MavsBoard
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff (/showthread.php?tid=1045)

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - dirkfansince1998 - 06-18-2021

More questions with each report. It´s super difficult to evaluate the roster and coaching decisions of the last few years.
We know a few things about the draft picks and trades. Green, Terry, Wright all Bob´s guys. Know nothing about the coaching aspect.
KPs role. Luka-centric offense. Front court rotation. THJ/JRich minutes. Who made the call?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - SleepingHero - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Who made the call?

Seems like everyone at the same time made a version of a call. If everyone is pulling on a string in different directions, nothing ends up happening. Which makes sense given after 2 years the roster is more or less the same.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - ClutchDirk - 06-18-2021

Something changed in play calling in the past year...last season KP was an all star looking player in the playoffs and was used more for scoring...

This season he became a decoy...

My opinion Bob and/or his team changed the game plan and it cost Luka a potential long playoff run...

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - fifteenth - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: last season KP was an all star looking player in the playoffs and was used more for scoring

Do you think his decreased mobility was one of the reasons they went away from him (along with the analytics data that others have shared)?

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - ClutchDirk - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Do you think his decreased mobility was one of the reasons they went away from him (along with the analytics data that others have shared)?

Maybe but the claims or complaining he was being froze out may have been due to Bob and it was a great way to tank his value...when the playoffs rolled in KP was no longer part of rhe offense...

Remember when it was a thing to feed your defender enough to keep them engaged on defense...

Whether or not he could not handle being a main player is not know since he was phased out and if I was I would quit trying on defense also...

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - ItsGoTime - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 04:06 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: You require RC to sit out two seasons.  

This is similar to Doc Rivers.  Doc wasn't coming back and LAC wanted a championship winning coach.  There aren't exactly a lot of those lying around. A late first isn't a big ask if a team thinks they are close and their window is limited.  If the Bucks lose tomorrow and they think RC is the new voice they need, the 27th overall pick is chump change.
Yes, also, I can see LaC wanting RC as well. That might make them the nightmare team they’re supposed to be.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - KillerLeft - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yes, also, I can see LaC wanting RC as well. That might make them the nightmare team they’re supposed to be.

I could see him being great for LAC, but I also don't think Lue is doing a terrible job there, actually.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - ItsGoTime - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I could see him being great for LAC, but I also don't think Lue is doing a terrible job there, actually.
There’s gonna be a lot of second guessing if they don’t make the Finals. They got to see first hand what RC can do with our team. All they have to do is imagine that on their team that is built that much better.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Kammrath - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yes, also, I can see LaC wanting RC as well. That might make them the nightmare team they’re supposed to be.

I just don't see Kawhi wanting anything to do with RC after bailing on Pop.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - HanspardShowerVoice - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 06:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Something changed in play calling in the past year...last season KP was an all star looking player in the playoffs and was used more for scoring...

This season he became a decoy...

My opinion Bob and/or his team changed the game plan and it cost Luka a potential long playoff run...

KP had one of his most efficient year and the Luka/KP pick and roll combo was deadly offensively.   The issue was his defense was among the worst in the NBA.    He couldn't play defense at the 5, and then when you play him at the 4 he's just another guy.     The Clippers were a nightmare matchup for him, which is specifically why the Clippers picked out the Mavs as their first round opponent.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - HanspardShowerVoice - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 05:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: *SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT*

In the playoffs (336 mins) KP was +18.7 on O and -8.8 on D....overall +9.9 on/off. 

That is positive......BUT he spent 191 of his 233 mins on court with Luka (+35.3) and DFS (+42.7) who had video game numbers. So the reality is this:

[Image: Screenshot-2021-06-18-5.37.36-PM.png]

GOOD NEWS: KP with Luka and DFS was part of a lineup that would have soundly beat the Clippers.

BAD NEWS: KP without those guys was part of some of the worst playoff basketball of the year.

So to the point: I think KP in that "non-star" role CAN be a plus....but if you take him away from the heavy lifters he will not fill in to carry a team. 

NOTE: With a new coach this could ALL change potentially.

Main thing to KP to me is you just got to get him back to playing to 2020-2021 level defense as a 5/rim protecter.   He doesn't have to be Oscar Robinson, just back to what he was before the meniscus tear.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Kammrath - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 07:37 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Main thing to KP to me is you just got to get him back to playing to 2020-2021 level defense as a 5/rim protecter.   He doesn't have to be Oscar Robinson, just back to what he was before the meniscus tear.

The problem from my seat is that it seems that unless he is engaged and getting shots offensively then he doesn't engage defensively.

I felt like when he was HAPPY to be back from ACL and out of NY he played GREAT D most of the time....then when he learned how much he didn't like playing with Luka and for RC, his D disappeared.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - fifteenth - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 07:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: ....then when he learned how much he didn't like playing with Luka and for RC, his D disappeared.

...or his mobility decreased greatly after his 2nd injury. Folks keep leaving this out. For some reason the forum likes "KP and Luka don't like each other" or "Rick didn't put KP in position" better than the more obvious...the dude didn't move nearly as well this season.

(06-18-2021, 07:45 PM)fifteenth Wrote: ...or his mobility decreased greatly after his 2nd injury. Folks keep leaving this out. For some reason the forum likes "KP and Luka don't like each other" or "Rick didn't put KP in position" better than the more obvious...the dude didn't move nearly as well this season.

A legit option.

BUT....from my seat I saw enough lateral quickness when he was engaged to think it was in his head and not in his knees. That might be totally accurate by me, but that is what I saw. There were times even in the first 10 games back where I saw him moving his feet like old....I saw it in the LAC series a few times too. But mostly I saw a guy who was depressed and unhappy and therefore unable to motivate himself.

(06-18-2021, 07:30 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: KP had one of his most efficient year and the Luka/KP pick and roll combo was deadly offensively.   The issue was his defense was among the worst in the NBA.    He couldn't play defense at the 5, and then when you play him at the 4 he's just another guy.     The Clippers were a nightmare matchup for him, which is specifically why the Clippers picked out the Mavs as their first round opponent.
He was brought back or allowed to come back too early which out him at a disadvantage...a certain young star took a lot longer before returning...but there were games at the end of the season and playoffs where he looked more mobile than at the first...

The deadly pnr sure wasn't used much instead whoever called the shots used KP wrongly on offense...

Defense besides DFS was unacceptable all year and it doesn't help your big have an easier night...we were promised more and better defense and instead we got to see a new assistant, trading for a defender, and most others regressing horribly...

Last seasons roster decisions and whoever was calling the shots during the game is what upsets me the most...

Luka and DFS tried but sadly schemes and other players did not...

It is best to try KP with a new Coach and hopefully a better constructed roster to see if he can be a top 3 player or at least build trade value...

There were no Luka KP issues last season but this season there is speculation there was...is that because of FO folks and their drama power grabbing contest of who could kiss Cuban's rear end the most...did the winner of the contest make things worse for KP...

(06-18-2021, 05:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Highlights of new 77 Minutes in Heaven pod -- Cato and Du Four

Now that Rick is gone, Cato feels okay with saying that the relationship problems with Rick were not limited to Luka. A lot of people in the organization were "sick of" putting up with dealing with Rick, especially on his bad days. 

Rick had lost his ability to manage the locker room. It's not that he "lost" them, exactly. More that the players perceived that he had lost authority. He was undermined by the Bob situation, intentionally or no. 

As far as a replacement, Cato likes the Mosley option, for preservation of relationships reasons. But he understands the viewpoint that the coaching staff needs a new voice on both ends of the floor. Also, Mosley would be a first-time head coach, and that has its risks and disadvantages. 

Wrt whether the team should hire a newbie or a big name, several factors come into play. Newbies are cheaper, although cost is not likely to be the deciding factor. Hiring a newbie doesn't make the big statement that a name coach would. People who have been head coaches are also much easier to vet -- they have a track record and a long list of people you can call. That information with respect to assistants either doesn't exist or is hard to ferret out.

What is the deal with Dirk's new role? Probably more for show than for real, given that is not a day-to-day position and the portfolio is undefined. Mainly a way to project stability and a calming influence -- Dirk is onboard, so things must be okay. To the extent he actually gives any advice, he is probably one of the only people on earth who could actually speak truth to Mark, but it is TBD whether Mark actually wants a critique from Dirk or really just wants his face on the effort. Dirk's involvement can't hurt, and he could add something good, you never know. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rick-carlisle-steps-down-dirk-nowitzki-sticks-around/id1492519989?i=1000526051682

Everytime I listen to Cato or McMahon or anyone of these guys who have sources within the building describe the scene  the more the whole MBT situation sounds like a toxic marriage/relationship that has gone on too long where everyone just needs to walk away from the drama and start dating other people.  

And anyone who thinks "Carlilse is a dick" angle is overblown ...  sorry, the guy is a brillant Xs and Os guy, but he's a douche.   Anyone who has been in the metroplex and seen the bullying and disrespectful way he treats people in the media knows this.    It's fine to respect his basketball acumen,  I very much do,  but let's save the martyrization for someone who actually deserves it.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - Branduil - 06-18-2021

If Rick was as abrasive and repugnant to free agents as they say, then I definitely think he makes more sense on an established team like the Bucks, where they're pretty much stuck with their roster already, and they desperately need to maximize the talent they have.

I've supported RC but if Luka doesn't like him, the choice is easy.

(06-18-2021, 07:30 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: KP had one of his most efficient year and the Luka/KP pick and roll combo was deadly offensively.   The issue was his defense was among the worst in the NBA.    He couldn't play defense at the 5, and then when you play him at the 4 he's just another guy.     The Clippers were a nightmare matchup for him, which is specifically why the Clippers picked out the Mavs as their first round opponent.

This is where I got the PNR part of my post from @"dirkfansince1998"

(06-18-2021, 08:26 PM)Branduil Wrote: If Rick was as abrasive and repugnant to free agents as they say, then I definitely think he makes more sense on an established team like the Bucks, where they're pretty much stuck with their roster already, and they desperately need to maximize the talent they have.

I've supported RC but if Luka doesn't like him, the choice is easy.

Pretty much where I stand too.  I think he would be great for the Bucks.   I think Rick is best on an established veteran lockerroom that just needs an Xs and Os edge to get them over the hump.   That's basically what the 2011 Mavs were.     I don't think he's the right guy for the job if you're building a young team who is trying to find themselves.   Its too much to ask young guys to deal with his drama and him grinding them down.

RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - KillerLeft - 06-18-2021

(06-18-2021, 08:24 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: And anyone who thinks "Carlilse is a dick" angle is overblown ...  sorry, the guy is a brillant Xs and Os guy, but he's a douche.   Anyone who has been in the metroplex and seen him bullying and disrespectul way he treats people in the media knows this.    It's fine to respect his basketball acumen, and I very much do,  but let's save the martyrization for someone who actually deserves it.

You've SEEN him being a douche? Well, that would change my opinion for sure. Please elaborate on the personal, first-hand experience that has led you to this conclusion.

I have lived in the metroplex for the entirety of his Mavs tenure, and I think he's a class act. But, I might have missed something. My mind is open.