MavsBoard
2019-20 Mavs News - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-20 Mavs News (/showthread.php?tid=117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Reunion Mav Old - 06-07-2020

Good points Dahlism. Regarding the asterisk, yes but the askerisk is because of all the differences. The differences make this season different, not invalid. Just like in golf where course conditions change daily, the conditions are not unfair because we all play the same golf course. This season, the situation is different but all 22 teams are playing under the same playoff conditions. Also just like golf, the goals that result in winning games is still pretty much the same....score more points. 

If the  Mavs were to pull off a championship, it wouldn't be their first one but otherwise, I would be just as happy! Asterisk be damned, lets win it.

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Dahlsim - 06-08-2020

(06-07-2020, 12:45 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Good points Dahlism. Regarding the asterisk, yes but the askerisk is because of all the differences. The differences make this season different, not invalid. Just like in golf where course conditions change daily, the conditions are not unfair because we all play the same golf course. This season, the situation is different but all 22 teams are playing under the same playoff conditions. Also just like golf, the goals that result in winning games is still pretty much the same....score more points. 

If the  Mavs were to pull off a championship, it wouldn't be their first one but otherwise, I would be just as happy! Asterisk be damned, lets win it.

Well put here: 
Quote:The differences make this season different, not invalid.
... all 22 teams are playing under the same playoff conditions.

The fact remains this will be an official Championship, and I would be surprised if players don't play just as hard to get it as they would any other season.  Heck, maybe the * asterisk and special conditions makes it even a little more desirable to win this one.   Idea

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - JamesConway - 06-08-2020

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1269990159740739584?s=20

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - michaeltex - 06-08-2020

(06-07-2020, 11:56 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 12:23 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I think this will be a lot of fun for Mav's fans.

Yes, but not only for Mavs fans, but for NBA fans all the way around. 

Shaq and others have pointed out right so that there will be a big "*" on the winner of this season, and that is certainly true.  At the same time, the championship from this year will forever get special attention, whether its positive or negative reference.  

1) The players will be playing under RISK of a very serious infection.  The risk at that point they hope and we all hope if very low, but chances are very high despite all precautions, the risk will not be ZERO.  

2) The players will be playing with possible increased increased injury risk starting with the 8 game run coming off a long layoff and without ??? how much real basketball contact before the season?  

3) Some teams will actually be healthier than they normally would have been going into the special 8 games and the playoffs!  That's sort of exciting on a whole different level.  The Mavs and other teams will be considerably less banged up than they would have been if the season had continued as normal. 

4) Neutral location for games that actually count toward a championship?  That's totally unprecedented and will be surreal to watch! 

5) The country (and the world) will be starved for sporting entertainment at that point.  Its late for the NBA but beats the NFL out of the gate. 

I could go on, but my point is, there a ton of potential intrigue and talking points associated with this unique chapter in the history of the NBA and of sports.
I certainly agree with the "*" comments, but another championship will still be sweet.

Regarding "3)", this certainly takes some of the health issues off the board, doesn't it. Excepting those unfortunates who are out long term with big injuries like DP. I hope Luka has had time to recover from his ankle issues. 

Regarding "4)", for years I have heard talk in all sports about one team's performance relative to another team "on a neutral field/court" this will really put this qualifier to the test. Because, in a normal world, nothing is really played on a neutral field.

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Hypermav - 06-08-2020

(06-08-2020, 09:06 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1269990159740739584?s=20

They can be vuvuzala players or maybe more cow bell...

If the Rockets win, it will have an asterisk.  Plus, their other two championships are Mj asterisks. Smile

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Dahlsim - 06-08-2020

(06-08-2020, 09:13 AM)michaeltex Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 11:56 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 12:23 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I think this will be a lot of fun for Mav's fans.

Yes, but not only for Mavs fans, but for NBA fans all the way around. 

Shaq and others have pointed out right so that there will be a big "*" on the winner of this season, and that is certainly true.  At the same time, the championship from this year will forever get special attention, whether its positive or negative reference.  

1) The players will be playing under RISK of a very serious infection.  The risk at that point they hope and we all hope if very low, but chances are very high despite all precautions, the risk will not be ZERO.  

2) The players will be playing with possible increased increased injury risk starting with the 8 game run coming off a long layoff and without ??? how much real basketball contact before the season?  

3) Some teams will actually be healthier than they normally would have been going into the special 8 games and the playoffs!  That's sort of exciting on a whole different level.  The Mavs and other teams will be considerably less banged up than they would have been if the season had continued as normal. 

4) Neutral location for games that actually count toward a championship?  That's totally unprecedented and will be surreal to watch! 

5) The country (and the world) will be starved for sporting entertainment at that point.  Its late for the NBA but beats the NFL out of the gate. 

I could go on, but my point is, there a ton of potential intrigue and talking points associated with this unique chapter in the history of the NBA and of sports.
I certainly agree with the "*" comments, but another championship will still be sweet.

Regarding "3)", this certainly takes some of the health issues off the board, doesn't it. Excepting those unfortunates who are out long term with big injuries like DP. I hope Luka has had time to recover from his ankle issues. 

Regarding "4)", for years I have heard talk in all sports about one team's performance relative to another team "on a neutral field/court" this will really put this qualifier to the test. Because, in a normal world, nothing is really played on a neutral field.

Re: #4 Good point.  The neutral location discussion also includes not only being neutral but the whole idea of no-live-audience games.   The NCAA tournament with crowds often has an advantage by proximity to certain teams, but here if they truly are without live audiences at all, it will be entirely different test. 

I'm reminded of YMCA type games or playground basketball, which often (not always) is relatively without audience.  Interestingly enough though, even a few people in an audience can make a difference. Lebron didn't want to play without a crowd, but that seems like an eternity ago now.  Cool  Now that its a reality, players will be looking for the inspirational edge anywhere they can find it.   

I can recall handfuls of people at some very intense playground games I was in or was at.   The production crew will be there, but will there be authorized reporters, maybe limited family or VIP there?   Family could definitely inspire some players. 

It will also to be interesting to see how they use the arena scoreboard.  Obviously a crowd will be online. They could do some things with that ...

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - michaeltex - 06-08-2020

Re: #4 Good point.  The neutral location discussion also includes not only being neutral but the whole idea of no-live-audience games.   The NCAA tournament with crowds often has an advantage by proximity to certain teams, but here if they truly are without live audiences at all, it will be entirely different test. 

I'm reminded of YMCA type games or playground basketball, which often (not always) is relatively without audience.  Interestingly enough though, even a few people in an audience can make a difference. Lebron didn't want to play without a crowd, but that seems like an eternity ago now.  Cool  Now that its a reality, players will be looking for the inspirational edge anywhere they can find it.   

I can recall handfuls of people at some very intense playground games I was in or was at.   The production crew will be there, but will there be authorized reporters, maybe limited family or VIP there?   Family could definitely inspire some players. 

It will also to be interesting to see how they use the arena scoreboard.  Obviously a crowd will be online. They could do some things with that ...

I wonder if there is something you could do with like a voting button. Everytime you like the play, you could "vote" that would then trigger canned crowd noise (maybe from recordings of the teams home arena.) The more votes, the more crowd noise. You would have to have something that tallied in <0.5 sec though or it might be too delayed to be useful. Just noodling instead of working...

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Dahlsim - 06-09-2020

(06-08-2020, 01:47 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Re: #4 Good point.  The neutral location discussion also includes not only being neutral but the whole idea of no-live-audience games.   The NCAA tournament with crowds often has an advantage by proximity to certain teams, but here if they truly are without live audiences at all, it will be entirely different test. 

I wonder if there is something you could do with like a voting button. Everytime you like the play, you could "vote" that would then trigger canned crowd noise (maybe from recordings of the teams home arena.) The more votes, the more crowd noise. You would have to have something that tallied in <0.5 sec though or it might be too delayed to be useful. Just noodling instead of working...

Why not pick up some real live crowd noise, and video as well from the respective cities represented?  Idea

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Hypermav - 06-10-2020

Cato suggested the Mavs could add Bro or Devin Harris if the rosters are expanded for Orlando.  I wonder what kind of shape Devin is in now?

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Mavs2019 - 06-13-2020

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=29298151 Butler on the LowePost

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - ClutchDirk - 06-16-2020

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1273033211598307329

https://media.giphy.com/media/RJyqy9vdwqc1hvoale/giphy.gif

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - ClutchDirk - 06-17-2020

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/will-is-away-to-nba--now/

[b]BRISBANE Bullets' burgeoning big-man Will Magnay will NOT be playing in the NBL this season, heading shortly to Orlando and Disneyworld to play NBA with, most likely, Dallas Mavericks.[/b]

Having sparked major interest from The Show, Magnay, 22 and 208cm, also is being pursued by the Philadelphia 76ers, San Antonio Spurs and Golden State Warriors but I believe he has a concrete offer from the Mavs.

Not sure if source of rumor is credible...

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Dahlsim - 06-17-2020

(06-17-2020, 06:51 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: http://www.botinagy.com/blog/will-is-away-to-nba--now/

[b]BRISBANE Bullets' burgeoning big-man Will Magnay will NOT be playing in the NBL this season, heading shortly to Orlando and Disneyworld to play NBA with, most likely, Dallas Mavericks.[/b]

Having sparked major interest from The Show, Magnay, 22 and 208cm, also is being pursued by the Philadelphia 76ers, San Antonio Spurs and Golden State Warriors but I believe he has a concrete offer from the Mavs.

Not sure if source of rumor is credible...

The player looks credible. 
Quote:Magnay, who played his college ball at Tulsa, was named the NBL’s Most Improved Player in 2020 this season. The 21-year-old averaged 8.1 PPG and 6.1 RPG in 27 games (21.9 MPG) for the Bullets

Interesting that  the Warriors are cited also here as having shown earlier interest in Magnay
If the Mavs pursuit is real Dallas may be getting an edge over the Warriors with GSW not being part of Orlando Bubble season while Dallas is headed to Disney World.  Big Grin  

A block and dunk here.  Wink   Is Magnay possibly Dwight Powell insurance

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Aussiebballer - 06-17-2020

Is he eligible to be signed under the bubble rules?

He is a decent prospect, watched him a few times in the NBL.

Doubt he would contribute much with the very limited build up.
Would be a good training camp player for next season.

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - ClutchDirk - 06-17-2020

(06-17-2020, 09:08 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Is he eligible to be signed under the bubble rules?

Yes I believe he can be signed due to rosters expanding to 17 players to finish the season...

Probably a signature Donnie move to get another diamond in the rough and see if he can contribute...

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - ItsGoTime - 06-17-2020

(06-17-2020, 08:02 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Is Magnay possibly Dwight Powell insurance ?
Thought that was WCS. Maybe he's WCS not resigning insurance?

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - JamesConway - 06-17-2020

(06-17-2020, 09:08 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Is he eligible to be signed under the bubble rules?

Can tell us a bit more about him? Is he a stretch big-type? In the few clips I watched he made quite a few trees but according to bballref.com/international he hasn't been much of a threat from outside.

I've seen one clip where he got off the floor quickly for an alley oop. That was impressive. Is he more of a Powell-type rim runner?

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Hypermav - 06-17-2020

208 cm = 6' 8"  Not really a Powell or WCS sized guy.  Or has he grown?  

(06-16-2020, 08:15 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1273033211598307329

https://media.giphy.com/media/RJyqy9vdwqc1hvoale/giphy.gif
Rondo is always the correct answer.  Smile

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - Mavs2019 - 06-17-2020

(06-17-2020, 11:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(06-17-2020, 08:02 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Is Magnay possibly Dwight Powell insurance ?
Thought that was WCS. Maybe he's WCS not resigning insurance?
Maybe WCS is even more out of shape than before the quarantine. Even in limited minutes he started to trail behind plays, because he was exhausted. 

Magnay´s points and rebounds are hardly impressive (roughly the same as former Mavs SummerLeaguer Brandon Ashley). His shooting percentages are not good: 49/19/67. 

What he has got going for him is that he´s far and away the best shotblocker in the league. 2.15 per game, with #2 coming at 1.64 per game, while playing eight more minutes per game. Looks like he could be turned into the typical Mavs rim-rolling back-up center. As an undrafted 22 year old he has time on his side.

RE: 2019-20 Mavs News - michaeltex - 06-17-2020

(06-17-2020, 09:24 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:

Yes I believe he can be signed due to rosters expanding to 17 players to finish the season...

Probably a signature Donnie move to get another diamond in the rough and see if he can contribute...

I thought I saw somewhere that the Mavs would have to release someone to pick up an outside player. They currently have 13 actives, 2 IRs, and 2 2-way players. That's 17 and I think someone has to go to bring in a fresh body.
But I've been wrong before.

DLord was always good with this stuff.