MavsBoard
2024 NBA Draft - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2024 NBA Draft (/showthread.php?tid=2709)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - SleepingHero - 06-24-2024

Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Jazz are active in trade talks leading up to the draft, per @DraftExpress (https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/40403204/2024-nba-mock-draft-latest-first-second-round-predictions-all-58-picks).

Utah is seeking another top-20 pick by packaging Nos. 29 and 32.

If the board falls a certain way, Utah appears open to trade-up possibilities from No. 10 as well.

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - Chicagojk - 06-24-2024

I really hope we continue the tradition of either buying a pick from the Kings or getting their pick in a trade. They have pick 45. Maybe that is Bronny that leads to Lebron in the future.

It would be nice to thank them for Luka, Hardy, Omax and Lebron. LOL

I can't believe the draft is right around the corner I really couldn't care less because the Mavs season just ended.

Usually we have at least a month to percolate on potential draft targets/trades.

Time to cram on guys given how volatile this draft is supposed to be

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - HoosierDaddyKidd - 06-24-2024

What do you guys think of Dalton Knecht? Is he a top 10 pick?

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - Scott41theMavs - 06-24-2024

(06-24-2024, 03:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I can't believe the draft is right around the corner  I really couldn't care less because the Mavs season just ended.

Usually we have at least a month to percolate on potential draft targets/trades.

Time to cram on guys given how volatile this draft is supposed to be

I understand that this is a terrible draft - but is it a terrible draft only in terms of the best 10 players not being much better than players 21-30? Well, then, are players 21-30 as good as the usual 21-30 in an average draft, or are they terrible too? What about the second rounders? If it's relative crap all the way through - e.g. the player picked at whatever pick is going to be way worse than the player selected on the average at that same pick in an average draft - then there's no point whatsoever in trading into it or having a pick at all.

(06-24-2024, 05:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I understand that this is a terrible draft - but is it a terrible draft only in terms of the best 10 players not being much better than players 21-30? Well, then, are players 21-30 as good as the usual 21-30 in an average draft, or are they terrible too? What about the second rounders? If it's relative crap all the way through - e.g. the player picked at whatever pick is going to be way worse than the player selected on the average at that same pick in an average draft - then there's no point whatsoever in trading into it or having a pick at all.

Every single talking head I've listened to talk about this draft have said it's one of the worst drafts of all time. 1-58.

Does that mean there aren't any good players? No. I think there will be at least a few solid guys to come out. But the fact there's no consensus top 4-5 guys 2 days before the draft is at least pretty telling to me. Further all the 2nd round/late 1st round guys can go anywhere from 20-45 is also a sign. Usually there's a pretty line of demarcation of solid guys to reaches at this point.

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - Chicagojk - 06-25-2024

I know very little about most of these prospects, but Kevin O'connor has Reed Sheppard #1 on his final big board.    I haven't seen anyone else who have had him so high.

Clingan # 2 and Castle # 3.   I really think there is something with the UCONN System though.   Last year when they won their first championship they were dominant.   Although, Sanogo was a two way guy last year.   Andre Jackson wasn't in the Bucks rotation last year.   Jordan Hawkins had some moments, but UCONN was able to pretty much get the same production from a transfer this year.

Clingan looks good.  I worry about his health though.    Jonathan Givony said he tried to get early to UCONN games to watch them warm up to get videos of Castle makes.  He said it would take him 30 minutes to see him make multiple shots in a row.   Add to this that people are not buying him as a point guard and I see some red flags.  As a freshman he looked really good though.

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - khaled1987 - 06-25-2024

Every 3 or 4 drafts there is always one that is considered "historically bad" and most of the times it is decent, but usually all over the place.
2009 was supposed to be an awful one, the same draft that had Curry, Harden, Griffin, Rubio & Holiday among others.
2011 too, as players avoided it in fear of lockout.
2013 was another one, who proved to be awful at top but good at the rest, 2016 a bit too, and iirc 2021.
There will be stars, and steals to be made, it is just a crap shot, and in such drafts it is even crapier

(06-25-2024, 02:26 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Every 3 or 4 drafts there is always one that is considered "historically bad" and most of the times it is decent, but usually all over the place.
2009 was supposed to be an awful one, the same draft that had Curry, Harden, Griffin, Rubio & Holiday among others.
2011 too, as players avoided it in fear of lockout.
2013 was another one, who proved to be awful at top but good at the rest, 2016 a bit too, and iirc 2021.
There will be stars, and steals to be made, it is just a crap shot, and in such drafts it is even crapier

I can't remember the exact #'s but Sam Vecenie was saying obviously the top of this draft is not strong.   He thought the draft was comparable to others in the 10-30 range (my numbers may be off a little).   He thought there wasn't quite as much depth after this mid tier getting into the second round though

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - SleepingHero - 06-25-2024

(06-25-2024, 02:18 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I know very little about most of these prospects, but Kevin O'connor has Reed Sheppard #1 on his final big board.    I haven't seen anyone else who have had him so high.

This feels like Killian Hayes all over again. 

Whats crazy to me is that I was listening to the Locked On Mavs podcast and Nick pointed out this prospect called Bobi Klintman. KOC had him ranked 18th. The Ringer had him at 23rd. ESPN had him ranked 32nd. The Athletic had him ranked 36th. And Nick's friend Mavs Draft had him ranked 45th.

I really can't remember such variation for a single prospect. And what's crazy is that I can point to basically every single guy outside the top 12 and paint a similar picture.

(06-25-2024, 03:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: This feels like Killian Hayes all over again. 

Whats crazy to me is that I was listening to the Locked On Mavs podcast and Nick pointed out this prospect called Bobi Klintman. KOC had him ranked 18th. The Ringer had him at 23rd. ESPN had him ranked 32nd. The Athletic had him ranked 36th. And Nick's friend Mavs Draft had him ranked 45th.

I really can't remember such variation for a single prospect. And what's crazy is that I can point to basically every single guy outside the top 12 and paint a similar picture.

It does appear much more wild this year.   Makes it tough to look at any of the prospects.   Sam Vecenie did his last mock draft.  He has the mavs taking KJ Simpson at 58.   Kevin O'conner has him at 27.  ESPn has him 52.   Bleacher report has him a 37.

RE: 2024 Draft Prospects - SleepingHero - 06-25-2024

(06-25-2024, 03:22 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It does appear much more wild this year.   Makes it tough to look at any of the prospects.   Sam Vecenie did his last mock draft.  He has the mavs taking KJ Simpson at 58.   Kevin O'conner has him at 27.  ESPn has him 52.   Bleacher report has him a 37.

Alright, lets put bets. What's the O/U Alex Sarr falls to #58?

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - SleepingHero - 06-26-2024

Okay after doing some very rushed pretty incomplete scouting, here are some guys that I like:

Role Players:
Tristan Da Silva
Alex Sarr
Zach Edey
Kel'el Ware
Devin Carter
Jared McCain
Tyler Smith
Nikola Topic
Baylor Scheierman
Nikola Duriscic

End of Bench Guys:
Kyle Filipowski
Dillon Jones
Tyler Kolek
Bobi Klintman

Projects:
Da'Ron Holmes
Yves Missi
Pacome Dadiet (I just like his name)
Bronny James

This is based on some film watching, some talking heads influence, and partially how much fun it is to say their name.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - Jym - 06-26-2024

saw a mock that had us picking Isaiah Crawford at 58 and he looks interesting
41% from 3, 1.7 blocks, 2.1 steals
6'5" with a 7 foot wingspan

everything screams solid prospect but 5th year seniors are never taken seriously

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - Mavs2021 - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 02:14 AM)Jym Wrote: saw a mock that had us picking Isaiah Crawford at 58 and he looks interesting
41% from 3, 1.7 blocks, 2.1 steals
6'5" with a 7 foot wingspan

everything screams solid prospect but 5th year seniors are never taken seriously

Raw numbers look good. Quick check says he´s from Fort Worth, Texas. Geographical advantage for a two way contract?

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - LukaMVP - 06-26-2024

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4592857/isaiah-crawford

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-louisiana-techs-isaiah-crawford

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-isaiah-crawford-is-the-most-underrated-prospect-01hzx5z6ns6z

looks like dude is one of the most underrated prospects and it would be a steal if we could get him in the mid second round. good 3pt shooting with over 40% rate behind the arc and more importantly he is a good defender. Crawford/omax would provide enough D at the wing for our 2nd unit imho.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - LukaMVP - 06-26-2024

Zach edey would be a good pick too, a traditional C with big body and decent skills. Powell's international teammate was a prospect of last year's draft at a time but he withdrew before the draft. traditional bigs are not favored in the league today but the success of Lively may encourage some team to pick him in the first round I guess.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - juanc - 06-26-2024

Draft night ahead of us, let me share my thoughts. I think tgat Devin Carter ends up as a top5 player in this draft, if not top 3. Great defense, plays bigger than he is, great athlete, I also belive in his shot. Hr nust has some poise to his game.

I am also high on Djurisic, I would take him in the lottery. I just think his game translates well to the league. I think he ends up a better player than Jovic for example.

I also like Tidjane Salaun more than Risacher(he just hasnt shown any creation of the dribble, just a C&S guy.)

Also would love to get Ryan Dunn if he somehow ends in the second round. Just think he is a special defemsive player.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - dirkfansince1998 - 06-26-2024

Just looked at the combine numbers. Edey did better than expected for a player of his size/weight. Still has a long way to go if he wants to be more than just the next Boban. Cllingan was worse than Edey in every single mobility/agility drill. Not sure if I would pick him over Edey.

RE: 2024 NBA Draft - david75090 - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 08:06 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just looked at the combine numbers. Edey did better than expected for a player of his size/weight. Still has a long way to go if he wants to be more than just the next Boban. Cllingan was worse than Edey in every single mobility/agility drill. Not sure if I would  pick him over Edey.

We got to see them go against each other in the tournament. I thought Edey was clearly better than Clingan. They'll both need considerable improvement to get playing time in the NBA, in my opinion. Not sure what the ceiling is on either one. Clingan is a little more mobile, Edey is more the immoveable object. In my view, they're 2nd rounders. Somebody will draft them in the 1st. Opinions are like...(you know).