MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - mvossman - 12-23-2021

(12-23-2021, 10:15 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: The hard part to figure out with Jalen, to stay with the analogy, is he really "attractive" or is it just because we are nearly "closing time" (contract year)?  I like the guy and think he's a hard worker, he's obviously a winner if you follow his career, and he's definitely in the category of what Nick Saban would call an "and" guy and not a "but" guy, but can he keep the production up or is the "contract year" thing, that honestly, seems to be playing out with THJ?

So, does he get paid and production levels off or does he keep improving?   If it's the former, it's a sell high situation and get what you can...maybe with DoeDoe (contract year) too, but who knows?  That's the question...is he what we need going forward and improving or do we parlay that into a better player?

The Mavs actually faced this same issue about 12-13 years ago with another player that they had drafted (well, draft night trade) that was improving, and they traded Devin Harris for Jason Kidd and won a championship...so, they've been here before.  I really didn't want them to trade Harris, because he was improving and it felt more right to win it with one of "our guys", but I was wrong...we'll see now.

I'm not worried about Jalen being in a contract year, but there are a lot of things to worry about.  Does he really fit into the starting lineup with Luka from a defensive standpoint?  Does he want to be here if he is not starting?  Does he want to be here even if he is starting?  How much is he going to cost?  Do we want to pay 15+ for an ideally 6th man?  How are we going to stay under the tax and sign Brunson to a big contract?

I don't thing there is much chance we are going to trade him for a missing piece to a championship anytime soon, but there are a lot reasons to go ahead and pull the trigger at the TDL.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - RedFlag41 - 12-25-2021

What about trade KP, Moses Brown for Gordon Hayward.

I think KP and Hayward has about the same value. Both have injury issues, both have been an All Star once. KP is young and has upside while Hayward has playoff experience. Hornets has a need for center. Moses, as a young center with upside, is a thrown-in to add value to KP.

In Hayward, the Mavs will have a second banana scorer and playmaker. Can play SG, SF, PF. Can run the offense through him, can facilitate, can get his own bucket if needed.

KP will be the PF/Center that Hornets need.

I also imagine the Mavs trading THJ, Brunson and picks for Jerami Grant.

Grant can defend and score.

I imagine a starting line up of:

Pg Luka
SG Hayward
SF Grant
PF DFS
C Maxi

Hayward will play SG on offense but will defend forwards on defense while Grant and DFS will be the primary perimeter defenders. Maxi will sread the floor as a stretch 5 and must play the roll-man on offense.

That line up can play a switching defense if the like.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-25-2021

(12-25-2021, 10:03 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: What about trade KP, Moses Brown for Gordon Hayward.

I think both moves make a lot of sense from Mavs perspective. Mavs would get a modern core around Luka that would make sense and it would also allow to play Powell with those wings. It would be quite easy to merge those two deals. I would try to keep Brunson and even THJ and only trade picks for Grant.

Charlotte is one of rare teams that could see value in KP as they definitely need a center. There are though some other high profile and cheaper options reportedly on the block: Nurkic, Turner and Sabonis. I would imagine Indiana would be looking rather for younger pieces than Hayward, if they are serious about the rebuild. From these perspective KP could be a benefit for Charlotte as he would allow them to keep younger players and picks. I am not sure if KP really has lower value than Hayward as he is much younger. 

So my three team deal would look like:
Dal: Grant, Hayward
Cha: KP
Det: Bullock (or Kleber), Green, 2 FRP

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - mvossman - 12-25-2021

(12-25-2021, 10:03 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: What about trade KP, Moses Brown for Gordon Hayward.

I think KP and Hayward has about the same value. Both have injury issues, both have been an All Star once. KP is young and has upside while Hayward has playoff experience. Hornets has a need for center. Moses, as a young center with upside, is a thrown-in to add value to KP.

In Hayward, the Mavs will have a second banana scorer and playmaker. Can play SG, SF, PF. Can run the offense through him, can facilitate, can get his own bucket if needed.

KP will be the PF/Center that Hornets need.

Grant can defend and score.

I imagine a starting line up of:

Pg Luka
SG Hayward
SF Grant
PF DFS
C Maxi

Hayward will play SG on offense but will defend forwards on defense while Grant and DFS will be the primary perimeter defenders. Maxi will sread the floor as a stretch 5 and must play the roll-man on offense.

That line up can play a switching defense if the like.

I was all for trading KP for Hayward in the offseason.  Then its a no brainer to sign Holmes as the center and you still have 20 mil.  Knowing this FO it would still be THJ, but a Holmes/DFS/Hayward/THJ/Luka starting lineup would be really good.

However as I look at it now, Hayward has never been close to the player he was prior to the injury, has had availability issues nearly as bad as KP and is 31.  I wonder if we wont be saying the same things about him as we do about KP soon after we got him.

If you are trading KP, you need a center.  Maxi is a good small ball center, but he does not have the durability to be a full time starter at center and the options after that are bleak.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - mvossman - 12-25-2021

(12-25-2021, 12:20 PM)omahen Wrote: I think both moves make a lot of sense from Mavs perspective. Mavs would get a modern core around Luka that would make sense and it would also allow to play Powell with those wings. It would be quite easy to merge those two deals. I would try to keep Brunson and even THJ and only trade picks for Grant.

Charlotte is one of rare teams that could see value in KP as they definitely need a center. There are though some other high profile and cheaper options reportedly on the block: Nurkic, Turner and Sabonis. I would imagine Indiana would be looking rather for younger pieces than Hayward, if they are serious about the rebuild. From these perspective KP could be a benefit for Charlotte as he would allow them to keep younger players and picks. I am not sure if KP really has lower value than Hayward as he is much younger. 

So my three team deal would look like:
Dal: Grant, Hayward
Cha: KP
Det: Bullock (or Kleber), Green, 2 FRP

So in this scenario assuming we sign DFS and Brunson we will be more than 25 mil over the tax line and burned every asset we have.  Is that team (a team you are starting Powell at center) good enough to go all in on?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-25-2021

(12-25-2021, 03:50 PM)mvossman Wrote: So in this scenario assuming we sign DFS and Brunson we will be more than 25 mil over the tax line and burned every asset we have.  Is that team (a team you are starting Powell at center) good enough to go all in on?

I think the top 7 rotation in the playoffs are Luka-Grant-Hayward-DFS-Maxi-Brunson-THJ. Actually very good rotation and this is a team that could survive with a very average center in the regular season, imho. Powell might even look and work very well in this kind of line-up.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - RedFlag41 - 12-25-2021

In my Luka, Hayward, Grant, DFS line up idea, I imagined Marquess Chriss playing significant minutes at the 5. He is bulkier, stronger center and a better roll man and can bang inside for rebounds and put backs. I put Maxi as the starting C to give have the best offensive line up from the beginning. But, I think they need someone like Chriss who can guard the bigger fives but also has the foot speed to guard perimeter players in pick and rolls.

They can also play Kleber at the 4 alongside Chriss when they face bigger 4-5 front courts.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - mvossman - 12-26-2021

(12-25-2021, 04:36 PM)omahen Wrote: I think the top 7 rotation in the playoffs are Luka-Grant-Hayward-DFS-Maxi-Brunson-THJ. Actually very good rotation and this is a team that could survive with a very average center in the regular season, imho. Powell might even look and work very well in this kind of line-up.

That is a good team, but I don't think its a contender.  With three poor defenders (Luka/THJ/Brunson), no elite defenders, and very limited rim protection, its hard to see that team being more than average defensively.

I just don't see Cuban trading all of his picks and going deep into tax for a player unless he is a "star", and Grant does not fall into that category.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-26-2021

(12-26-2021, 11:46 AM)mvossman Wrote: That is a good team, but I don't think its a contender.  With three poor defenders (Luka/THJ/Brunson), no elite defenders, and very limited rim protection, its hard to see that team being more than average defensively.

I think you remove KP out of equation which makes building around Luka much easier, imho. I think building a respectable defense with Luka-KP is very difficult and leaves no space for guys like Brunson and THJ. With KP out, you can play a switch heavy defense at all times and the team can survive one of Brunson or THJ on court with them. I think Powell/Kleber would be totally fine at center, with Powell taking more minutes in regular season and Kleber having the heavy load in playoffs. DFS is your point of attack defender and Grant has best wing. Enough wings to throw against teams like Clippers.

(12-26-2021, 11:46 AM)mvossman Wrote: I just don't see Cuban trading all of his picks and going deep into tax for a player unless he is a "star", and Grant does not fall into that category.

With the KP-Bullock-Green for Hayward-Grant the Mavs get to 141 before DFS/Brunson. No realistic way to avoid tax other than letting Brunson/DFS walk. However, both Grant and Hayward (and Powell and Kleber) expire a season after, so Mavs could get out of tax if needed. I think there is very little possibility for Mavs to stay competitive and avoid paying tax. Cuban will have to open his pockets. At least this way they are competitive, imho.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - mvossman - 12-26-2021

(12-26-2021, 12:22 PM)omahen Wrote: With the KP-Bullock-Green for Hayward-Grant the Mavs get to 141 before DFS/Brunson. No realistic way to avoid tax other than letting Brunson/DFS walk. However, both Grant and Hayward (and Powell and Kleber) expire a season after, so Mavs could get out of tax if needed. I think there is very little possibility for Mavs to stay competitive and avoid paying tax. Cuban will have to open his pockets. At least this way they are competitive, imho.

If you spend all of your assets on Grant and Hayward, and then let them walk in a year to avoid the tax, you have obviously made a terrible mistake.  I think you need to temper your desire to be "competitive" next year with a need to look at long term future.  The goal is not to be competitive now as much as its to be competitive in 25 onward (when Luka starts thinking about staying or leaving).

I think you should probably brace yourself for the likelihood that Cuban is not going to pay the tax next year.  It might have been different if they had a more productive offseason and looked like they were one piece away, but that did not happen.  With a terrible free agent pool, limited access to picks and virtually no assets with Brunson/DFS being UFA, they are very likely going to do a small reset to stay under the tax and prepare for making bigger moves in 2023.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-26-2021

(12-26-2021, 01:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: If you spend all of your assets on Grant and Hayward, and then let them walk in a year to avoid the tax, you have obviously made a terrible mistake.  I think you need to temper your desire to be "competitive" next year with a need to look at long term future.  The goal is not to be competitive now as much as its to be competitive in 25 onward (when Luka starts thinking about staying or leaving).

I think you should probably brace yourself for the likelihood that Cuban is not going to pay the tax next year.  It might have been different if they had a more productive offseason and looked like they were one piece away, but that did not happen.  With a terrible free agent pool, limited access to picks and virtually no assets with Brunson/DFS being UFA, they are very likely going to do a small reset to stay under the tax and prepare for making bigger moves in 2023.

I think it is very likely Mavs sit out TDL again other than some little cosmetic trade like Redick last season.

However, if I was GM and Grant (or someone similar) was a possibility, I pull the trigger. There is absolutely zero guarantee for me that someone good will be available in 2023, 2024 or whenever. I think last three seasons should give us that lesson. If there is one thing, you are really never out of assets. Lets say 2025 and 2027 are traded at TDL. You still have 2022 on draft night. 

If you are thinking about the reset, than it should be again done at TDL, imho. Determine which pieces are part of future and trade rest for assets and flexibility. I would also seriously consider a mini tank this season to maximize 2022 pick. 

(12-26-2021, 01:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: f you spend all of your assets on Grant and Hayward, and then let them walk in a year to avoid the tax, you have obviously made a terrible mistake.

Grant will likely command more money, but Haywards next contract will very likely be much cheaper. Same certainly goes for Powell and probably Kleber too.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Jym - 12-26-2021

(12-26-2021, 01:34 PM)mvossman Wrote: stay under the tax and prepare for making bigger moves in 2023.

Honestly I'm not going to have an ounce of ill-will towards Luka if he forces himself out in several years if the tax is still a major sticking point
When did Cuban turn into Sarver?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Mavs2021 - 12-26-2021

(12-26-2021, 01:48 PM)omahen Wrote: I think it is very likely Mavs sit out TDL again other than some little cosmetic trade like Redick last season.

He traded for JJ Redick, so he could get some positive national publicity through the podcasting network of his friend Bill Simmons. It´s con artist 101. Redick, Sarge, Satnam, Boban. Not even clown shows like the Kings do such pathetic PR moves with their salary cap and draft assets.

(12-26-2021, 02:03 PM)Jym Wrote: Honestly I'm not going to have an ounce of ill-will towards Luka if he forces himself out in several years if the tax is still a major sticking point
When did Cuban turn into Sarver?

I think you can make a strong argument that it does not make a lot of sense to go into tax next year with this current team, but I agree if Cuban is still avoiding the tax in a couple of years then we might as well trade Luka for a bushel of picks and Mark needs to sell the team.

There is a theory out there that "plan powder" has at least partly been a method to limit spending.  We will see how true that is over the next couple of years.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Kammrath - 12-26-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1475279099492974593

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - RedFlag41 - 12-26-2021

I think Grant is still being underrated a little bit. I think he can be a legit 3rd banana who fits with Luka. A defensive stud who is not a liability on offense and who can energize the team whenever needed.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - mvossman - 12-27-2021

(12-26-2021, 09:14 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I think Grant is still being underrated a little bit. I think he can be a legit 3rd banana who fits with Luka. A defensive stud who is not a liability on offense and who can energize the team whenever needed.

See I was thinking he was a bit overrated.  I don't really think he is a stud defender.  I think he is a lot like DFS in that he is a little above average with versatility being his biggest strength.  He is a quality starter and would be a good fit on the team.  Just don't know that I want to pay 2 firsts for a one year rental of him.  I don't see this team being a contender next year and that is the kind of a move a potential contender would make.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Chicagojk - 12-27-2021

(12-27-2021, 11:58 AM)mvossman Wrote: See I was thinking he was a bit overrated.  I don't really think he is a stud defender.  I think he is a lot like DFS in that he is a little above average with versatility being his biggest strength.  He is a quality starter and would be a good fit on the team.  Just don't know that I want to pay 2 firsts for a one year rental of him.  I don't see this team being a contender next year and that is the kind of a move a potential contender would make.

I tend to agree.   Grant was better than I expected last year.   Before getting injured, I believe his play had slipped this year.  Now playing for a doormat may be one of those reasons.  But when I envision a final piece, I am looking for someone a little higher tier.   I am not certain Grant is a surefire 2.5 player on a championship team.  And we need a 2 or a 2.5 depending on how you view KP future here.   

The reason I am hesitant to go all in now is 1) it is a sellers market now and prices are elevated and 2) I am still not certain at what we have only to know we need more talent.   

So short term, I think internal development needs to be the focus.   Get the players back to playing their previous levels and improve on your younger players.  That won't make us a serious contender but it puts us in a much better place of winning more games and having more attractive assets.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - RedFlag41 - 12-27-2021

You are all probably right. The more prudent course of action is to conserve assets and develop players the team already have and either make them part of a future contending team or flip them for more assets or better players. But, I just think that the Mavs with Luka playing his best still has a shot to make it all the way as long he has the a supporting cast who will plug his weaknesses and will give him the most opportunities to succeed. And I think that is by surrounding him with enough two-way players who will not be liabilities either way. I really want the team to compete every time and not watch them lose and try to rebuild with the hope that they will someday maybe compete. I want them to compete now.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Jym - 12-28-2021

(12-27-2021, 08:23 PM)RedFlag41 Wrote: You are all probably right. The more prudent course of action is to conserve assets and develop players the team already have and either make them part of a future contending team or flip them for more assets or better players. But, I just think that the Mavs with Luka playing his best still has a shot to make it all the way as long he has the a supporting cast who will plug his weaknesses and will give him the most opportunities to succeed. And I think that is by surrounding him with enough two-way players who will not be liabilities either way. I really want the team to compete every time and not watch them lose and try to rebuild with the hope that they will someday maybe compete. I want them to compete now.

I really wish would have went all-in 2 years ago
The league has been so wide open. Nothing all that special about the Suns. A few upgrades and I think we would have been right there with them and fighting for a Finals spot last year