MavsBoard
2024 NBA Draft - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2024 NBA Draft (/showthread.php?tid=2709)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - dirkfansince1998 - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 08:28 AM)david75090 Wrote: We got to see them go against each other in the tournament. I thought Edey was clearly better than Clingan. They'll both need considerable improvement to get playing time in the NBA, in my opinion. Not sure what the ceiling is on either one. Clingan is a little more mobile, Edey is more the immoveable object. In my view, they're 2nd rounders. Somebody will draft them in the 1st. Opinions are like...(you know).

I am trying to figure out why Clingan is in the top 10 of every single mock draft I have seen. I guess he is younger but he is just as bad or even worse when it comes to agility/mobility and skill wise he hasn't shown anything that stands out compared to Edey. Both score in the post. Both protect the rim. Wouldn't take either of them in the lottery. Maybe in the late first round.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - Chicagojk - 06-26-2024

Givony was talking about Edey on the Zach Lowe Podcast. He said he is really intense and just loves hitting people. You sort of see it when he plays. He plays with an attitude. Givony said that his endurance is great. Edey played almost the whole game at Purdue. How will he look playing shorter minutes and going all out? Givony sort of gave him the comparison to a 7'5 Jonas type of player. Jonas is a little older but he said Edey could be a bigger, more skilled Jonas.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - Mavs2021 - 06-26-2024

I had already seen Edey and now I have watched some Clingan. My god. No way can you take Clingan #1. That is nuts. Best case for him and Edey would be to go to Memphis at #9, where they can rely on the help defense of JJJ. If these guys are even in the discussion for high lottery picks, it must be the shittiest class of all time. Neither of these guys will be as good as Walker Kessler.

Also whoever is the agent of German C Johann Grünloh, who withdrew from this draft, should he fired. You could just mail the teams the boxscores from the Adidas tournament, where he broke Wembanyama´s blocking and rebounding records and teams would probably pick him in the lottery without knowing, if he has two functioning arms and two functioning legs.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - SleepingHero - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 08:40 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am trying to figure out why Clingan is in the top 10 of every single mock draft I have seen. I guess he is younger but he is just as bad or even worse when it comes to agility/mobility and skill wise he hasn't shown anything that stands out compared to Edey. Both score in the post. Both protect the rim. Wouldn't take either of them in the lottery. Maybe in the late first round.

I think its solely because he was the starting center for the most dominant team in college. 

But I don't understand it either. Clingan looks like he's stuck in quicksand and lurches at the ball. If he's forced to only play drop coverage I can't see him being an impact player. 

Edey I think is deserving of a lottery pick just because of how good he is at sealing other players down low. The way he shuffled from block to block, utilizing his size, was impressive to me. He also said he's working on a 3 ball and teams are going to be surprised. I think there's a better chance that Edey can have a couple of all-star years than Clingan making it in the league.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - LukaMVP - 06-26-2024

edey may be a decent pick for the 1990s basketball but these days such bigs are out of favor already. might still be useful on certain occasions though.

(06-26-2024, 09:13 AM)LukaMVP Wrote: edey may be a decent pick for the 1990s basketball but these days such bigs are out of favor already. might still be useful on certain occasions though.

If Nurkic could play 25 mins a night for the Suns, I can see Edey surviving. 

He's more mobile than Boban. Not by much, but he is.

I have been a big Edey fan for several years and he has continued to get better and better. I have no idea how he does in the pros. I think he is at least a solid backup center. He could be much more though.

I have real trouble seeing how he defends a team like Boston. Finding a way for him to stay on the court will be challenging. On the other hand, if Boston tried to put Tatum or White on him, Edey is just going to destroy that matchup....much more so than Dallas did. He is also going to make his free throws and probably help his team get into the penalty early.

I could definitely see him not working out, but if I was the Grizz, Heat, maybe Lakers, or a few other teams...I think he is worth the risk in this draft class in the late lottery/mid first.

3pt range is a difference maker for bigs imho and it'd be great if lively also develops it as a regular weapon. most of the bigs who still get paid decently in the league have 3pt range. Drummond doesn't have it and although he's still a very good defender and rebounder, he's going to play for vet min again this season more likely than not.

I think I am going to like this draft tonight...eventhough I have little opinions on most of the players.

I see the second round will be tomorrow. I hope ESPN does a decent job. I really hope guys like Perkins or Stephen A smith are not on the draft coverage. The player interviews are pretty boring. Hopefully we are not 6 picks behind when the pick is made and hopefully they have figured out this player has been traded and is not on the team that selected him. That has always been weird.

(06-26-2024, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I am going to like this draft tonight...eventhough I have little opinions on most of the players. 

I see the second round will be tomorrow.  I hope ESPN does a decent job.  I really hope guys like Perkins or Stephen A smith are not on the draft coverage.    The player interviews are pretty boring.  Hopefully we are not 6 picks behind when the pick is made and hopefully they have figured out this player has been traded and is not on the team that selected him.  That has always been weird.

I don't understand who decided at ESPN to suck all the soul and character from their coverage, and why it'd be a good idea. 

I really hate ESPN. They are an embarrassment to the league.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - Mavs2021 - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 09:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I am going to like this draft tonight...even though I have little opinions on most of the players. 

I see the second round will be tomorrow.  I hope ESPN does a decent job.  I really hope guys like Perkins or Stephen A smith are not on the draft coverage.    The player interviews are pretty boring.  Hopefully we are not 6 picks behind when the pick is made and hopefully they have figured out this player has been traded and is not on the team that selected him.  That has always been weird.

Whoops. It´s today. Thanks. Big Grin

I figured it would be Thursday + Friday.

I watched some of his games on FIBA world Cup last year. although he didn't get much playing time he did look very good on court both defensively and offensively. guy has the potential to be a solid player in NBA in the future but at this point of time he isn't quite there yet. there is a reason edey was Powell's backup. maybe he can play really good on summer Olympics and significantly raise people's expectations, but Olympics won't take place before the nba draft.

ATL is in a real tricky spot. #1 pick in a draft no one is excited about. They have a lottery protected Kings pick next year. 2025, 2026 (pick swap) and 2027 picks are all going to San Antonio. They have a lot of questions about their current team. Not sure how they get out of playin type level team. Hitting this draft pick would go a good ways. It seems like they are paying solid NBA players really high salaries. Tough place to be.

Ideally I would keep most of their youth and get off Capela, Hunter, Bey and Murray. I would keep Trae for now. The issue is I am not sure you are gettting much for those players. Maybe Murray but nothing to really move the needle, and the issue you would still be out of your picks so it is tough to try to continue to add young talent.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - Jym - 06-26-2024

Gotta think this will be the first and last time that they separate the rounds into different nights
only reason to watch round 2 would be to see trades announced but twitter leaks have killed that

These lists are typically not the most accurate. I assume it is tough to get anyone to come in when you just have the last pick in the draft. Harrison Ingram is pretty much the only draftable player they worked out per this list. I would be interested him as a two way guy. He is from Dallas. Probably a pretty good chance he goes undrafted. I am not very familar with his game. Doesn't look like a great athlete and a little smaller than expected. Put up decent stats last year for UNC.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-draft-workouts-tracker/

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - juanc - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 12:06 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: These lists are typically not the most accurate.  I assume it is tough to get anyone to come in when you just have the last pick in the draft.  Harrison Ingram is pretty much the only draftable player they worked out per this list.  I would be interested him as a two way guy.  He is from Dallas.  Probably a pretty good chance he goes undrafted.  I am not very familar with his game.  Doesn't look like a great athlete and a little smaller than expected.    Put up decent stats last year for UNC. 

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-draft-workouts-tracker/
I like David Jones and think he can be a rotational player in the league. High scoring numbers, but he wasn't really a ball hog, scored within the flow of the game.

All Things Mavs (@All_Things_Mavs)
Here is a full list of players confirmed to have pre-draft workouts with the Dallas Mavericks:

Harrison Ingram (UNC)
Blake Hinson (Pitt)
Jack Gohlke (Oakland)
Emmanuel Miller (TCU)
Anton Watson (Gonzaga)
Jaylin Williams (Auburn)
DJ Horne (NC State)
Fardaws Aimaq (Cal)
Taran Armstrong (Cairns Taipans)
Boo Buie (Northwestern)
Quinn Ellis (Trento)
Tristan Enaruna (Cleveland State)
DJ Jeffries (Mississippi State)
Daniss Jenkins (St John’s)
David Jones (Memphis)
Ilias Kamardine (JA Vichy)
Josh Oduro (Providence)
Drew Pember (UNC Asheville)
Mantas Rubstavicius (NZ Breakers)
Babacar Sane (GL Ignite)
Justin Webster (UNLV)
Moses Wood (Washington)
Jahmir Young (Maryland)

(06-26-2024, 09:54 AM)Jym Wrote: Gotta think this will be the first and last time that they separate the rounds into different nights
only reason to watch round 2 would be to see trades announced but twitter leaks have killed that

I can see the appeal as regular draft night typically drones on. Especially the last 15 picks. 

But I'm curious to see how the league carries the momentum. The 2nd round usually isn't very interesting. Its not like the NFL where you can find a good guy in rounds 3-6. 

Have to give fans an incentive to watch. I think the easiest option was for the league to just push the draft up to 5pm and end it at 12. Instead of starting at 7 and ending at 2am.

NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The Memphis Grizzlies have reportedly offered up to three picks in an effort to move into the top 5 tonight, per @HPbasketball

“League sources suggested this week that Memphis has put as many as three picks (with protections) up to try and move into the top five, including the No. 9 pick. If we assume Clingan is the target, that could put him at No. 3, No. 5 or No. 6 from Charlotte (San Antonio's trade-back appetite at No. 4 is thought to be less, especially with their other pick at No. 8).”

(Via http://bit.ly/4eIdRWu)

With all these Clingan rumors, he must've absolutely balled out in his workouts. Because frankly I don't see the appeal.