MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - mvossman - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 05:19 PM)cow Wrote: MBT aren't going to trade THJ just to get off of his contract.  As bad as the fit is, they like him, at least enough to not give him the Harrison Barnes treatment.  He could get traded, but they'd want to upgrade him or at least get someone near is value that would fit better with Kidd's play style.

You are probably right, but they really liked Harrison Barnes too.  I think Donnie cried.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - Chicagojk - 01-24-2022

I tend to agree about THJ.  I expect him to be here after the deadline.   I have a feeling even if we do trade him this offseason or the future, Mavs will look to to put him in a good spot (IE competitive team).  Just a hunch.  It is a business in the end, but I think they would try to make him whole and not send him like Detroit.  

Question---Cleveland has one more year with Kevin Love and Markenan signed a 4 year deal.   Would either of those interest you for Hardaway.  Love would take more salary and may not fit the defensive focus we are looking for.   Markkanen?  Cleveland has sort of liked going to this bigger lineup, but would Hardaway balance them out more?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - Chicagojk - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 07:11 PM)omahen Wrote: Exactly. Of course we can endlessly discuss what kind of player would be needed to push Mavs into serious contender status and we might never agree. I will not repeat which player(s) would I go for. There is also an option to wait till draft and make the trade than, knowing in advance Brunson and DFS will be resigned.

Out of the box idea - how about Washington? They are reportedly not satisfied with Dinwiddie and they have an overload of average players and not enough minutes to go around, especially on PF spot, which is main position of need for Dallas. So how about Brunson and THJ for Dinwidie and Hachimura? Washington could get a better PG to put next to Beal and a 6th man shooter. Kuzma is great at PF so they don't really need Hachimura. Mavs get a young starting PF that has one more year of a cost control deal and a solid replacement for Brunson. 

They also have that awful Bertans deal, which is about twice as bad as THJ deal, but I have a hard time seeing a deal that would benefit both.

Washington is an interesting team to watch.  They have come back to earth after a fast start.  They are in a difficult position because they are middle tier but have to show Beal they are trying to win.    Before we changed our starting lineup, I was interested in Thomas Bryant.  Both him and Harrell are free agents after the year.  They also have Daniel Gafford.   With our center rotation now, I think I am fine with not picking up another center.  Don't know who else would interest me there, but I expect they try to move a center.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - omahen - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 07:52 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Question---Cleveland has one more year with Kevin Love and Markenan signed a 4 year deal.   Would either of those interest you for Hardaway.  Love would take more salary and may not fit the defensive focus we are looking for.   Markkanen?  Cleveland has sort of liked going to this bigger lineup, but would Hardaway balance them out more?

Not really sold by any of them, I think they lack the D part too much for what Mavs are trying to do. Another idea - Nance still fits in our TE and Portland would certainly like to get out of tax. Of course this increases Mavs tax problem for next season, but they can deal with that from draft night all the way to the next year TDL.

Regarding Jalen, it will be interesting what the market is this summer.   Simons from Portland is a RFA but I wonder if a team throws a ton at him with his recent good play.   Sexton is also a RFA.  He has been up and down but a team may throw at ton at him as Cleveland may not see him in their long term play.  They may still match to keep the asset though.   Then you have Tyus Jones is also a free agent and he has been very good this year in Memphis.    Rubio will be coming off an ACL, but he will probably have suiters in the MLE.  Schroeder from Boston may be an MLE candidate too....who knows though.   Different strokes for different folks, but it is a little big muddy with PG free agents.

(01-24-2022, 08:03 PM)omahen Wrote: Not really sold by any of them, I think they lack the D part too much for what Mavs are trying to do. Another idea - Nance still fits in our TE and Portland would certainly like to get out of tax. Of course this increases Mavs tax problem for next season, but they can deal with that from draft night all the way to the next year TDL.

I am interested to get a good look at Nance when we play Portland this week.  Earlier this year he was rough in our matchup with them.   

Portland seemed to make several moves that smart basketball people thought were good (Roco, Jones, Nance, etc).  They just haven't worked.   I was going to do a post about how the Mavs can't be Portland.  Sometimes the moves people say are good, do not work out.    GMing is tough.

Marcus Smart is an interesting name.   I just don't know if I see a fit here.  I think his next team he goes to needs to have a strong willed, respected coach.  Because he can't play how he has played recently.   I could see him winding up on a team like Miami and changing how he plays and really be a nice fit.   It is a pretty big salary though to gamble on.  

I would probably steer clear, but I can see in a perfect world if he bought into a certain role that he could be really valuable.  I think Boston may try to move him.   They need a PG and he may be the easiest way to get that.  Who knows though.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - mvossman - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 06:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That would be awesome. So basically you're suggesting they use THJ as part of a deal to get the roster to a point where it makes sense to start paying the tax. 

I'm all for that. Just can't imagine what the deal would be. I haven't seen any such (realistic) deal get suggested here, but then again that doesn't mean it's not out there, and maybe I'm wrong about what's realistic.

There have been a couple suggested:

THJ + First for Grant
THJ + Powell for Tobias Harris

I'm not a big fan of either, but I am struggling to come up with something better.  I toyed with THJ + Brunson for Brogdon, but Brogdon can't be traded this year.  I would be curious to hear something that makes sense.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - RedFlag41 - 01-24-2022

I am out on Marcus Smart. Too much money and he has been injury prone and has been in decline. DFS is a better player right now. I would not trade DFS for him.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - omahen - 01-24-2022

There is also this - Indy will have to clear a roster spot in 10 days and so far they were reluctant to just cut someone. 

So how about THJ for expiring Warren (will he play this season?) and Lamb? Both would be useful this season if of course healthy. You let Lamb walk in the summer and resign Warren for likely less money THJ is making.

Marc Stein on Twitter: "The Pacers today signed Lance Stephenson to what will likely be the parties’ last allowable 10-day deal before Indiana will have to sign Stephenson for the rest of the season. More NBA from me: https://t.co/LGN9cVpeGP" / Twitter

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - RedFlag41 - 01-24-2022

I hppe there is some way the Mavs can trade for Robert Covington. Ideally for the Mavs reserves like Boban, Burke, and S. Brown and two 2nd round picks for Covington.

He would play the back up PF minutes, alleviating DFS of that responsibility and allowing him to play exclusively at the SF position.

Or maybe trade Reggie Bullock plus a 2nd round pick/s for Robert Covington. Portland may want Bullock to improve their defense. I think Bullock is a good on-ball and PNR defender who the Blazers may value.

(01-24-2022, 08:14 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I am out on Marcus Smart. Too much money and he has been injury prone and has been in decline. DFS is a better player right now. I would not trade DFS for him.

Its kind of funny to me how down this board is on Marcus Smart and argues he is getting paid too much, but want to spend every asset we have to get Ben Simmons who is getting paid twice as much.  Simmons is basically a taller Smart.  They are both elite defenders.  They both rely on playmaking as their primary value on offense.  Smart shoots too much and Simmons not enough.  I realize Simmons is a better player and the extra height makes a difference, but he doesn't really take as much advantage of it as you would hope.  He does not protect the rim, or rim run.  I understand Simmons has immense talent and is younger, but he showed no hint of improvement for 4 years, and now he is missing at least half a season pouting.  If we are going that route, give me the poor mans Simmons who plays his ass off, to the wildly expensive real thing that doesn't seem to give a shit about basketball.

Ben Simmons has a great deal of issues but their caliber as players are worlds apart in my opinion.

Smart is owed 143M for the next four years. I don't think that is worth what he will give you.

It is actually 77M for the next four years. My bad. Still too much money.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - Davemo - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 08:19 PM)omahen Wrote: There is also this - Indy will have to clear a roster spot in 10 days and so far they were reluctant to just cut someone. 

So how about THJ for expiring Warren (will he play this season?) and Lamb? Both would be useful this season if of course healthy. You let Lamb walk in the summer and resign Warren for likely less money THJ is making.

Marc Stein on Twitter: "The Pacers today signed Lance Stephenson to what will likely be the parties’ last allowable 10-day deal before Indiana will have to sign Stephenson for the rest of the season. More NBA from me: https://t.co/LGN9cVpeGP" / Twitter

i would be interested in a healthy Warren....if there ever will be such a thing again.  It will be interesting to see what he comes back like.  I think he has a foot injury (stress fracture) which can be chronic.  My guess is that you better be happy with Lamb alone in that trade.  The trade would clear up some room for Brunson and DSF though.  I think I would prefer to try and get THJ playing better and then trade him unless you are certain Warren will come back strong.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - cow - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 05:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So do you think: 

A) they've decided to go into tax territory (and either pay it or shed salary at next year's deadline) by re-signing Brunson/DFS? 

B) they'll try to shed salary, either at this TDL or over the summer, by moving someone besides THJ?

C) they will simply not re-sign Brunson, THJ or both?

I'm THJ's biggest fan here (for sure) and even I think it's clear he's not giving them a good return on his contract, so far.

-I think there is a very real chance Brunson gets traded.  If he makes it to free agency, there is a very real chance someone will pay him more than the MBT are comfortable with.  I've said this before but if I'm Jalen, my negotiation with the Mavs starts at THJ's contract.  He plays better and is more valuable to the team, so why wouldn't he ask for that type of contract?  And much like THJ, I just don't think he's worth that much money.  Sorry to harp, but it's another reason why the THJ was terrible.  Atlanta knew what they had and were happy to let the Knicks overpay.  The Knicks were glad to be rid of him.  We are the only team to have repeated the mistake with him.  He's a $12m per type of player.

-Speaking of THJ, I think he is being shopped, but they just aren't going to salary dump him.  His contract sucks but I don't think it's unmovable or expensive to do so.  He's a good teammate and wants to be here.  I think the size of his contract is also valuable if you want an upgrade (think along the line of Grant or McCollum) if we want to spend other assets to do so, you still need salary matching.  

-I'm assuming C is DFS and not THJ.  DFS is going to command a much smaller contract so I think the intention is to keep him.

Also, I don't consider THJ a Nico signing.  I think this up-coming offseason will be the one to give him credit for.

(01-24-2022, 08:58 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Ben Simmons has a great deal of issues but their caliber as players are worlds apart in my opinion.

Smart is owed 143M for the next four years. I don't think that is worth what he will give you.

Their on court impact has not been nearly as far apart as their talent, and there is no reason to think that is going to change.

(01-24-2022, 08:21 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I hppe there is some way the Mavs can trade for Robert Covington. Ideally for the Mavs reserves like Boban, Burke, and S. Brown and two 2nd round picks for Covington.

He would play the back up PF minutes, alleviating DFS of that responsibility and allowing him to play exclusively at the SF position.

Or maybe trade Reggie Bullock plus a 2nd round pick/s for Robert Covington. Portland may want Bullock to improve their defense. I think Bullock is a good on-ball and PNR defender who the Blazers may value.

There is no way they are going take our junk and a couple of 2nds for Covington, but there might be a chance with Bullock.  That would be a huge upgrade.  I'm guessing if we got Covington he would start and Maxi would be the backup.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - cow - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 09:05 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: It is actually 77M for the next four years. My bad. Still too much money.

Smart's extension is kind of brutal.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL: Feb 10, 2 pm |HOU might want WB for Wall?| BKN shopping Milsap - F Gump - 01-24-2022

(01-24-2022, 06:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Gotcha. 

So isn't a more simple THJ/Harris swap, just letting Harris walk a little better? 

I'd be tempted to make a deal like that and view a retained Brunson and DFS as the real prize.

Let me be clear - the whole point of my idea is with the end goal of keeping both JB and DFS.

My thinking on why just letting Harris walk would not be better is: Obviously you can't get THJ on next year's team for 10M. It's 19M or not at all. I don't think he's going to be worth 19M, either now or later, which I see as a real problem.

But if for 10-11M (ie, MLE or so) you can get most of what THJ is, with some possible upside, I think that's a plus. It does mean you've only saved 9M when swapping THJ for Harris, but that's why the rest of the deal .... where you get Lopez (who saves 6M off of DP salary, and likely can do all of what DP does for that price) and you move Burke (saving 3M next year, and clearing a roster slot/role for Dragic this year).

(01-24-2022, 10:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: There is no way they are going take our junk and a couple of 2nds for Covington, but there might be a chance with Bullock.  That would be a huge upgrade.  I'm guessing if we got Covington he would start and Maxi would be the backup.

That is interesting.   I need to watch more of Covington.  I fully expect Bullock and Hardaway to be here after the trading deadline.   

Although just for thoughts, a Covington for Bullock trade is interesting.  Covington is more of a power forward and he and Maxi can share those minutes.  Bullock is more of wing defender.   Question is does Bullock provide any value for Portland??

One step further, what happened if you could then move Hardaway to a team, Toronto gets something from that X team, and Dallas gets Dragic.

Does Dragic plus Covington improve this team if they replaced Bullock and Hardaway?