MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - SleepingHero - 10-07-2021

Brogdon theoretically is exactly what Philly needs from the 1. Lavert is a dynamic scorer much like Butler. I think it would work out quite well for them provided those 2 stay healthy.

Don't see why the Pacers do it though. Ben's issues will just carry over and its not like their team is built for him and his playstyle.

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - Mavsfan12 - 10-07-2021

Ind would be in it for adding a star and then building around him when we can situation.  Because adding Simmons and taking off those two makes them the worst shooting team in the league without exception.  Like worse than the Lakers bad...

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - dirkfansince1998 - 10-07-2021

I think if they add Simmons Sabonis needs to go. Makes no sense to just repeat the already failed attempt to pair Simmons with a high usage inside big. 76ers also have no use for another high volume big next to Embiid. They would need to find a 3rd team.
Brogdon and Levert are (at least on paper) good fits next to Simmons. Both can shoot. Both can handle the ball. Would try to keep at least one of them.

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - ClutchDirk - 10-07-2021

http://bleacherreport.com/post/nba/018915d2-6cc5-4797-82e9-d55ef9e4cbac

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - SleepingHero - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 04:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think if they add Simmons Sabonis needs to go. Makes no sense to just repeat the already failed attempt to pair Simmons with a high usage inside big. 76ers also have no use for another high volume big next to Embiid. They would need to find a 3rd team.
Brogdon and Levert are (at least on paper) good fits next to Simmons. Both can shoot. Both can handle the ball. Would try to keep at least one of them.

Would you try and cash in whatever assets the Mavs have left for Sabonis?

Perhaps even a KP trade?

How do you think a KP+Sabonis front court would fair? 

Me personally I think Sabonis is one of the few bigs that would work well next to KP. He can roll, pass, and even shoot a little. Especially from mid range.

Only reason why I bring it up is because the Mavs role players carry some special value given that RC is there. Powell, Kleber, and Brunson could be seen as a higher value to him than to another team. Add on the necessary draft compensation and perhaps you have a strong package for Sabonis.

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - dirkfansince1998 - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 05:24 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Would you try and cash in whatever assets the Mavs have left for Sabonis?

Perhaps even a KP trade?

How do you think a KP+Sabonis front court would fair? 

Me personally I think Sabonis is one of the few bigs that would work well next to KP. He can roll, pass, and even shoot a little. Especially from mid range.

Only reason why I bring it up is because the Mavs role players carry some special value given that RC is there. Powell, Kleber, and Brunson could be seen as a higher value to him than to another team. Add on the necessary draft compensation and perhaps you have a strong package for Sabonis.

I can easily imagine the offensive fit. In all mentioned scenarios my main concern would be the defensive end. Even if KP improves I would prefer to have a better defender next to him. Ideally someone that can defend the perimeter. Sabonis is basically the worst case scenario when it comes to bigmen defense. No rim protection. No perimeter defense.
Reasoning in a KP for Sabonis scenario is similar. Maybe he adds another dimension to the offense but I really don´t want a net negative at the most important defensive position in the game. That´s the reason why I am so low on KP right now.

Also have to mention that the last two times I saw Sabonis play he was really bad on both ends. Borderline unplayable in the play-in tournament. Exposed by Luka and team Slovenia in the olympic qualifier.

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - dynamicalVoid - 10-07-2021

no no no to Sabonis

even if we get him and he tears it up...risk reward is out of wack imo

league is moving away from guys like Sabonis.  he can score a little but man he has been no where near ALL STAR level player when i have seen him.   dont know how he got ALL STAR

helllll no

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - ClutchDirk - 10-08-2021

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1446460390167171072

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - omahen - 10-08-2021

More opportunities if one would have a TE and looking to collect some assets

Teams are looking at a huge payout if they can stay below it – we’re talking about $10 million per team, depending on how far over the league’s most profligate teams remain – which is a much bigger incentive for Boston than the small penalty for being slightly over the line.

If the Celtics waive the non-guaranteed Jabari Parker they will enter the year $4.5 million into the tax; using cash or second-rounder picks to drop off a couple of unwanted contracts (candidates include Grant Williams, Romeo Langford and surely Fernando) can fairly painlessly get the Celtics back under.

https://theathletic.com/2865703/2021/10/08/hollingers-2021-22-boston-celtics-preview-lineup-roster-prediction-did-they-fix-the-frontcourt/

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - Mavs2021 - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 08:55 AM)omahen Wrote: More opportunities if one would have a TE and looking to collect some assets

Teams are looking at a huge payout if they can stay below it – we’re talking about $10 million per team, depending on how far over the league’s most profligate teams remain – which is a much bigger incentive for Boston than the small penalty for being slightly over the line.

If the Celtics waive the non-guaranteed Jabari Parker they will enter the year $4.5 million into the tax; using cash or second-rounder picks to drop off a couple of unwanted contracts (candidates include Grant Williams, Romeo Langford and surely Fernando) can fairly painlessly get the Celtics back under.

https://theathletic.com/2865703/2021/10/08/hollingers-2021-22-boston-celtics-preview-lineup-roster-prediction-did-they-fix-the-frontcourt/

Don´t do it to yourself. It´s been nearly 20 years of Cuban and it has not happened once that the Mavs took on a bad contract for draft compensation. It might be what 29 other teams in this league do (rarely, sometimes, regularly, depending on the situation), but we have never done it, under any circumstances. You can assume the new management will change things, but don´t get your hopes up. It´s still Cuban.

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - michaeltex - 10-08-2021

(10-07-2021, 04:43 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Ind would be in it for adding a star and then building around him when we can situation.  Because adding Simmons and taking off those two makes them the worst shooting team in the league without exception.  Like worse than the Lakers bad...

I'm trying to envision Carlisle's reaction when Simmons chokes up during crunch time...

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - SleepingHero - 10-08-2021

(10-08-2021, 08:55 AM)omahen Wrote: More opportunities if one would have a TE and looking to collect some assets

If there was ever a time where a TPE can be used for maximum assets, now's the time. Mavs even have about 15mil of wiggle room to stay under the tax. 

Philly is borderline at the tax right now. I wonder how motivated they'd be to get under it? They have Seth Curry and Danny Green as guys who fit in the TPE. 

Toronto is also a tax paying team currently. *Insert yet another Dragic to Mavs idea here*

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - Kammrath - 10-12-2021

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1448070284691578884

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons says he will not come to training camp in PHI - Mapka - 10-13-2021

(10-08-2021, 09:53 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Don´t do it to yourself. It´s been nearly 20 years of Cuban and it has not happened once that the Mavs took on a bad contract for draft compensation. It might be what 29 other teams in this league do (rarely, sometimes, regularly, depending on the situation), but we have never done it, under any circumstances. You can assume the new management will change things, but don´t get your hopes up. It´s still Cuban.

Looks at the "KP-trade" - no not for draft compensation.
But maybe we were never offered something at the right time.

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons starts working out with PHI - Kammrath - 10-13-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1448289144854261769

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons starts working out with PHI - Kammrath - 10-13-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1448292813939040259

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1448183249902080000

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons starts working out with PHI - SamStetz - 10-13-2021

From Fishers Article: 

Philadelphia's most recent list of interested front offices, to varying degrees, still stands at nine known teams, sources said. In alphabetical order: Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Indiana, Minnesota, Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio and Toronto have all remained engaged with Philadelphia. 

There is a 10th “mystery” franchise that has held substantial trade conversations with Philadelphia of late, sources told B/R, yet it remains unclear, even to members of Klutch Sports, who this purported additional suitor is. No team, however, has come near Morey and the Sixers' firm asking price for Simmons, with simultaneous goals to further their championship contention around Embiid and remain in play to some day acquire a potentially available superstar—either from Portland or Washington, or some other unexpected franchise that will eventually arise.

Who is this mystery team…?

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons starts working out with PHI - Chicagojk - 10-13-2021

I think the Sixers did as expected and did not cave into demands with a player with 4 years left on his contract.  Right now they are not in a strong position and the league knows it.   I will be surprised if Simmons is with the team a year from now.

As reports indicate, I think Lilliard and Beal are the two targets for Morey.  I think Lilliard is a long shot, but I do think Beal could be interesting if Washington gets off to a slow start.   Washington made a lot of moves and they clearly think of themselves as a playoff team.   I could see them as a 6-7 seed, but I can also things getting really bad.   I could see Simmons as an attractive target if Washington decides to blow things up.   Although, other teams may have younger, cheaper assets that Washington may value more.  

The fun happens now of putting Simmons back into that fanbase for the short term.   Does Simmons play to his potential or does he do the James Harden?   Is he a good soldier or does he drop quotes saying how he wants to be somewhere else soon.   How does the rabid Philly fanbase treat him?   

In all likelihood he comes back and plays pretty well and raises his trade value a little.  Whether it is enough to get a top 15 player is to be determined.   And what happens if Morey can't get a top 15-20 player for him?

RE: 2021 NBA TRADE TALK: Simmons starts working out with PHI - ClutchDirk - 10-13-2021

Hopefully the Mavs are not the mystery team who always keeps everything a secret...