MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - fifteenth - 12-17-2021

(12-17-2021, 12:12 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure Mavs are there to throw FRP at 33 year old role players.

[Image: no-noooo.gif]

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Fuerza1 - 12-17-2021

(12-17-2021, 07:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: He would be perfect fit with Luka. Get him here, even if it means trading KP.

Players we could add if not KP: THJ, Bullock, Powell.

Yeah, Sabonis > KP and it's not really close but I think Mavs will need to go hard for a strong defensive PF to pair with him. I see Sabonis more as a center a la Jokic. Bruising, rebounding, average defense. 

Problem is I don't see any way KP ever shows up to a Rick Carlisle run Indiana Pacers practice let alone game. I think we'd need a third team. 

A player I really think should be a target is PJ Washington. Lost his starting PF spot due to Bridges' emergence but he fills a lot of DAL needs; long, switchable, can play 4/5, and shoot from outside. 

Sabonis + Washington is my pipe dream pairing.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-17-2021

(12-17-2021, 03:25 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: A player I really think should be a target is PJ Washington.

Good name. Unfortunately, I think Charlotte would have little motivation to move him unless the offer is really good. Cost controlled for another season, restricted afterwards. 

But lets dream Smile KP for Hayward and PJ, than THJ and a pick or two for Sabonis.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - WildArkieBoy - 12-17-2021

Human nature says a newly-minted GM will want to make a splash on his first trade deadline.  Can't imagine Nico having the nerve to sit pat his first go around.  As for Coach Kidd pumping up trade value, that goes against an unproven coach's survival instinct.  He's here to win games, not accommodate or enhance trades.  The Cuban challenge?  Say nothing.  Let your new hires earn their pay.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Mikelo - 12-18-2021

Fit matters in my opinion. Add Sabonis, which is a chimera ... (remember that Rick is in Indiana and doesn't like KP) and they won't trade him for mediocre RPGs) ... we're trying to build a solid defense and Domantas is a terrible defender, we don't have the boys to make up for Luka and Sabonis..Nor can he shoot 3, which is the basis of our game .. In my opinion, we need a long, Athletic, Bidirectional Wing / Forward ... a profile..Siakam / Isaak would be perfect, to add them to Luka / KP ... (Reddish / Clarke / Washinton) would be other options ... and Depending on who we catch, fix post 2 later.
Trade 1
THJ / Maxi / Mavs 26 to NOP. Valanciunas / Brunson RAPTORS.. Siakam to MAVS

Trade 2
Powell / WCS / 2 Round to HOUSTON. Gordon / Theis to MAVS
(Houston saves a ton.)

Trade 3
Bullock to Knicks
Kemba to Mavs

KP/Brown/Boban
Siakam/Theis
DFS/Green
Gordon/Frank
Luka/Kemba/Burke

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - ClutchDirk - 12-18-2021

Posted by Sam Stetz on Discord just now...

Brian Windhorst on the Pacers: They might trade one, they might trade two players. I would think Caris LeVert and Myles Turner, most likely in that order, from what I understand. I know there’s a lot of discussion about Sabonis out there, that there’s a lot of people claiming various things. I haven’t heard Sabonis’ name in the trade market. Brian Windhorst: I talked to an executive this week who told me every single Portland Trail Blazer is available with the exception of Damian (Lillard).

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - ClutchDirk - 12-18-2021

Windhorst: There’s been a number of rumors that have gone around the league in the last few weeks about Ben Simmons trade involving the Morey quarangular. That would be Philadelphia, Minnesota, the Kings, and the Rockets. … Let’s just say there has been a lot of discussion. I’ve had executives tell me that when Ben Simmons gets traded, it will include one or more of the quadrangular. Not that that’s where Ben Simmons would go, but they would probably be involved, because a Ben Simmons trade likely ends up being a multi-team deal. MacMahon: The Rockets have been much better lately, but they get ‘Hey, this is very early in a rebuild.’ So they’re trying to wedge their way in and get ammo for a rebuild, for sure. –

Tim Bontemps: I think it was widely going into the season, ‘De’Aaron Fox is off the table’. I’ve heard a lot of smoke that might not be the case at this point

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-19-2021

Not rumors, theories. 

Mavs targets: Turner, Sabonis, Grant

Mavs players mentioned (out of 90 targets Mavs get two mentions...):
- Chicago with Bullock (but as a third option for them behind Barnes and Reddish)
- Phoenix with Bullock (again as third option behind T.Young and RoCo)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951552-updated-trade-target-lists-for-every-nba-team

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-20-2021

I have said a couple of times. Convince a player, even if under contract, he wants to come and the deal will work out. Mentions Mavs among the teams that could use Grant

I’m still not 100 percent confident that Grant gets traded during the season, but if he does, my hunch is that it was agreed on by both parties. I don’t think Grant would be blindsided. Weaver doesn’t operate like that, and he and Grant have a relationship that goes back further than Detroit.

Pistons mailbag: Does Detroit have a trade to make? What is the team’s competitive timeline? – The Athletic

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - RedFlag41 - 12-21-2021

Since many Mavs fans seem to want to blow the team up or have a major shake up happen. I was wondering, would you trade JB, KP for Ben Simmons?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - SleepingHero - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 06:07 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Since many Mavs fans seem to want to blow the team up or have a major shake up happen. I was wondering, would you trade JB, KP for Ben Simmons?

Never in a million years. 

Spending our last 2 assets for a player like Simmons is too desperate for me.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - ballsrchr - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 06:07 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: Since many Mavs fans seem to want to blow the team up or have a major shake up happen. I was wondering, would you trade JB, KP for Ben Simmons?

I don't think I would.  There are a large number of reasons why that I won't get into right now.  Suffice it to say that I'm tired of bringing in troublesome players that don't put out the effort or have psychological problems.  This doesn't mean I'm not open to trading JB and KP.

When healthy KP is a very good player.  He has some bad habits and unrealistic expectations of who and what he is on the floor, but...he is pretty good.  Unfortunately he is always going to have injury problems and must be time managed and cared for like a porcelain doll.  I would do my best to manage his health, and show place him for a trade.  Probably for a loss, but if managed right, could foster some good will with a few other teams.  The MAVS need some of that good will...

JB is UFA for 2022.  I seriously doubt that the MAVS can afford to retain him...or should retain him.  Good ball handler, penetrates well, plays great in the paint, can do double duty as a point guard...but seems to be best as a shooting guard....off the bench.  Though he tries very hard...is limited on defense.  We need to trade him while we can rather than letting him go for a bag of potato chips...

The new and revamped MBT needs to make some precise, judicious, intelligent moves through trades and draft.  I continue to say that, at the moment, the team needs to be built around a single person--Luka.  That is not ideal.  We should have 2 or 3 players that are cornerstones of the build.  I see no reason why the team can't be held at a high level year after year through good trades and drafting.  It would be interesting to study the people who really are responsible for managing a high level team.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-21-2021

I think Simmons is a good player, arguably better than KP, but this move alone doesn't improve Mavs. They still need one good player. I think it is better to keep KP and bring in that good player using remaining contracts and assets.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - Chicagojk - 12-21-2021

I have never really given the Ben Simmons talk much thought.   I just don't think Morey would be interested in our assets.   KP doesn't fit with Embid imo, plus would be another huge injury risk at high dollar.   Brunson playing in Philly would work, but I don't think adding another smaller guard to Maxey and Curry would be the direction Morey goes.  Morey is still star searching.    

In the perfect world having Simmons be your Pippen to Luka's Jordan would be intriguing.   Although I have no idea where Simmons is mentally and if you can count on him in big series.   Either way, I don't think it is not a realistic path for us.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - cow - 12-21-2021

(12-21-2021, 09:47 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I just don't think Morey would be interested in our assets.  

This is why I don't put a lot of serious thought into it.  I too think Morey aims a lot higher than our offering.  A 3rd team could always be involved but my guess is that they'd want to return Simmons and to pry him away in the deal, you'd also need to give up picks which I'm hoping we'd all be out on.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - omahen - 12-21-2021

If you are NY, would you switch our protected 2023 pick for 2022 unprotrected? Based on where Mavs are now, this would not be just a very tempting option but something a little asset would be worth paying, imho. 

That would give Mavs 2024, 2026 and 2028 picks to trade, plus pick swaps. I guess this could become an asset base to discuss even some top players if one team decides to blow it up. I think limitations regarding the unavailable assets are in our heads only. Of course you need to convince a top player (or any good player) he actually wants to be in Dallas.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons out for mental health | Ayton "very unhappy" in PHX - cow - 12-21-2021

Trading future picks is about the worst thing we could do right now.

(12-21-2021, 03:05 PM)cow Wrote: Trading future picks is about the worst thing we could do right now.

Trading future picks is about the only thing Mavs can do to improve the roster right now. This season is a dissapointment but Mavs are not rebuild level bad. And if you think about rebuilding at this stage, you may as well include Luka into it and start from scratch.

Sometimes you have to take your medicine.  I'll take my chances on Luka leaving.  I'm not short sided enough to mortgage a team's future when those picks have zero chance of making the current roster construction a contender.

(12-21-2021, 03:12 PM)cow Wrote: I'm not short sided enough to mortgage a team's future when those picks have zero chance of making the current roster construction a contender.

I disagree with this. I still think Mavs are one good player away from being serious. Luka-KP-one good player would be serious. And I feel sorry for you if your optimal team future is years of tanking after years of tanking. Mavs can try it with this team and have their years of tanking afterwards, if they wish so.