MavsBoard
NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL over (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - cow - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Scroll down a bit and you'll see the Mavs get a new god king in Collins

[img] https://media.giphy.com/media/rDDv72OIYB39K/giphy.gif[/img]

John was an Apostle.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - SleepingHero - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:17 PM)cow Wrote: John was an Apostle.

And Dorian was a picture.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - Davemo - 02-08-2022

Anyone think we might have played Maxi tonight just to show other teams he is now healthy?  Kind of the reverse of players sitting for trade purposes.

Maybe he is involved in a Holmes trade?

I also find it interesting that tre trey is suddenly playing….possible showcase.

I like the KP-Holmes ideas.  I wish I was as good as some of you with cap knowledge.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - cow - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And Dorian was a picture.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - vfromlmf - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah straight up for THJ, not in a Porzingis package. He´s 33 years old, too. No time-line with Luka.

The timeline for Luka is now. Gallinari is a straight up professional scorer. Who cares how old he is. He would be a fantastic weapon off the bench THIS YEAR. 

Look, I get it, everyone wants to build a long term sustainable dynasty of 23 year olds that can play together for 15 years ... but the reality is Gallo can help this team THIS YEAR ...and if they don't win a title his contract can help the Mavs keep guys like DFS and Brunson, so sign me up.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - Kammrath - 02-08-2022

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1491265519051489281

Beal and Collins sounds like a great combination.  Let's go Wizards!

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - DanSchwartzgan - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1491265519051489281

As much as we hate this, it does help make the deals that land Barnes or Bagley in ATL more viable.

Holmes/DP
Maxi/Gallo
DFS/Green
Brunson/Bullock
Luka all 44

That does add some scoring to the bench and while you give some up swapping KP for Holmes, the D will be good and there is a benefit to playing the same type of rim rolling C the entire game.

THJ?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - Mavs2021 - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:22 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: The timeline for Luka is now. Gallinari is a straight up professional scorer. Who cares how old he is. He would be a fantastic weapon off the bench THIS YEAR. 

Look, I get it, everyone wants to build a long term sustainable dynasty of 23 year olds that can play together for 15 years ... but the reality is Gallo can help this team THIS YEAR ...and if they don't win a title his contract can help the Mavs keep guys like DFS and Brunson, so sign me up.

Yeah his no defense 10/4/1 in 23 MPG will be a gigantic help to make the leap from 1st round exit to championship contender NOW.

Then you better hope

1) he stays healthy and
2) he shows up for the play-offs

to give you the precious 10/4. Cry

(02-08-2022, 11:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As much as we hate this, it does help make the deals that land Barnes or Bagley in ATL more viable.

Holmes/DP
Maxi/Gallo
DFS/Green
Brunson/Bullock
Luka all 44

That does add some scoring to the bench and while you give some up swapping KP for Holmes, the D will be good and there is a benefit to playing the same type of rim rolling C the entire game.

THJ?

Can we get some draft compensation coming our way, please?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - DanSchwartzgan - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:31 PM)cow Wrote: Can we get some draft compensation coming our way, please?

OK by me since we are making it up as we go.  Atlanta has all sorts of 22 picks.  Seems to me they would be the one giving up a pick if they are getting Barnes for Gallo (probably less so if they are getting Bagley for Gallo).  Of course, if Collins is going to DC and this becomes a four way, then who knows what happens and as was noted, the books are closed on the Indy/Sac deal yet.  Maybe our new cap expert will earn his money.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - vfromlmf - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:30 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: the precious 10/4

I get it ... stats are stats and Gallo is putting up mediocre numbers. But IMHO this is a great example of how raw stats can be misleading. You have to see how and when Gallinari scores to appreciate what he would bring to this team. For sure, he's not a 20/20 guy ... but he'd be a big time upgrade. 

Just think ... Mavs down by one .... 5 second left ... Luka triple teamed ... he kicks it to _____ for a game winning 15 footer with 3 seconds left ... Do you want Kleber taking that shot or Gallo?

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - Mavs2021 - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:31 PM)cow Wrote: Can we get some draft compensation coming our way, please?

I don´t understand why people want to sabotage us by settling for Gallinari.

Bagley is averaging 9/7.
Gallinari is averaging 10/4.

Minutes are the same, neither plays defense. Both are injury-prone. Bagley is a RFA, Gallinari costs $4M to buy out. Neither makes us a contender this year. 

From a roster building standpoint it´s a horrible idea. To be fair it does have the Cuban fingerprints of short-sighted stupidity all over it, which adds some crediblity to such an idea. Big Grin

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - Tyler - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:29 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As much as we hate this, it does help make the deals that land Barnes or Bagley in ATL more viable.

Holmes/DP
Maxi/Gallo
DFS/Green
Brunson/Bullock
Luka all 44

THJ?

Another interesting tweet today was this cryptic one from Skin Wade that had no obvious context:

https://twitter.com/SkinWade/status/1491123986243141637

If we trade KP for Holmes and Gallo and then deal THJ for Dragic (maybe use the TPE to keep Toronto out of the tax), that fills out your lineup nicely while clearing a crazy amount of cap space this summer. Dallas could be in a whole different situation in terms of financial flexibility. Squeeze Atlanta's '23 1st out of the deal, and the opportunities would be wide open.

(02-08-2022, 11:42 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t understand why people want to sabotage us by settling for Gallinari.

Bagley is averaging 9/7.
Gallinari is averaging 10/4.

Minutes are the same, neither plays defense. Both are injury-prone. Bagley is a RFA, Gallinari costs $4M to buy out. Neither makes us a contender this year. 

From a roster building standpoint it´s a horrible idea. To be fair it does have the Cuban fingerprints of short-sighted stupidity all over it, which adds some crediblity to such an idea. Big Grin

Don't lump me in that crowd.  I survived the Gallo era in Denver.  Like KL said though, Mavs are looking for outside shooting.  

I don't think KP has a ton of value but I'd want payment for taking on Gallo.  Holmes for KP just doesn't feel like enough.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - Jommybone - 02-08-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:42 PM)Tyler Wrote: Another interesting tweet today was this cryptic one from Skin Wade that had no obvious context:

If we trade KP for Holmes and Gallo and then deal THJ for Dragic (maybe use the TPE to keep Toronto out of the tax), that fills out your lineup nicely while clearing a crazy amount of cap space this summer. Dallas could be in a whole different situation in terms of financial flexibility. Squeeze Atlanta's '23 1st out of the deal, and the opportunities would be wide open.

#LeadershipCouncil

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - SleepingHero - 02-08-2022

These cryptic tweets do not help.

(02-08-2022, 11:39 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I get it ... stats are stats and Gallo is putting up mediocre numbers. But IMHO this is a great example of how raw stats can be misleading. You have to see how and when Gallinari scores to appreciate what he would bring to this team. For sure, he's not a 20/20 guy ... but he'd be a big time upgrade. 

Just think ... Mavs down by one .... 5 second left ... Luka triple teamed ... he kicks it to _____ for a game winning 15 footer with 3 seconds left ... Do you want Kleber taking that shot or Gallo?

I want neither to take that shot. Gallinari shot 36/17, 35/30 and 40/32 in his last three play-off performances before a solid play-off run with the Hawks last year. People severely overrate Gallinari and I have been one of his biggest fans. He´s also lost his ability to put the ball on the floor and he remains very injury-prone.

People accuse other teams of being desperate and short-sighted, but trading for and selling Gallinari as a win-now move reeks of desperation. We are not sniffing the NBA finals this year, unless Porzingis brings back Holmes and Lillard or Beal. What we can do is set ourselves up better for the future and therefore Bagley is to be preferred over Gallinari as a controllable expiring contract and a trade asset.

With all due respect, Bagley can't play. Maybe he can resurrect his career with another team. Or maybe his game just doesn't translate to the modern NBA. Who knows. For my part, I'm cool with letting some other team figure that out. 

Gallinari is past his prime but it's like using Reggie Jackson as a pinch hitter. Sure there are younger guys who have higher batting average. But sometimes (in the playoffs) there's no replacement for experience. 

Honestly, this is all academic anyway ... Gallo vs Bagley isn't a real thing ... but if I'm trying to win a first round playoff series with a young savant like Luka, give me the wizened vet 100 times out of 100.

RE: NBA TRADE TALK: TDL Feb 10, 2pm | JC & BS not likely to be moved? - DanSchwartzgan - 02-09-2022

(02-08-2022, 11:42 PM)Tyler Wrote: Another interesting tweet today was this cryptic one from Skin Wade that had no obvious context:

I pulled out the trusty spreadsheet.  It depends on whether Atlanta gets Bagley or Barnes.  If Bagley, Dallas has to take an extra salary (like Harkless).  In that case, it is about $21mm in space and if Atlanta gets Barnes, it is more like $26mm.  The FA class is crap, but if you have picks, maybe you can do a deal for Grant.  Also, BYC isn't a problem if you decide to S&T Brunson or DFS as you'd be doing it with cap space.  It changes a lot of things.

I'm not sure we'd even be going down this path if it wasn't for the Gunn tweet.  But, it is a fascinating threat to unravel.