value straight up. Have to include more salary to match, and that’s where it gets complicated.

^ What Marc Stein said in his chat room

Also: https://twitter.com/thekobebeef/status/1486575273994764288?s=21

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - cow - 01-27-2022

Maybe Stein's thoughts should clue is on on the modest value that either Brunson or DFS have.  Maxi, Reggie and Powell would be your most likely "other contracts" with Maxi the only one having positive value.  Including Reggie or Powell would further sap the value you could return.  I doubt Maxi and DFS would return enough to make the Mavs interested as it would take a huge chunk out of their defensive potential.  Maxi + Brunson would probably bring you the biggest return but I'm struggling to think of a ~$10m player that would be worth those assets.  

The luxury tax tweets combined with Stein's thoughts, do have more concerned about the offseason.  I'm starting to believe we'll lose one of the two.

If they want a creator, I still like the idea of Bullock for Kemba.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - burekemde - 01-27-2022

The team has played incredibly well with Brunson next to Luka, this has produced so many wins. The offense is a lot more unpredictable and Brunsons contribution on offense has made Luka been able to focus more on his defense. I believe Brunson is untouchable based on his performance this season.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-27-2022

Nobody is untouchable.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - mvossman - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 02:43 AM)cow Wrote: Maybe Stein's thoughts should clue is on on the modest value that either Brunson or DFS have.  Maxi, Reggie and Powell would be your most likely "other contracts" with Maxi the only one having positive value.  Including Reggie or Powell would further sap the value you could return.  I doubt Maxi and DFS would return enough to make the Mavs interested as it would take a huge chunk out of their defensive potential.  Maxi + Brunson would probably bring you the biggest return but I'm struggling to think of a ~$10m player that would be worth those assets.  

The luxury tax tweets combined with Stein's thoughts, do have more concerned about the offseason.  I'm starting to believe we'll lose one of the two.

If they want a creator, I still like the idea of Bullock for Kemba.

Not a fan of the Bullock contract, but less so of the Kemba contract.  He is already a walking sieve on defense and his knees could fall off at any time.  Much rather do Dragic if we can.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - haveitall - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 02:17 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/scammersultan/status/1486492105195335680?s=21

^ What Marc Stein said in his chat room

Also: https://twitter.com/thekobebeef/status/1486575273994764288?s=21

Bring back DSJ!

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |Harden might move on from BKN|LA wants Wall for #1 - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-27-2022

(01-26-2022, 02:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: So THJ + Brunson for Grant?  Don't know if that makes sense for Detroit.  I'm not a fan of Grant, but if we are going to dump Brunson to avoid tax, this helps address our offensive issues and opens up a spot for backup point guard (Dragic, Kemba, Schroder).

Its suggested we are trying to avoid the tax, but that is going to be tough without trading THJ or Brunson.

He'd be a lot better than Killian Hayes, who has bust written all over him.  I know he's very young and just in his 2nd year, but he hasn't shown any upside especially shooting and stays hurt a lot. Detroit should be kicking themselves for passing on Haliburton.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - Tyler - 01-27-2022

I appreciate you following up that tweet with the actual Stein quote, SleepingHero. 

What Stein actually said:

Quote:I don’t think Brunson and Dorian are “untouchable” in the traditional sense but their contracts are so small compared to their production that it’s too hard to trade either for equal value straight up. Have to include more salary to match, and that’s where it gets complicated.

How a rando fan summarizes it on Twitter:

Quote:Marc Stein says regardless of THJ's injury, the Mavs have very little options. Says DFS and JB are pretty much untouchable and unless teams suddenly want another player, it's not looking good.

This is why it's important to not take social media at face value. When you see bold claims on Twitter, please try to trace it back to the source before sharing. There's very often a lot of important context that's missing.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - cjeter24 - 01-27-2022

All you need to know about Smart is that he shoots 52% of his shots from 3 with under a 32% career average from 3. He offers zero offensive game except for bricking 3s. I would not trade THJ or anyone else for him. We have enough issues on offense without a guy who has one year in his career where he has shot over 40% from the field. not 3pt.. From the field!

That's almost impossible for a guy to do his entire career. I honestly cant think of anyone else that's been that bad for so long offensively.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:58 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: All you need to know about Smart is that he shoots 52% of his shots from 3 with under a 32% career average from 3. He offers zero offensive game except for bricking 3s. I would not trade THJ or anyone else for him. We have enough issues on offense without a guy who has one year in his career where he has shot over 40% from the field. not 3pt.. From the field!

That's almost impossible for a guy to do his entire career. I honestly cant think of anyone else that's been that bad for so long offensively.

I don't think teams would trade for him because he's some type of offensive juggernaut.  They'd want him because he plays great defense, and makes winning plays.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - mvossman - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:58 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: All you need to know about Smart is that he shoots 52% of his shots from 3 with under a 32% career average from 3. He offers zero offensive game except for bricking 3s. I would not trade THJ or anyone else for him. We have enough issues on offense without a guy who has one year in his career where he has shot over 40% from the field. not 3pt.. From the field!

He is a poor shooter, but its interesting that every advanced on/off stat has him as roughly average offensive player.  Part of it is that his playmaking provides significant value, and part of it is that sometimes poor shooting is better than not shooting at all.  

This also does not address the fact that he is an elite perimeter defender.  He is in a different class than DFS.  There is a valid argument to be made that trading Brunson for Smart is going the wrong direction from an offense/defense balance, especially with THJ out, but Smart has a large positive impact on the court.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - SleepingHero - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 11:55 AM)Tyler Wrote: This is why it's important to not take social media at face value. When you see bold claims on Twitter, please try to trace it back to the source before sharing. There's very often a lot of important context that's missing.

That's why I searched for the quote but the chat rooms are behind a paywall and disappear as soon as they're over.

So it's tough to really gather everything he said.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - dirkfansince1998 - 01-27-2022

I guess we will get into another +/- vs boxscore discussion over Smart´s offense. He has been a net positive on offense in all but one season in the last five years (worst season was a -0.6). Not like the Celtics had a terrible offense with Smart on the floor.
Question is if Smart´s offensive contribution as a playmaker and hustle player makes him a good fit on the current Mavs team.

And yet, his teams consistently win a lot in the playoffs. And his defense plays a big role in that.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - Chicagojk - 01-27-2022

From Jake Fischer from Bleacher report below.   For what is worth, I don't put much stake in these numbers.  But I think the odds may be higher DFS gets 15 million than Jalen getting 20 million.   Just my opinion.

As far as other teams.  The Hawks are getting back on track and have been playing well lately.  So they may back off any bigger trades now.   Unless they get one that is a no brainer.

On the other hand, the Kings are blowing up.   They need to re-set and move 3-5 players imo.  Just start over.  Quick playing with the hope you make a playin game.   Blow that sucker up!

Jake Fisher

1. While rival personnel continue positing Dallas will have to choose one of Jalen Brunson or Dorian Finney-Smith to sacrifice ahead of their upcoming free agency windows, the Mavericks have expressed a confidence they will be able to retain both key contributors. To do so, Dallas will need to stave off the expected advances from New York for Brunson.Meanwhile, Finney-Smith is said to be searching for roughly $15 million in average annual value this offseason.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - TXBamanut - 01-27-2022

The truth is with Dorian and JB, what you are trying to get in return are better versions of what they already are, so it's like "Hey, will you trade me your Samsung Galaxy S21 for my Samsung Galaxy S20 and a cheese stick?  We can just take up each other's payments?"  Yeah, you are paying "more" or "less", but will the production on the players you got in trade be THAT much better.

I agree, the roster needs shakeup..but I'm not into taking two steps back.

The THJ injury really shot a hole in the boat for the TDL...that was one of the worst scenarios that they could have encountered, besides another injury to KP.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2pm |Stein DAL see JB/DFS near untouchable, want creator - cow - 01-27-2022

(01-27-2022, 09:51 AM)mvossman Wrote: Not a fan of the Bullock contract, but less so of the Kemba contract.  He is already a walking sieve on defense and his knees could fall off at any time.  Much rather do Dragic if we can.

Kemba's contract is less expensive than Bullock.  Kemba would be here for shot creation, not defense.  Dude can get buckets.  Bullocks been a pretty big bust for us to this point.  I call this trade the pencil eraser as both New York and Dallas would be correcting offseason mistakes.

(01-27-2022, 12:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: From Jake Fischer from Bleacher report below.   For what is worth, I don't put much stake in these numbers.  But I think the odds may be higher DFS gets 15 million than Jalen getting 20 million.   Just my opinion.

As far as other teams.  The Hawks are getting back on track and have been playing well lately.  So they may back off any bigger trades now.   Unless they get one that is a no brainer.

On the other hand, the Kings are blowing up.   They need to re-set and move 3-5 players imo.  Just start over.  Quick playing with the hope you make a playin game.   Blow that sucker up!

Jake Fisher

1. While rival personnel continue positing Dallas will have to choose one of Jalen Brunson or Dorian Finney-Smith to sacrifice ahead of their upcoming free agency windows, the Mavericks have expressed a confidence they will be able to retain both key contributors. To do so, Dallas will need to stave off the expected advances from New York for Brunson.Meanwhile, Finney-Smith is said to be searching for roughly $15 million in average annual value this offseason.

I figured Dorian would get to 15m in the 3rd or 4th year of his deal.