MavsBoard
AROUND the NBA: Bam Signs 3yr/166m Max Extension| KP To Miss Start of Next Season - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: AROUND the NBA: Bam Signs 3yr/166m Max Extension| KP To Miss Start of Next Season (/showthread.php?tid=2171)

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - KillerLeft - 06-20-2024

Here's an interesting clip of JJ talking quite a while ago about why he thought he'd make a good Head Coach. I particularly like the part about "not avoiding confrontation," and know exactly what he means by that. There's way too much "just hope the problem goes away" thinking from people in charge of things in this world, and HEALTHY, PRODUCTIVE confrontation is a very good thing, and not to be avoided. Frankly, piecing everything together in hindsight, it kind of seems like that's what caught up to Carlisle in the end here. 

Anyway, I really like the hire, and get why someone would be enamored with the Laker job. I mean, it's the Laker job. Still, I feel bad for him, because I just don't think living up to expectations there is going to be possible for a while. 

https://youtu.be/fSDCH-DXalI?si=gFvhsyTqysUb9fDp

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - Knutsen - 06-20-2024

OKC trading Giddey for Caruso. Makes them much more dangerous… The race is on.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - Chicagojk - 06-20-2024

Wow…giddey to the bulls for Caruso. OKC making a move.

Just after initial thought, I like for both teams. Chicago needs to start over. Giddey had a rough year and some limitations but I think a good player is in there.

Caruso certainly fits how the thunder want to play

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - Mavs2021 - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 04:13 PM)Knutsen Wrote: OKC trading Giddey for Caruso. Makes them much more dangerous… The race is on.

Great trade for both teams. Imho makes it more likely Lavine and DeRozan are gone from Chicago.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - KillerLeft - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 04:20 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Great trade for both teams. Imho makes it more likely Lavine and DeRozan are gone from Chicago.

DeRozan, for SURE. Anyone who just watched Giddey play against Dallas and still wants him thinks he'll be right with the BALL IN HIS HANDS. That means getting people out of the mid-range. 

I like it, especially for OKC. My goodness, it didn't take long for them to address their biggest weakness. Presti just went up a notch for me.

OKC is about to be a problem, kids. Caruso is the perfect veteran for that group of youngsters, while simultaneously addressing their biggest weak spot.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - Chicagojk - 06-20-2024

Presti is slacking. He got no picks or swaps back? Loser.

(06-20-2024, 04:28 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Presti is slacking.  He got no picks or swaps back?  Loser.

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but seriously, just two weeks ago we were thinking a Caruso acquisition might take 2 firsts. They've turned down offers like that for Caruso in the past. With the hit Giddey's rep has taken this postseason...I can't believe Presti pulled this off. Seems cheap to me, but maybe that's just me undervaluing Giddey a bit. I do agree (in theory) that he'll be better off with the ball in his hands.

Imagine Caruso and Dort playing defense together. It's going to be like facing Holiday and White all over again.

I'm officially scared of OKC.

(06-20-2024, 04:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know you're being tongue in cheek, but seriously, just two weeks ago we were thinking a Caruso acquisition might take 2 firsts. They've turned down offers like that for Caruso in the past. With the hit Giddey's rep has taken this postseason...I can't believe Presti pulled this off. Seems cheap to me, but maybe that's just me undervaluing Giddey a bit. I do agree (in theory) that he'll be better off with the ball in his hands.

I think Giddeybis good but he was the weak link in the mavs series.  OKC just had better guys that can do what he does.  He is still very young too.  He needs to shoot better.

Maybe Caruso being on the last year of a deal impacted who would trade for him?

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - Knutsen - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 04:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I know you're being tongue in cheek, but seriously, just two weeks ago we were thinking a Caruso acquisition might take 2 firsts. They've turned down offers like that for Caruso in the past. With the hit Giddey's rep has taken this postseason...I can't believe Presti pulled this off. Seems cheap to me, but maybe that's just me undervaluing Giddey a bit. I do agree (in theory) that he'll be better off with the ball in his hands.

I‘m wondering if the trade value of Giddey was higher than the one of Josh Green or if we could have pulled off an Aussie for Caruso trade as well.

(06-20-2024, 04:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think Giddeybis good but he was the weak link in the mavs series.  OKC just had better guys that can do what he does.  He is still very young too.  He needs to shoot better.

Maybe Caruso being on the last year of a deal impacted who would trade for him?

There are already news that they are looking to extend him, he is eligible for 4 years and 80 million I read. If they get some beef at the four or five, with Holmgren moving to the 4 in these minutes watch out.

(06-20-2024, 04:41 PM)Knutsen Wrote: I‘m wondering if the trade value of Giddey was higher than the one of Josh Green or if we could have pulled off an Aussie for Caruso trade as well.

I'd guess that yes, Giddey is still a brighter shining prospect than Green, but only to teams willing to give him the ball, and that's honestly not a (starting) role many teams currently have open, so it's a decent question.  Just my gut reaction to your question. 

In other words, Giddey must've been on a short list of young Lonzo Ball replacements Chicago was coveting, and I can kind of see it, but I still think they missed an opportunity here. Presti has so many picks he can afford to give them out like tic tacs. They're telling us they couldn't get ONE of them?

(06-20-2024, 04:44 PM)Knutsen Wrote: There are already news that they are looking to extend him, he is eligible for 4 years and 80 million I read. If they get some beef at the four or five, with Holmgren moving to the 4 in these minutes watch out.

They still have cap room I believe and an asset base that can beat anyone’s.  They can literally compete for any player that hits the market…if they wish.

OKC was always going to be good.  Dallas just needs to continue to be smart and also rely on internal development with their youngsters in house

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - F Gump - 06-20-2024

When I proposed getting Caruso, I was told he wasn't available, or his price was 2 firsts and then some. But no, he was very available. And not even a single first was needed.

It was just a matter of finding the right offer. Sadly, OKC beat them to the punch. But I still think he could have been had by the Mavs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - audiosway - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 04:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Imagine Caruso and Dort playing defense together. It's going to be like facing Holiday and White all over again.

I'm officially scared of OKC.

I was thinking the same thing. I've wanted Caruso since he was with the Lakers. This is huge for OKC.

Now that he's gone I would love to see DFS and Dinwiddie back for Dallas' bench. I think they are missing a shooter/ball handler with size and another 3&D wing for the bench.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - audiosway - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 03:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Here's an interesting clip of JJ talking quite a while ago about why he thought he'd make a good Head Coach. I particularly like the part about "not avoiding confrontation," and know exactly what he means by that. There's way too much "just hope the problem goes away" thinking from people in charge of things in this world, and HEALTHY, PRODUCTIVE confrontation is a very good thing, and not to be avoided. Frankly, piecing everything together in hindsight, it kind of seems like that's what caught up to Carlisle in the end here. 

Anyway, I really like the hire, and get why someone would be enamored with the Laker job. I mean, it's the Laker job. Still, I feel bad for him, because I just don't think living up to expectations there is going to be possible for a while. 

https://youtu.be/fSDCH-DXalI?si=gFvhsyTqysUb9fDp

I agree. I've thought for the last year after listening to him that he could be a very good coach. His BBIQ is very high and he's relatable to the players.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-20-2024

Presti played the Bulls. I'd make that trade any day of the week. Straight up? Didn't have to give up any picks? Giddy is insurance if Ball doesn't make it all the way back. This is just the start of wheeling and dealing by all these contenders.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - Mavs2021 - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 04:41 PM)Knutsen Wrote: I‘m wondering if the trade value of Giddey was higher than the one of Josh Green or if we could have pulled off an Aussie for Caruso trade as well.

Giddey´s peak season was 17/8/6 shooting 48/33/73. Giddey is 21.
Green´s peak season was 9/3/2 shooting 54/40/72. Green is 23.

Yeah I think a player that is two years younger and doubles your averages over a season has a slightly higher trade value. 

I actually think OKC might regret this trade. They basically gave into the public opinion that Giddey was unplayable thanks to what the Mavs did. 

They dumped a 21 year old averaging 9/4/2 in 18 MPG in his first play-offs, cause the Mavs played him off the court in ONE play-off series and the media jumped on it.

Fun facts: Giddy shot 35% from three in the play-offs. Holmgren shot 26%. Giddey shot 50% from three on 4.5 attempts in the first round of the play-offs.

Bad idea to trade a 21 year old player based on one play-off series, when one team f***** with his young head. I guarantee you the Mavs will try the same approach with Caruso and say prove it.

RE: AROUND the NBA: DET Fires Monty Williams| JJ Redick Signs 4yr Deal With LAL - HoosierDaddyKid - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 05:39 PM)audiosway Wrote: I was thinking the same thing. I've wanted Caruso since he was with the Lakers. This is huge for OKC.

Now that he's gone I would love to see DFS and Dinwiddie back for Dallas' bench. I think they are missing a shooter/ball handler with size and another 3&D wing for the bench.

I don't know. I think the ship has sailed on Dinwiddie. DFS might have something left. Dinwiddie's stock has cratered since the Raptors flat out cut him, and he didn't play well with the Lakers.